Extreme pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Kayde

The 200 feet 5x is fine. I wasn’t doing that at 7 days. It will get better in time.

You have to eat......I was told to eat yogurt. You also need protein and sliced roast beef is an easy way to do this. Just nibble on a slice. I liked the ensure drinks.

I was changing my dressings and washing my wounds at 10 days. Ask your surgeon, the nurses might differ on this......just move real slow in the shower, and no falling allowed!

Try not to get constipated. That is very painful. Water helps in this regard, sip often.

And like Gayle said, keep notes of everything!

Hang in there
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Mom

Between my magnesium and milk of magnesia I havent had the constipation I feared. I had that with my first child and swore I would never pass flintstone bedrocks again. Always on my mind. I got the stuff you suggested and so far it is under control. Thank God something is. Appetite coming back slowly but I get full and bloated quickly. Love the ensures and cottage cheese. Been more challenging than anticipated But how do u ever really have a good understanding of it until u have been there. The forum has been invaluable to me. U always feel so alone with it all. I remember being upset ith the nurse - I wanted to pullnup my gown and see if my abdomen crease was gone. Which it was. Made me cry I was so happy. Just the little things u can see. Hope to figure out how to post my before and after pix this week. Thanks so much to everyone for the suggestions and the support. It means a great deal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayde View Post
        Between my magnesium and milk of magnesia I havent had the constipation I feared.
        How soon did you start taking the milk of magnesia? Is it a pill or liquid?

Warmly,
        Doreen
        44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
        Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
        2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

day by day

Hi Kayde,

I hope the new meds have gotten your pain under control. It sounds like your surgeon's office is responsive, which is helpful.

This will be your routine for this week...pain meds, rest, nibble some food, rest, walk a bit, rest, time for pain meds again, etc. Try to nibble small meals frequently through the day. Do not expect too much of yourself at this point--you went through two major surgeries just a few days ago. I think you are sounding good from your posts.

Hang in there, know things will start to get better soon, and please let us know how you are doing. Do not be discouraged.

Congratulations on the amazing correction!
          Gayle, age 50
          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

One Magnesium Pill Per Day

I started taking one Magnesium pill per day (OTC vitamin) about two months ago as it apparently helps to relax muscles - my neck/shoulders are tight from me being so straight now. While it's helped the tightness somewhat, it does help with being "regular". Perhaps if I would have been taking that while recovering from surgery, I wouldn't have had such an awful time with constipation. I googled it to see what it said other then for relaxing muscles and ....... "Magnesium can be used as a laxative for constipation and for preparation of the bowel for surgical or diagnostic procedures". I would highly recommend adding Magesium to your list of "must haves" prior to surgery. As always, ask your surgeon's office first, but certainly recommend it if they say it's okay.
            1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
            2000 Partial Rod Removal
            2001 Right Scapular Resection
            12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
            06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

I started taking laxatives the day I got home from the hospital. Heard too many horror stories. Also, per my home care nurse, I heated up some prune juice and drank 1/2 cup (so much sugar in that stuff!) twice a day. Never had a problem. Once I stopped the pain killers, I went off the MoM.
              50 years old!!!!!
              Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
              Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
              Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
              Surgery 07/11/2011
              Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I have been taking 1600 mg of mag for years when I developed ibs. Six months later that was completely cured. Just didn't realize that magnesium fights with d3 for absorption so now I take them 4 hours apart. But I insisted on my magnesium in the hospital which was an ordeal. But I cleaned myself out 2days and the morning of surgery. 3 days later I insisted on milk of mag and malox. Worked everyday one thing went right. Constipation can be horrible and add to your pain. I will be glad when my eyes return to normal and my right leg stops tingling. All small things I know. Wasn't quite prepared for the vision issues. But I haven't been able to take my flax seed until today. Never believed in that untilni had LASIK- big immediate difference so I'm a fan now. I need things that I can see results quickly or I won't remember if it was helping or not. Lol. Getting around more without the walker so that is good. I need to get my core strong but I don't see sitting on a yoga ball in my immediate future. Lol. .

Comment

Good to hear you had no problems with constiptation. This could be a first!

I was given laxatives from Day 1 but still, I didn't "go" until day 9. Horrible.

You sound good!
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Oh re Vision problems. Did your surgeon warn you about this? Mind did. He said it's a complication from being face down for many hours. When I woke up in ICU I couldn't see, my face was so swollen, my eyes were shut. It wasn't until next morning I could open them slightly, after a night on my back. Fortunately, I didn't get the blurred vision problems. It's not something I've read about here, but it's a known problem after this surgery.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

cover bandages with saran wrap or a plastic bag wrapped around...use water proof tape to seal the saran wrap or bag....keep the bandages clean and dry...safe from infection...

jess

Comment

Working...
                      X