Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Years Post-op Report + How to Help Scoliosis in Africa

Hi Fellow Scolis -

I am three years post-operative and I continue to do very well. I have a blog about my recovery http://www.gingerinrecovery.blogspot.com (also a link at the bottom of this page) and another blog about my current life - http://gingersnapgems.blogspot.com. Before surgery, I was hardly able to manage minimal activities of daily living. Last year, I traveled through Africa and Europe. This weekend, I'm hiking the canyons in Zion's National Park. I continue to take four pills of 50 mg Tramadol and 150 mgs of Lyrica every day. Without medication, I do get into pain. After all, the parts of my spine which were NOT fused are still mal-formed from scoliosis and they are taking on extra stress due to the fusions. Add to that, my next birthday is the big 60 - I'm not young. This doesn't change the important fact: I thank my lucky stars for getting my life back through my scoliosis surgery.

Since it's the holidays, I want to post about the one foundation which is helping children in Africa with Scoliosis - FOCOS. The founder is Dr. Boachie, originally from Ghana. He was the previous president of the Scoliosis Research Society. If you want to help a child get a STRAIGHT SPINE, please go here: http://www.orthofocos.org. I think it's a great way for us scolis to help children who have no resources. Even a small amount of funds can help.

I am not associated with the foundation. However, I have donated and so have my family members who care about scoliosis because they are related to ME!

Please consider it.
    Ginger
    Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
    May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
    Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

More than happy to help. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hey friend! Good to see you posting-- and thanks for the information. It was also interesting to see you are still having some pain and taking meds for it. It seems like so many are pain free so quickly that it makes me wonder. I watch your blog some and you are always so active that I thought you had no problems. Sorry to hear you still have pain, but glad you lead such an active life. I get some aches, but don't need the meds (I have tramadol also) usually. Take care.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger W. View Post
        Hi Fellow Scolis -

I am three years post-operative and I continue to do very well. I have a blog about my recovery http://www.gingerinrecovery.blogspot.com (also a link at the bottom of this page) and another blog about my current life - http://gingersnapgems.blogspot.com. Before surgery, I was hardly able to manage minimal activities of daily living. Last year, I traveled through Africa and Europe. This weekend, I'm hiking the canyons in Zion's National Park. I continue to take four pills of 50 mg Tramadol and 150 mgs of Lyrica every day. Without medication, I do get into pain. After all, the parts of my spine which were NOT fused are still mal-formed from scoliosis and they are taking on extra stress due to the fusions. Add to that, my next birthday is the big 60 - I'm not young. This doesn't change the important fact: I thank my lucky stars for getting my life back through my scoliosis surgery.

Since it's the holidays, I want to post about the one foundation which is helping children in Africa with Scoliosis - FOCOS. The founder is Dr. Boachie, originally from Ghana. He was the previous president of the Scoliosis Research Society. If you want to help a child get a STRAIGHT SPINE, please go here: http://www.orthofocos.org. I think it's a great way for us scolis to help children who have no resources. Even a small amount of funds can help.

I am not associated with the foundation. However, I have donated and so have my family members who care about scoliosis because they are related to ME!

Please consider it.
        Ginger
        I spent what seemed like forever looking at life stories of these poor kids. Dr. Boachie does some amazing work. I feel bad, though, that many of those kids need multi-step procedures like Elias, but due to time constraints can only have one procedure and not get as good of results as they could if they were here. It's so sad, but at least they get some degree of correction and their lives back to almost normal. It's truly amazing what even one procedure can accomplish. I wish I had the power to help every kid out there who is suffering for one reason or another...:-(
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Hi Ginger,

how good to hear from you. I am glad that you are able to globetrot and live life as full as possible!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
          X