I need some information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some information

My son has an initial appointment with Shriner's Hospital in January, 2004. I don't know what to expect at the initial visit.
    Will he measured for a brace if needed at this time or is the appintment just for them to diagnose him themselves.

I don's know anyone personally who has been before. I would appreciate someone giving me some information.

Thanks Michelle Armstrong
    Mom of 13 year old son with scoliosis

the shriners

Hi, my name is Rebecca. I am also attending the shriners hospital. I am currently in a brace. OK, um at the innitial appt. you go to the patient waiting room. They call you back, take your wieght, and take your height, the normal stuff. Then the nurse talks to you. once the docter comes to see you if you have any questions he will let you ask them. He'll look at any x-rays you have. He'll tell you the curve measure according to him. Some time you will get x-rays, but i'm not sure when during that first visit. If the doctor feels that your son's curve is bad enough yes he will get a brace. You'll go to the brace shop and get measured for a brace. Now, because you're going to the Shriner's you won't have to pay for the brace, wich is good because they are 2000-3000 dollars. When you come for the brace don't be worried. Ask if you can take your son back to the motel for the night enstead of staying in the hospital, and they will probably let you. WARNNG: most of your son's pant will be too small once he gets a brace. Be sure to bring strechey pants. The shirner's hospital is a VERRY GOOD place to be treated, everyone is friendly and they aren't late like most doctors.
    Good luck,
    Rebecca
    PS if your son doesn't like his brace tell him this: my curve was 34 and when I wear my brace, its only 11!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~~Rebecca, 15 years old, 10th grade~~
    I was braced for 2 years and 4 months
    I went through 3 Boston Braces
    Original curve~34*
    Curve in 1st Brace~9*
    Curve in 2nd Brace~14*
    Curve in 3rd Brace~27*
    Curve after bracing~34*

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

Thankyou so much for replying. He is already in a brace for 22 hours per day. The reason we are going to Shriners is because he needs a new brace 2nd in 6 months and they are so expensive. I have also heard great things about them.

What did you mean about taking him back to the motel instead of the hospital. Do they usually want you to stay during the brace fitting or what do you mean/

Thanks so much because we didn't know whether he would be fitted that day or not.
      Mom of 13 year old son with scoliosis

Comment

Hi. When you go to get his brace, after the fitting, they will give your son a room and he will be an official patient. If you are too far away from the hospital, they will give him a room that he'll share with 1-3 others. They will let you stay if there is room. they will want to keep him at the hospital. but, maby if you ask, and everyting is going good, they will release yall and let you stay in a hotel. If you want to get more details, you can e-mail my mom at cln2th@yahoo.com
        I hope my letter was clear,
        rebecca
        ~~Rebecca, 15 years old, 10th grade~~
        I was braced for 2 years and 4 months
        I went through 3 Boston Braces
        Original curve~34*
        Curve in 1st Brace~9*
        Curve in 2nd Brace~14*
        Curve in 3rd Brace~27*
        Curve after bracing~34*

Comment

Working...