Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are the symptoms of hardware infection ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cathy

Cathy you have really been through alot. Only you know what that has been like to go through all of that. I'm really glad that you are recovering and getting your life back. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Leanne

The areas of non union will have to be re-fused. This is something that cant be ignored....Since you have had problems with this, BMP will probably be considered. Did you ever end up at Mayo? Just wondering...

Cathy

It sure has been a trial for you,(both of you) and have been wondering how you have been doing since your PM. We are glad you posted. Its good to hear that you are getting better.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Leanne...

If you have non-fused areas, the pain you're having is far more likely to come from the non-fusion than from the implants. I agree with Ed. You're probably going to need to have more surgery to fuse those areas.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

So, this has to be addressed now at 13-14 months post surgery ?
          I agree some pain may be coming from non union areas. But the extreme stinging and soreness that I have in/on the hardware does'nt seem like what non union pain would be. I have bumps that I just assume are screws and not more sutures ( how will I know) that are so severely sore I cant touch them.
          There is something really wrong when I cant even touch all these bumps/screws/ sutures(?) they are so sore they give me the chills. I wondered last night if not only are the bumps at the base of my neck and at the hip graft sutures, but that I may have more such as the one I had removed, throughout the whole incision area every where. CT's can't detect sutures or calcified sutures? The 1st one removed my surgeon said he couldn't see it on MRI even. How are they detected then ?
          All that I know is, these bumps all over have severe pain, the kind like when you have a terrible sliver and leave it. If they are screws there is something seriously wrong. if they are sutures I need to know how to be sure of this.
          I went to the Mayo clinic and was told by the Dr he would not help me without a referral from my surgeon. Came with all of my x-rays, Ct's etc. I had a referral from my family Dr. Not enough. I wrote 2 letters to my surgeon asking for this referral and was told he wouldn't "consider" it unless I see him for evaluation. I'm not going back to him. He could look at my current CT and evaluate from that.

Comment

Maybe you could have someone take some photos of your back??
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

My blood boils at how you're being treated Leanne. You should be getting treatment as a matter of urgency. I'm thinking you might have to jump through one more hoop and revisit your surgeon for that referral. Then name and shame him. He's a disgrace to his profession. Some people seem to have not a skerrick of conscience.

Thank goodness for the good surgeons who do care about their patient's welfare and outcome.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I may revisit my surgeon, but trust is gone and so far he has never addressed my concerns, said "hang in there" every time I saw him, even with the past suture sticking out like a nail I waited 6 weeks then begged to have it removed. He isn't going to address or report anything wrong that would make him look bad.
                The Mayo clinic may be a great place for unique situations, but a Dr that turns you away without caring about the medical issues you may have once you are there ? Is that truly caring Dr ?

Jennifer thank you for caring. The Dr's I have seen who have worked with my surgeon in the past, the appointments were a waste of time.

Linda, why or who would I take photos of my back for ? What and or how would this help ? I'm confused by your suggestion.

I re-worded my posting here. I didn't like the way it reflected my view of things lately. I am frustrated and I truly need to keep my personal view out.
                Last edited by leannebr; 12-18-2011, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I've personally never seen anything like what you describe, so I thought having pictures of the bumps might help us understand what you're describing.
                  Last edited by LindaRacine; 12-19-2011, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Leanne--
                    I don't have any ideas for you either--except I can't believe how the doctors are avoiding giving you any help on this. That's just horrible. I've never understood if it is a lawsuit they are worried about, how they think ignoring someone in pain is going to help them avoid one! If there is a lot of redness along the scar and/or bumps that are visible, a picture might help someone in the know on here give you an idea. I hope you can find some answers. Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Leanne,
                      I have no other suggestions but just feel so bad that you are going through such a rough time. I hope you can get to the bottom of this and figure out what is going on so that you can start feeling better.
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by leannebr View Post
                        I have heard you cant detect it with blood tests and that you don't have a fever. Has anyone out there had infection on their hardware ?
                        Oh yes, a huge infection!! I was walking, then started falling, my hips just " gave way". WBC was elevated, sed rate up, constant burning with movement...had to go to ER, they took out a liter of "stuff" And replaced ALL the hardware! On IV antibiotics with a picc-line for 8 weeks...all the while my surgeon said "you're falling b/c you're taking too many narcotics...NOT!!! Mine was found with an MRI, please follow up And follow your instincts.
                        Sincerely,
                        Laura.

Comment

a

Ed,

your pics are amazing and inspiring. I am 62 and looking to have surgery very close to my 63rd birthday. The concerns I have about being able to twist while coming to an intersection while driving have been relieved to some degree, since I know everyone is different.

Comment

Laura

Thx for posting...and welcome to the forum. So sorry about the infection. Do you know what kind of metal was used in your hardware?

Wish2bstraight

Once again, thx for posting and welcome to the forum.

Yes, the pics of Zion really are amazing! (smiley face)

I have been travelling all over the west and have internet here. I’m off to Great Basin National park tomorrow morning in east Nevada and never know if I can get online....Anyway, ask any questions you like. We have great posters here!

Driving isn’t an issue for me at all. I back a 31 foot RV through the trees when I camp and have not hit any buffalo yet.

Ed
                            Attached Files
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                            X