Extreme pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme pain

I had surgery monday from t2 ti l4. The pain is almost more than I bare Any suggestions?

Tell the surgeon. You may need more or different pain meds.

Are you still in the hospital?

Don't suffer. Do you have someone who can advocate for you if necessary?

Good luck.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

It is normal for the pain to be very bad at this point, and I agree with Sharon--the meds you have aren't working for you. They'll either up your doseages or change to something else.

Good luck,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I am still in here today. They plan on letting me go home tonight. Scared. Surgery went from 74 to 16. But,,,lots of pain.

Comment

Kayde, remember you posted a little while ago you expected 9 or 10 scale pain...but make sure everybody knows how hard it is for you to bear and they should get you something stronger.
          Stephanie, age 56
          Diagnosed age 8
          Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
          Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
          Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
          Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
          Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
          Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Kayde,

The fact that you are still able to post to this thread and in pain is a pretty good indication. Stand up for your rights--if you have friends or family there with you, ask them to stand up for you for meds to help you get through the pain. Most poeple are on Oxycudone (sp?) at this point. Probably taking them every four hours.

Also, what might be hurting are muscle spasms. You should also have some valium--but you can only take that once every 8 hours. That really, really helped me with the big pain.

I suggest a timeframe of 6 a.m., 10 a.m., 2:00 pm, 6:00 pm, 10 pm, 2:00 am for your pain routine--then you only have to wake up once in the middle of the night to take your meds.

Been where you were seven weeks ago...get the drugs you need.
            Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
            Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
            Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
            Dr. Charles Edwards, II
            The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
            Before and after xrays:
            http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Originally posted by Kayde View Post
              I am still in here today. They plan on letting me go home tonight. Scared. Surgery went from 74 to 16. But,,,lots of pain.
              Wow that is a 78+% correction.

What meds are you on and what is the schedule? Everyone is different but maybe you can get some feedback fr others here to see if they were on a similar amount/frequency.

Are you a redhead? Those folks have a lower pain tolerance and need more pain meds if I understand that correctly and I am not sure I do.

Good luck.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Both of my surgeons would not let me leave to go to rehab until my pain was under control.
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I was also unable to leave hospital until my pain was managable via oral meds. Whilst in hospital, whenever the pain became unbearable, they gave me a morphine shot. It took away all pain within 5 minutes, but was the reason I was in hospital so long (19 days.)

I feel for you Kayde, but don't forget, this WILL get better. I hope they can adjust your meds to make the pain bearable. That's their job.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Kayde

You hang in there....this is the hardest part. I was on Oxycodone which wasn’t cutting it and was switched to Percoset 7.5. Percoset has Tylenol in it and it helped.

Soon they should let you take a shower, and that will make you feel much better.
                    Are you walking ok?
                    Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I am walking about 5 times a day about 200 feet. Can't seem to eat. The 10 plus pain , lack of food and the two giant gashes in my breasts weren't accounted for. So not only does that hurt my right hip hurts more and my ribs feel broken almost. I do have the pain med schedule has been a life saver. I almost didn't make it up the stairs to my house. It was awful. I wanted my primary care but I was told I could only have my ortho by the staff. Been rough. The mattress topper and satin sheets and jammies are Wonderful! Trying to get used to moving different as I sometimes think I move in my sleep and put more strain on. I was surprised they let me go just because I could walk when my pain want under control. I have always has high tolerance for pain and rare,y takr anything so this has been a surprise. They couldnt even draw blood from me which had never happened before either. Both arms are purple. I am looking forward to getting better and want to b sure I am doing all I can on my part. Thanks for the replies. I will post before after as soon as I get them. It was a huge correction

Comment

Hi Kayde,

You are going through the toughest part now, and I hope with the strict pain med schedule you can get your pain under better control soon. A previous patient had recommended to me to take tylenol round the clock (with in combo meds or in addition to them). When I was around one week post-op I was taking oxycontin twice a day, oxycodone every 4 hours, valium for spasms every 8 hours, and tylenol every 8 hours. I kept a logbook by my bed to record all med doses because it is so hard to remember anything at that point. The log book was also very helpful when it was time to start weaning off the meds.

I was discharged home on day 5 under poor pain control (pain 9/10) and extreme nausea. I ended up back in the ER on day 9 with my pain out of control--definitely wan't any fun at that point. I did turn the first corner around day 11 with pain and things improved from there.

As Ed said, that first shower will be heavenly (and exhausting).

I too had the horrible rib pain post-op. It felt like my ribs had been smashed by a baseball bat. It slowly improved and by about 6 months post-op was reduced to mild rib tenderness, which is essentially gone now at one year.

I too had a hard time eating. I survived on small servings of tomato soup, apple sauce, toast, banana, and cream of wheat for several weeks until my appetite and food tolerance slowly returned.

Hang in there and know that this is the worst part. Each couple of days you will be a little better. Keep up the frequent short walks. We are rooting for you.
                        Gayle, age 50
                        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

My surgeon prescribed 2 x Panadol which is 500mg Paracetamol every 4 hours as well as the Oxycontin and Endone (oxycondone?) because he said it made the Oxycontin work in two separate ways.

You're doing great with your walking! Keep it up because there are many benefits to walking post surgery.

Hang in there. Keep your eye on that light at the end of the tunnel. You'll get there! Good luck.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Shower

Home health came and got me different meds. Dr office sent someone else out to change dressing. I can shower now. They don't want the dressings to get wet. Nany suggestions? Not sure I know how to do that. I have shower chair and bench and removable shower head. Would love to wash my hair. Any suggestions would b great

Comment

You might do a search. I remember other people who had that problem and I think they used saran wrap or something, taped down. Also, there are waterless shampoo caps you can get if you really can't shampoo yet. They sell them at the drug store in the health aid area, I think. I used my shower chair for a long time and it made shampooing much easier.
                              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                              X