Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help im desperate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help im desperate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi am Nicole.

Iv'e been told I may need surgery!! ( I have a 35 degree curve and they talk surgery at a 40 degree curve) Now im wondering if its that bad. here are some questions I would like to know. ( please dont get me SCARED though )

- Do you feel sick or anything afterwards?

- Do you stay over night?

- Any tips to help the pain?

- Should I get a lot of rest, how much.

- Any thing else?

P.S

Please dont say that it will REALLY hurt. And you can tell me the story of your surgery. ( dont mention anything with pain in it though)

Hi Nicole - I'm not sure what it is you're exactly asking about? Fusion surgery? Recovery? I'm not sure what your asking when you ask about "feeling sick afterwards" - do you mean from anesthesia? It would be helpful if you give a little more background on what you're experiencing and what your doctor has recommended. Is your doctor saying you "may" need surgery and so he's waiting to see if it progresses or has he said you need surgery? More details would help.

Michele
    1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
    Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
    Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
    Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
    www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Nicole,
      I'm just going to tell you it straight.
      Yes you will be staying over night for about 4-5 days.
      Yes you will have pain but your so doped up you have no idea what's going on at first.but it's not that bad.
      I was up and going 6 weeks after surgery. You are stuck laying down for at least a month. But walk as much as possible.i would start drinking protein shakes and iron. That well help you heal. One perc about it well with me it was. I lost 30 lbs from the surgery. I'm not fat or anything but that was kinda fun to be really skinny lol get a lot of books and DVDs or net flicks that will help entertain you. I am here for you anytime you start panicking. I do everything other day but I just remember that is all temp. And if I don't the permanent damage will be far work and forever. Stay tough you can do it.

Comment

Oh and I never felt sick. I was 15 when I had mine and it really wasn't that bad. Sorry my last post
        Autocorrect switched my words. Hopefully you can decode what I was saying.lol

Comment

Hi - my daughter just had her fusion surgery last Monday. We came home on Sunday and would have been home on Saturday if we lived closer to the hospital (we are 4 hours away). Anyway..... it's not a picnic, but it was actually better than we had thought it would be. Actually I am having trouble keeping my daughter down!! She is 12 and is very active, and so it is very hard for her to keep quiet. She is bored with watching movies etc.
          Not bad for only a week after surgery!!! She is almost off her meds besides tylenol. We go for little walks and this seems to help with the stiffness in her back. If you have any questions, please feel free to pm us or post it here. All the best!
          Last edited by CAmomof2; 12-06-2011, 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling
          CAmomof2

July 07 - T 26*
          Aug 08 - curve now 22*
          Sept 08 - SpineCor Brace (in brace 17*) Ste. Justine
          March 09 - in brace 14*
          Aug 09 - in brace 14* / MRI normal
          Feb 10 - in brace 18* - had an oob xray - now 35*
          June 10 Considered VBS T 32*, L 27* , Stopped SpineCor brace
          Sept 10 T 38*, L 26*
          April 11 T 45*, L 31*
          July 11 T 51*, L 37*
          MIS SURGERY - NOV 28, 2011 / Age 12 / Fused T4 - T12

Comment

Originally posted by CAmomof2 View Post
            Hi - my daughter just had her fusion surgery last Monday. We came home on Sunday and would have been home on Saturday if we lived closer to the hospital (we are 4 hours away). Anyway..... it's not a picnic, but it was actually better than we had thought it would be. Actually I am having trouble keeping my daughter down!! She is 12 and is very active, and so it is very hard for her to keep quiet. She is bored with watching movies etc.
            Not bad for only a week after surgery!!! She is almost off her meds besides tylenol. We go for little walks and this seems to help with the stiffness in her back. If you have any questions, please feel free to pm us or post it here. All the best!
            Congratulations! It sounds like she has done very well!
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

- Do you feel sick or anything afterwards? I was sick afterwards

- Do you stay over night? yes you stay over night

- Any tips to help the pain? for me to take deep breaths

- Should I get a lot of rest, how much. well your on bed rest when your in the ICU basicaly the whole time in the hospital

- Any thing else? make sure you being a favorite stuffed animal
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

Originally posted by CAmomof2 View Post
                Don't mean to hijack but camomof2 that is so wonderful! I wish that we were able to have the same type surgery for Jacob's 1/3/12 surgery, but we just have such a comfort level w Dr Cronen & feel he is best for us. Hopefully we will have a similar outcome regardless. Please post sometime about your daughter's experience & progress - we all learn from other's experience & share in recovery hopes. All the very best, LeighAnn
                Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Thanks Pooka and LSKOCH5! Yes, she is doing very well. Feels great to have it done and over with. Finger crossed that we won't have to deal with infection or falls!!!!!
                  CAmomof2

July 07 - T 26*
                  Aug 08 - curve now 22*
                  Sept 08 - SpineCor Brace (in brace 17*) Ste. Justine
                  March 09 - in brace 14*
                  Aug 09 - in brace 14* / MRI normal
                  Feb 10 - in brace 18* - had an oob xray - now 35*
                  June 10 Considered VBS T 32*, L 27* , Stopped SpineCor brace
                  Sept 10 T 38*, L 26*
                  April 11 T 45*, L 31*
                  July 11 T 51*, L 37*
                  MIS SURGERY - NOV 28, 2011 / Age 12 / Fused T4 - T12

Comment

You are going to be okay

Do you feel sick or anything afterwards? - No I dont remember feeling sick sick. But im not quite sure what you mean by sick. When i left the hospital I felt a a little weak and wasn't able to do much but not sick (by how i see it)

Do you stay over night? - yes. For a few days.

Any tips to help the pain? - For me the best way to deal with the pain is the medicatation and really try to focus on other things. I mainly focussed on my school work and did alot of sleeping because i was on alot of drugs.

Should I get a lot of rest, how much. - Rest before the surgery but you will be resting alot afterwards too. I don't that rest beforehand is a big thing.

Any thing else? - Yes - i had my surgery 12 years ago and i remember waking up and feeling my stitches. i also remember being on a one of those medication drips. where you press the button and medicine is released. It is also timed thou so there is only a certain amount of times that you can press the button, but believe me i presed it every time i could. So with that being said the hospital stay was was blurr.

i had to wear a brace when i got out of the hospital and it was uncomfortable. I wore it for months. i was still on drugs at home. i ate very little and spent alot of time laying down. I hated when people tried to be nice and visit me because i felt like a mess. But i still remember the day i got up from the bed on my own. Doesn't sound like much does it? but it was the greatest thing ever for me. It was tough but i was tired of having to call someone to so everything little thing. I remember this mostly because i was so proud of myself for doing it on my own. so these little things will help you smile.

fast forwarding to now. i'm okay - i'm here. - feel free to ask me anything else im not sure what else to mention. remember - YOU ARE GOING TO BE OKAY!!

Comment

Working...
                    X