No announcement yet.

Exercise Limitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone! I've been so busy job searching and finishing up projects before I have to return to work that I have neglected my forum friends! My bad...

I'm with all of you on the thoughts about impact exercises. There are so many options to stay in shape, so why risk anything? You don't want to have problems down the road. We need to take care of our spines.

I believe any good instructor should help students with alternate moves in any type of exercise classes. If they won't, I would find another class... You need someone more understanding and supportive. Follow along, then do your own thing while everyone else does the moves we aren't able to do. It isn't against the law! The point is to just stay fit!!

Personally, I can't wait to be fully fused and turned loose. I am exercising, but not like I should be. Still being a little cautious. I miss my pre-surgery muscles. I'm not in the greatest shape anymore...I've never been soft in my entire life!!!
    Jenee'-52
    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
    9 hours
    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
    Non-fusion
    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Jenee',
      Can you believe how soon our year anniversaries will be hear? When is your appointment? Mine is not until Jan. 18 which will be almost two weeks after my year anniversary. I won't put the champagne on ice until I hear from Dr. Lenke on the 18th that everything is good & if it is, I will celebrate!!!
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

When I first went back to group exercise classes, I limited my 'jumping' moves; for instance, doing a one-legged jumping jack felt better to me than a 2-legged one. Now that I'm 3 years later, I find that I am jumping more, and doing (or attempting) more bending and twisting moves than I did at first.

Just start out doing what is comfortable, and go from there. You might find that over time more movements are comfortable for you too.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Oops!

I just noticed I typed "hear" instead of "here". I really do know better. I guess I was in a hurry.
          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

I am almost at my one-year anniversary. I don't care about the limitations. I can do what I couldn't do before and that is walk and "hike" without pain. It is so exciting. I have joined the rest of the world in being able to get out in the woods and enjoy nature and go for a walk/hike. We have had intermittent days in the 60's in Massachusetts and I have taken advantage of them.

I am doing more poses of my Svaroopa yoga but watch the bending and twisting. There are modifications of poses that I do in a chair.

Finally, I can tie my shoes by lying on my back and doing a crooked leg pose with one ankle on the opposite knee. That only happened recently. I think the stretching exercises of yoga helped with that. I have been able to put on socks for a while.

In addition, I am going to the rehab pool and doing exercises as well as walking in various ways both forward and backwards. I couldn't walk in the pool before surgery unless I was in deep water over my head. Now, I walk in chest high water.

I have been cleared for biking, kayaking, and cross-country skiing but haven't tried any of it yet. I'm still excited about being able to walk pain free.

So, concentrate on what you CAN do and work around what you can't.

Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving!

Irene
            1996 x-rays (none read recently) 50 degrees thoracic, 40 degrees lumbar
            Never braced, found out I had scoliosis at age 28
            At time of surgery, multi-level disc spondylotic degeneration,
            advanced lumbar degeneration, stenosis
            65 years young and very active but no lengthy walks or standing without pain
            Now, 67. walking and standing as much as I want
            Surgery Dec. 7, 2010
            T10-S1 posterior
            Dr. Rand
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston,
            http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/itr1/

Comment

Irene,
              It is good to hear from you and Jenee'. Do you remember how stressful this time was a year ago? I am thankful for a smooth recovery and successful surgery. Trust me . . . I have no complaints with any of the possible restrictions. My main concern is to avoid doing anything that could cause problems for my spine, whether it be now or years from now.
              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Karen,
                I continue to be very careful and not overdue any of the exercises or yoga poses. This should be true whether or not someone has had surgery or not. Unfortunately, we don't always find out whether an exercise or pose is good or not until after we have done it. I guess starting out with few repetitions and building up slowly or holding a pose for less time will help.

I will try tying my shoes with one knee down instead of lying on my back. I tried tying with one foot up on the third step but couldn't do it. I don't have that much flexibility yet.

It is great to be November 2011 and not November 2010.

We have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.
                1996 x-rays (none read recently) 50 degrees thoracic, 40 degrees lumbar
                Never braced, found out I had scoliosis at age 28
                At time of surgery, multi-level disc spondylotic degeneration,
                advanced lumbar degeneration, stenosis
                65 years young and very active but no lengthy walks or standing without pain
                Now, 67. walking and standing as much as I want
                Surgery Dec. 7, 2010
                T10-S1 posterior
                Dr. Rand
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston,
                http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/itr1/

Comment

Working...
                X