The pop that was hear around the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Ed,

I really like your quotes, and they are extremely appropriate and timely right now. My favorites are Chekhov and Rowling's.

Like it or not I am being forced to be extremely patient as I wait for a surgery date. I am currently living in a lot of daily pain, and having to struggle to go to work so I don't lose my job and my mind. I am getting tired of people asking me "how do you manage to work?" So far I have no prospective date, which is very frustrating. Apparently it is quite a trick to schedule an all day surgery that requires 2 surgeons onto a fully booked schedule.

So dear Ed, I will go take a whole bunch more deep breaths, and read over your quotes and link while channeling inner calm.
    Last edited by leahdragonfly; 09-05-2015, 10:50 AM.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• I am so sorry, Gayle. Don't know what to say, just wanted to let you know that my thoughts are with you...
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

• I also don’t really know what to say Gayle. I posted the Dr Marsh article since I knew you would understand...and see what these surgeons can be up against. Maybe its best not to influence or even say anything since they have such a heavy load....Sometimes I wonder how they do it? Even they need that occasional cigarette. It makes it hard when you are in agony waiting and wondering. You want it done but you don’t want to rush these guys.......you just want it all to come out perfectly.

They know what to do. They think about it all the time.

As a skier for many years, I would traverse through the woods and find a perfect spot to take a break.....no, I never did it in the lodge, hard core skiers don’t really do that. Many times those spots offered fantastic views, or pockets of pines in the forest which are great spots to stop and think and reflect. Almost like a mountain goat, up there all alone on the cliff. I came to realize that these mountain goats have the right idea.

Ed
        Last edited by titaniumed; 09-05-2015, 10:16 AM.
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Ed, you are very wise, calm, and right as usual. I am trying to channel that. I had a tough day yesterday, all the pain/exhaustion/frustration bubbled up and I had a good cry. The effort required to work through the pain is exhausting, and I haven't been sleeping well because I am uncomfortable in bed. Everybody gets to feel a little sorry for themselves and have a little pity party once in a while in this situation, right?

Dr Hart cleared September 25th for me, but they are having a hard time finding the second surgeon to do the anterior exposure, but I hope to know something early next week. I trust Dr Hart to work this out, and like you say, I want it to be in the right circumstances so everything goes perfectly.

I have a 3 day weekend now, so maybe I will take my kids into the woods and try to find that quiet, sweet spot to regain my inner calm.

Irina, thanks also for your well-wishes. That means a lot to me.
          Last edited by leahdragonfly; 09-05-2015, 11:19 AM.
          Gayle, age 50

Comment

• Gayle,

I really do not have anything to add except my wishes for a good result

Melissa
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Thank you so much, Melissa. As a fellow survivor of multiple broken rods, you have a firsthand idea of what I'm going through.

Take care,

Gayle
              Gayle, age 50

Comment

• Revision September 23rd

Hi all,

Everything worked out and I am scheduled for my revision surgery on September 23rd---I am so relieved that it will be here soon. I go next Tuesday for my pre-op testing and appointment and will find out all the surgical details. Dr Hart now sends all of his patients who are having "bigger surgeries" (as his scheduler put it) for a pre-op consultation for pain management during the inpatient post-surgical period. All of the post-op pain is managed by the comprehensive pain service, which sounds like a great idea to me!

I am so ready to get this done and get on the road to recovery.
                Gayle, age 50

Comment

• So happy for you, Gayle. I hope this will be the last op for you. :-)
                  Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                  Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• I am glad that you have a surgical date. I hope that this is the last one for you.

Melissa
                    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Not long now. Best of luck and as others have said, I hope it's the last!
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• The end is in sight. Grit and bear it. In many ways, this surgery and recovery will be easier. You know what to expect.
                        I know that you will do well.
                        Let me know if I can help you or your family in any way.
                        Susan

Wonder if a slow growing infection could be the problem. Why did Dr. Hart say that he thought that the rods broke?
                        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                          All of the post-op pain is managed by the comprehensive pain service, which sounds like a great idea to me!
                          Yes, it is. I never did meet my Dr Feelgood but had many appointments with him....(smiley face) and he did a fantastic job. I had no PCA, and was totally dependent on the laptop at the end of my bed. My shots were every 4 hours.

Hang in there....

Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Gayle I would like to add my good wishes to you. And also hope this will be your last revision.
                            Marianne
                            rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
                            Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
                            T11-L5
                            Decompression with multiple discectomies
                            Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
                            Osteotomies and local bone grafting
                            Revision Feb.22, 2018
                            Replaced rods
                            Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
                            Used BPM to help with fusing
                            Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis

Comment

• Leaha, do they know why your rods break? Are they always breaking at the same level? Just wondering if there is a problem with an area of fusing in one part of your spine? Of course we are all fearful of the same situation. I am one who has been through multiple spine surgeries so I send you armfuls of support. I will be thinking about you and praying for a successful recovery.

Comment

• I met with Dr Hart during my various pre-op appts today. He really does not think I have an infection but they will check for it. He feels this rod break, which is several levels lower than last time, is from a pseudoarthrosis. Apparently L5-S1 is the hardest joint to fuse. The combined anterior/posterior approach should do the trick. It sounds like the ALIF is no treat to recover from though. Dr Hart estimated 7.5 hours of surgery with the first night in ICU.

Thanks for all the well-wishes...I am ready to get this done!
                                Gayle, age 50

Comment

Working...
                                X