No announcement yet.

Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding my two cents: you can also take fiber capsules. If you haven't tried this before, please consider this. Fiber capsules were recommended to me and now I take them DAILY. Walmart sells Fibercon - generic brand of metamucil- take two capsules daily, it may take a day or so before you notice the difference. One caveat: fiber may interfere with medication absorption, so I try to take the fiber in between regular prescription meds.

sending prayers for a safe and successful surgery! hope to see u back here soon!
    57 years old.
    thoracic curve 68 degrees
    lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
    Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
    Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
    THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

• You should also bring a robe with you to the hospital--something the length to your knees and that you can close (zipper or buttons). It helps keep you warm as you will be going to PT probably by your third day in the hospital.

Will be saying lots of prayers!
      Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
      Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
      Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
      Dr. Charles Edwards, II
      The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
      Before and after xrays:
      http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

• "I would also strongly recommend that your family get your discharge prescriptions filled the day before you go home, so that your meds will be available as soon as you leave the hospital, when you need them."

HI DOREEN!!!
        This happened to us as well! We were still in St Louis at the hotel, but getting these pain meds filled at a regular pharmacy is tricky.
        Re the constipation... I took miralax every day as soon as I could. I still had problems and had to resort to an enema the first day at home. But it worked...
        Thinking of you lots. You must be insanely busy now, then, just think - as soon as your pre op tests are done, you will be in a hotel w/ not much to do at all!! You seem so centered - we are all sending lots of love and good thoughts.
        Nancy
        Age 58
        Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
        original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
        fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

• Thank You!!!

I cannot begin to thank everyone enough for the great advice, tips, suggestions! Yes, today was equally hectic as yesterday, but my suitcase is 80% packed. Things are falling into place very quickly. My excitement is building and I hope it doesn't turn into last minute nervousness. Our poor dogs sense something is going on because they are shadowing us in a way that they normally don't behave.

Only 15 things to check off for tomorrow's To Do list. My goal is to wrap up just about everything before we have a celebratory dinner tomorrow so that when we come home, there is minimal things to do.

Am I dreaming... in less than 48 hours I'll be in St. Louis?!?! :-) Am I crazy to be this ecstatic?

Warmly,
          Doreen
          44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
          Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
          2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• It's all happened so fast for you Doreen, just hours away now. Can't help but sing this tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JARDvdrAxk
            Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
            Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
            Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
            http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• Doreen,

You are in my prayers and I hope that everything goes well for you

God bless

Melissa
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Amy saying prayers too Doreen!

Just remember when you wake up after the surgery that everyday it will get better....absolutely.

Be sure your family members who are present be your advocates in pain relief. Make sure you get them on time. You will not be hungry, but try to drink a lot of fluid...Ensures (ice cold) will really help for nutrician. Chocolate Ensures are almost comforting :-) Every woman needs chocolate.
                Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                Before and after xrays:
                http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

• Originally posted by Elisa View Post
                  It's all happened so fast for you Doreen, just hours away now. Can't help but sing this tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JARDvdrAxk
                  LOL! How perfect!

Warmly,
                  Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Silly question, how soon will I be able to have a cup of coffee post-op?

Warmly,
                    Doreen

Comment

• Originally posted by djkinkead View Post
                      Amy saying prayers too Doreen!

Just remember when you wake up after the surgery that everyday it will get better....absolutely.

Be sure your family members who are present be your advocates in pain relief. Make sure you get them on time. You will not be hungry, but try to drink a lot of fluid...Ensures (ice cold) will really help for nutrician. Chocolate Ensures are almost comforting :-) Every woman needs chocolate.
                      Hi Dollie,

I saw your post to Kayde where you mentioned the importance of eating a lot of protein. We are packing chocolate protein powder so that will kill two birds with one stone: chocolate & protein.

Warmly,
                      Doreen

Comment

• Doreen,
                        My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know you'll do great! It still is amazing to me to look and see my straight back! I hope I never get over the thrill of it! You will soon be in the "Straight Back Club" as well.
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Coffee

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                          Silly question, how soon will I be able to have a cup of coffee post-op?

Warmly,
                          Doreen
                          As soon as you feel up for it. I think I had a cup day 3.
                          50 years old!!!!!
                          Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                          Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                          Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                          Surgery 07/11/2011
                          Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

• Making progress today, just baked pumpkin muffins for the road. My daughter's laptop just crashed, slight hiccup in our plans, huh? Since she does most of her school online, this would have been a bit of an issue. Fortunately, we bought her a new laptop a few weeks ago for her Christmas present. She was shocked when hubby handed it her just now and said, "Merry early Christmas!" Thank God this happened today and not while we were gone.

Finishing up a few loads of laundry and staging everything that is ready to be loaded in car.

Warmly,
                            Doreen

Comment

• When are you leaving?

Are you driving? I thought you had said you were flying
                              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                                When are you leaving?

Are you driving? I thought you had said you were flying
                                Our original plan was to fly, but that was before the date changed so quickly. Airfare prices were getting a bit steep because of the holiday and since we decided it would be better to have the flexibility of having our car in case I'm discharged early. Since my pre-op is now scheduled for Tuesday, Lenke wants me in St. Louis until Dec 10th.

It's working out for the better because I'm loading up with pillows, comforters and a bunch of other items I want with me.

My daughter selected some of my favorite movies: Bride Wars, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Gladiator, Meet the Parents and Iron Man. I rounded out the selection with the Godfather collection.

Warmly,
                                Doreen

Comment

Working...
                                X