Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having surgery Oct 21 - list of items to bring to hospital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having surgery Oct 21 - list of items to bring to hospital?

I'm scheduled for surgery on Oct 21 to fuse my L4 and L5 due to my vertebrae slipping off to the side and causing me lots of pain and causing my body to lean badly to the left. (I'm the Leaning Tower of Pisa!) I'm previously fused down to L4 in 1978. I'm trying to plan and get all my stuff in order and I remember there was a list on here somewhere that someone posted of all the great ideas of items to bring with you to the hospital and even for at home. Does anyone remember where it is? I did some searches but can't find it although I've found lots of helpful info. A few questions though:
    Have you found that an electric shaver is helpful instead of a straight razor for your legs? I read about taping a long stick to it to help.
    Have many of you felt the need for the raised toilet seat when you get home?
    Gross question but I need to ask to be ready (lol)...have you all needed help "wiping" after going to the bathroom?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.
    Nancy
    Fused T3 to L4 – 1978 with Harrington rod
    Surgery Oct 21, 2011 fused L3-S1 posterior
    Dr Antonacci, Princeton, NJ

There are tools that you can buy for assistance with wiping. Some hospitals/rehabs will have it for you. Others will not. My first hospital in NC had one for me to
    use but this hospital in CA did not so I was glad that I had taken mine from home. I do not know how long you will be in the hospital but shaving legs is not a high prioty . When you get home and feel better, the razor on a stick is a good idea. I had my legs waxed before surgery and it lasts about 6 weeks. Just a idea.
    Wishing you good luck
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Hi Nancy,

Here are two links that I've saved from this group to help me pack when the time arrives:

Rebecca's link http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot....s-surgery.html
      Linda's link http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Warmly,
      Doreen
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

This may well be the "lightest packing" of your entire life! For my 1st surgery, I did pack a book and a couple mags, and some extra undergarments. By surgery #3 - 18 mos later - I knew that I would not be reading, and that most of what I would use would be provided by the hosp. . . so, I packed reading glasses (so I could actually see the menu, for ordering my meals), moisturizer for my face (to be used near the end of my stay, when I was finally allowed to shower), lip moisturizer, and a hairbrush.
        Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
        Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
        Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Thank you both! This is exactly what I need. I knew I had seen these links before but couldn’t find them.
          I went to a medical supply store yesterday and they had all sorts of goodies. The dry shampoo, the “wipe” thing-ey, raised toilet seats so I can send my husband out shopping if I need those. I was going to buy everything but then I thought why not wait and see what I’ll need. Plus my doctor said you get some of those things at the hospital (well, not the raised toilet seat). I talked to 2 women yesterday who had similar surgery to me done by the same surgeon so they made me feel a lot better knowing that I will get through it and it won’t be that bad.
          Thanks again,
          Nancy

Comment

Hi Nancy,

I used my iPod a few times in the hospital, it helped pass a little time. I was miserable with nausea so it helped distract me a bit.

I was fused t8-sacrum, and definitely appreciated the raised toilet seat for the first few weeks. I got a scrip for one prior to leaving the hospital, and my family arranged for it through the local medical supply company. It was waiting for me when I arrived home.

I used a grabber stick for many things and found it very helpful.

Other than that, I brought a toothbrush, but that it about it. Maybe some of your own undies. And definitely a loose, comfy outfit to go home in, like a sweat suit or something similar.

You might stock up on some laxatives and stool softeners to have at home. I would strongly recommend starting them as soon as you are allowed to take pills. I used a daily stool softener along with Sennokot and miralax initially, then was able to discontinue one at a time. I continued with Miralax for probably 6 weeks. Also a bottle of Mag Citrate, available over the counter for under $2.00, is good to have around.

Good luck,
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Thanks Gayle. I just heard that I might be able to get a prescription for the toilet seat so then I wouldn’t have to pay for the whole thing. That would be helpful. Was the nausea from the anesthesia? Last time I had surgery for having an ovary taken out, I was nauseous for about 2 weeks but that was laparoscopic so it’s assumed you will be nauseous from all the gas they pump into you. But I think it was the anesthesia that made me sick too. I will definitely take the stool softeners, etc.
              How are you feeling these days being a year out from your surgery?
              And how is your daughter doing?

Comment

Working...
              X