Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Expect? And What to Take?

Hi all,

My daughter is having spinal fusion in the UK in Early December. I haven't been on this site for a while and the layout has changed considerably - I don't really know my way around anymore and don't want to risk posting in the wrong section as this seems to have caused issues...

Anyway, my questions have probably been answered thousands of times on the site and I was looking for some kind of sticky that might give a first time surgery mummy any tips and ideas from those who have already been through it.

If there is such a thread somewhere on here please accept my appologies and point me in the right direction.

Many thanks,

Laura
    UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
    10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
    Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

I think that a lot might depend on if you are traveling or going local. LOTS of mom's on here that have been through this. Pooka1 has had two daughters fused. Recently Elisa's son Elias was fused, so if you can find their threads or PM them, I'm sure you can get some good advice. Hope all goes well!
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Our situation was a little different b/c my son had two surgeries, four weeks apart and halo traction in between. We lived at the hospital for six weeks (out of country) so we took quite a lot of stuff!

I'm sure others here who have had kids stay only a week or so in the hospital could comment on what they brought and how things went for them. I wouldn't think you'd need much though other than some personal items, a nice pillow, soft blanket, laptop/ipad/ipod would be nice, a few movies to watch, jammies and slippers. You don't need much really for such a short stay.
      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Hey Laura!

Nice to hear from you but sorry to hear Immy (that's correct, isn't it? My memory is going) is scheduled for surgery.

If you post questions plenty of us can answer them.

If you prefer, I will give you my email privately.

I posted several threads of my girls and what they experienced in their fusions before I recognized the wisdom of just adding on to one thread as others have done. If you search on my name and threads started, go back to about 26 March 2008 for one and about 6 October 2009 for the other. Then there were subsequent threads on their progress, coming home, return to school, coming off restrictions, etc.

You can do this.

Best regards,
        Sharon
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

In re what to bring to the hospital, practically nothing in my opinion. One kid managed to get into pajamas towards the end but I don't think the other kid did. The non-stick socks were better than slippers. They had IPods for music and listened to that a bit but mostly they were zonked out.

You will be home before your daughter will need anything (besides pain meds!).

Sharon
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thank you Sharon, I'll have a look at your threads. I'm sure I have read them before - but they weren't so relevant to me then! Yeah, it is Immi (although with an i rather than y these days ). She (and we) are fine about the whole thing at the moment. We've known this was coming for a long, long time and Immi is keen to get it sorted now.

Thanks for your good wishes.
            x
            UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
            10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.

Comment

Hi! We are in the same situation as you are. Our daughter is having her surgery on Nov. 28th. We just had pre-op on Monday and they told us to bring things like chapstick, loose fitting comfortable clothes (preferably button-up tops), slippers with a back on them or sneakers, books, ipods etc. (although they have a tv, dvd and xbox in each room - pretty cool), any special drinks etc that the child likes as there will be a minifridge in the room, their own pillow and blanket, and if they have a special stuffed toy etc.
              So, pretty basic stuff really. We were told to braid (2 braids) her hair. I'm also bringing a few xtra pillowcases so that I can change them for her. Nice to have fresh linens that are your own. Like Pooka said, I think she will be sleepy alot of the time, so remember to bring stuff for you to do as the time may seem long. I am nervous - just wanting it to be all over at this point. We'll be thinking of you. How is your daughter coping with it all?
              CAmomof2

July 07 - T 26*
              Aug 08 - curve now 22*
              Sept 08 - SpineCor Brace (in brace 17*) Ste. Justine
              March 09 - in brace 14*
              Aug 09 - in brace 14* / MRI normal
              Feb 10 - in brace 18* - had an oob xray - now 35*
              June 10 Considered VBS T 32*, L 27* , Stopped SpineCor brace
              Sept 10 T 38*, L 26*
              April 11 T 45*, L 31*
              July 11 T 51*, L 37*
              MIS SURGERY - NOV 28, 2011 / Age 12 / Fused T4 - T12

Comment

Hi CAmomof2.
                Thanks for your reply, very useful information . Immi is fine, just beginning to get a bit nervous but really keen to get it over with.
                Sending you HUGE cyber hugs for Monday.
                ((((xxxx))))

Laura

Comment

Be sure to take your own sanitary pads as a lot of girls start their periods during their hospital stay and you don't want the pads that the hospital will offer. Remember to take some comfort things for yourselves.

Mary Lou
                  Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
                  X