Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Tentative Plans

Thanks so much, everyone, for the birthday wishes!

I talked with one of Dr. Lenke's patients today who received her special phone call last year, "... we have cancellation, can you be here for surgery in 1 1/2 weeks?" I had no idea a cancellation could occur so quickly. I shared this info with Jeremy and we decided now is the time to make some tentative plans for where Lizzie will go during my time in St. Louis. Our dear friends gladly offered to have Lizzie stay with them for 2 weeks (if indeed, I'm gone that long, hopefully not though). Since there are unknowns at this stage: possible change in surgery date, unsure of how long I will be in St. Louis, etc., we've figured we've got the following options:

Plan A: Regardless of surgery date, friends are in town and available for Lizzie to stay with them for 2 weeks

Plan B: Regardless of surgery date, friends are in town, Lizzie stays with them for 2 weeks, but I need to stay in St. Louis longer, my folks will come to GA early (their original plan is to come help me when I come home), bring Lizzie home and wait for me to come home

Plan C: Regardless of surgery date, friends are not in town, Lizzie comes with us to St. Louis

Lenke's patient explained that I want to be ready for that cancellation phone call. The last thing I want to do is be scrambling at the last minute because of a sudden new surgery date and be stressed about making arrangements for Lizzie. I'm very relieved I opened the dialog with our friends today and have options.

Today was a productive day.

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Doreen,
      I think you are wise to be prepared for the call. I hope you get it way before your scheduled date.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Bday

Oh Doreen I just was able to read all your thread and I am sorry I missed your birthday. You got great news for your birthday and you will have the results next year for your birthday. I'm sure you will get to have it done before August. I completely understand the waist issues and the inability to function with your family like you want. I so happy for you that you found someone who could help you get to the next level where you need to be and hopefully all your pain will be gone soon.

Comment

a belated happy birthday, Doreen.
          I like your taste in martini's!
          Judy
          Judy
          60 years old
          double 60 degree curves
          being fused Oct 19, 2011
          T4 to sacrum
          Dr. Boachie

Comment

Doreen, I'm sure you've mentioned Lizzie before, but is Lizzie a dog, child, cat, what?
            Stephanie, age 56
            Diagnosed age 8
            Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
            Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
            Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
            Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
            Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
            Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo's Mom View Post
              Doreen, I'm sure you've mentioned Lizzie before, but is Lizzie a dog, child, cat, what?
              LOL! Sorry about that, Stephanie ;-) My crew:
              Jeremy - hubby
              Lizzie - 11 year old daughter
              Gordon - 23 year old son
              Lizzie Girl - dog
              Ollie - dog
              Pierre - parrot

Warmly,
              Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

Waking Up in Pain

Both sets of ribs have been hurting considerably more so over the past several days, a Forteo side effect. While I've been able to fall asleep fairly quickly, the past two nights I've woken up in pain from my ribs. It's so draining to have constant pain throughout my body. I've been up since 3a and the thought of doing a 2 mile walk is not appealing to me at the moment. *sigh*

Warmly,
                Doreen

Comment

Sometimes just getting some fresh air helps you feel better. Why not just try a 1/2 mile walk and see how that feels?
                  50 years old!!!!!
                  Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                  Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                  Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                  Surgery 07/11/2011
                  Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Kids Say the Darnest Things

At dinner this evening, our daughter was chatting about Halloween. She said, "Dad, you need to get a costume this year. Mom, I've got the perfect costume for you! You can be the hunchback!" I said, "Yup, and this will be the last year I can be one."

Does anyone else have humorous moments like this?

Warmly,
                    Doreen

Comment

Lenke's Office Called.....

but I got DISCONNECTED!!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I called Kelly back right away and left a voicemail. I would really, really, really love to hear Kelly say she has a new date for me. Trying to stay calm until I hear back from Kelly.... hard to do since I'm not so patient. ;-)

Warmly,
                      Doreen

Comment

What????? Oh, that stinks!!!
                        Why can't she just call right back??
                        Keep us posted. I know you will!
                        50 years old!!!!!
                        Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                        Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                        Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                        Surgery 07/11/2011
                        Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Ugggg, that would make me CrAzY! Keep us posted.
                          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                            but I got DISCONNECTED!!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I called Kelly back right away and left a voicemail. I would really, really, really love to hear Kelly say she has a new date for me. Trying to stay calm until I hear back from Kelly.... hard to do since I'm not so patient. ;-)

Warmly,
                            Doreen
                            Doreen, How frustrating! This journey of yours will teach you patients. Everything will work out just fine.
                            Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Bursting with Excitement!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I talked with Kelly (Dr. Lenke's nurse) today who explained that there will be one of two new surgery dates available for me. She should know either later today or by tomorrow which date will be confirmed for me.

First date is Nov 28: pre-op tests on Wed, Nov 23 and have the central line put in on Fri, Nov 25, surgery Mon, Nov 28.

Second date is Jan 4: pre-op tests on Wed, Dec 8 and back on Tues, Jan 3 for the central line, surgery Wed, Jan 4.

I am SO, SO excited about either date!!!!!!!! Will keep you posted.

Warmly,
                              Doreen

Comment

Doreen

I am very happy for you

Please keep us posted
                                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
                                X