No announcement yet.

Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations on your long walks. I hope you can continue to get a good night's sleep.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Congrats on sleeping without pills. Great news. It's very hard to try to get a goodnight sleep for me. I always toss and turn and wake up with a headache or backache or just can't sleep.

And I think it's both great and crazy to have a surgery date that far into the future. I hope they can get cancellations or reschedule you up, because basically waiting a year for my surgery would drive me nuts if I was in discomfort/pain.

Comment

Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
        And I think it's both great and crazy to have a surgery date that far into the future. I hope they can get cancellations or reschedule you up, because basically waiting a year for my surgery would drive me nuts if I was in discomfort/pain.
        I'd much rather have a 5 week waiting period like you ;-)

Warmly,
        Doreen
        44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
        Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
        2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
          I'd much rather have a 5 week waiting period like you ;-)

Warmly,
          Doreen
          Haha I bet. Even with 5 weeks, I'm still waiting and it seems to be going by so slow. Just want to get it over with. Good luck on everything Doreen. And try to keep off the medication, it's hard, but worth it in the end. You're doing good so far. Take care.
          John

Comment

Birthday!

Today is my birthday and I'm quite excited to celebrate 44 years! Each year gets better and better, despite this year having a few challenges as far as my back is concerned. My daughter and I cooked our annual homemade applesauce today; such a big batch we need to finish tomorrow! Dinner at Maggiano's was oh so good! I had a bit of a wardrobe malfunction before we headed out because every dress I tried on simply no longer fit around my torso. Since I've lost 3" in height this year, everything is being squished down and out in my abdomen. I no longer have a waist. My hubby said, "I'm so sorry," to which I replied, "It's ok, I'll have a waist for my next birthday!"

Since I was designated passenger today, I imbibed in a delightful dirty martini with Grey Goose topped with x3 blue cheese stuffed olives... PRICELESS!

I've been on my feet all day cooking the applesauce and missed out on my afternoon lay-down time on the heating pad. I'm really starting to feel it now. I've had the most restful sleep the past two evenings (without sleeping pills)... DOUBLE PRICELESS!

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

Happy Birthday! I'm glad you're having a good time. Surgery really does affect your waist/torso lol.

Comment

Doreen,
                Hqppy Birthday! I just read your blog on a different thread. I seem to miss them when they're in the "signature." Trust me on this . . . after your surgery, you will me amazed at the improvement in your figure. Not that that is why anyone would put themselves through this surgery, but it sure is a plus. Dr. Lenke can work magic on the back. I'm still hoping you can get a cancellation and get some relief from your pain.
                Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Doreen,
                  I'll treat you to a dirty martini in St. Louis when you are there for a post-op appointment for a celebration!
                  Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Happy Birthday, Doreen! Sounds like you had a good one. Glad you're getting some restful nights, too.

Mary, age 54
                    Fused T2-T12 on 7/5/11, Dr. Boachie
                    Fusion extended to L4 on 9/21/11

Comment

Thanks, John and Mary!

Karen - I'll take you up on that for sure! ;-)

Warmly,
                      Doreen

Comment

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had fun
                        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Happy Birthday, Doreen! I know just what you mean about the dress. I'm in a wedding in November. When my bridesmaid dress came in a size six, which I thought would be too big, I couldn't get it zipped and was horrified! It was my waist, which has squished just like yours. I've avoided anything with a waist for years now, but after the bridesmaid dress had me in tears I measured myself just to see how bad things were...I've gone from 34-26-34 to 36 (hump, not boobs)-29-34. Yikes.

Here's to getting our waists back for our next birthdays! Cheers to THAT!
                          Stephanie, age 56
                          Diagnosed age 8
                          Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                          Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                          Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                          Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                          Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                          Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Happy birthday Doreen! Ladies, you're going to be stunned at your new waists! You won't believe it until you see it.
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Happy belated birthday, Doreen! Sounds like you are doing great! Hang in there : ))))
                              50 years old!!!!!
                              Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                              Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                              Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                              Surgery 07/11/2011
                              Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Belated birthday wishes! Seems like you're on track and getting your priorities right

B
                                Billy
                                32 year old male from UK
                                Fused at 25yrs
                                62 degree thoratic curve
                                45 degree lumbar curve
                                Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X