Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Topic

My 12 year old daughter, Lizzie, will appear on CNN today at 2:50p EST.

Tune in! :-)

Warmly,
    Doreen

Here is the link http://bit.ly/LD2boo
    Last edited by Doreen1; 06-20-2012, 04:01 PM.
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Back from Holiday!

Had an amazing 3 week holiday that included enjoying rides at Disney! Posted backstroke video and pix on my blog http://bit.ly/NrM6mB

Looking forward to reading everyone's updates on the forum.

Warmly,
      Doreen
      Last edited by Doreen1; 07-23-2012, 12:48 PM.

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
        Had an amazing 3 week holiday that included enjoying rides at Disney! Posted backstroke video and pix on my blog http://bit.ly/NrM6mB

Looking forward to reading everyone's updates on the forum.

Warmly,
        Doreen
        Glad that life is going so well for you
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Hey Doreen,

That was one incredible stretch of days filled with activity. I was exhausted just reading about it! I am glad that everything is going so well for you.

Donna
          Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
          Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
          Fused T3-L3
          60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
          Tennis player & returning to the courts!
          http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

• Atlanta Area 5k Walk/Race, Sat Aug 4, 2012

For those of you near the Atlanta area, our family will be participating in an upcoming 5k Walk/Run Race on Sat, Aug 4 in downtown Kennesaw, GA. Hubby and our daughter are eager to run; obviously I'm walking. If anyone is interested in walking with me, explore http://runforwoundedwarriors.org/ for all the details. I've never been in a race and I'm very excited to get out there and do something new.

Warmly,
            Doreen

Comment

• Congratulations, Doreen! You continue to inspire!!

I went to the Children's Museum today with my kids. Lasted 12-6 pm, including 1/2 hour rides on each end. So, gradually getting there....

Best,
              Evelyn
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                Congratulations, Doreen! You continue to inspire!!

I went to the Children's Museum today with my kids. Lasted 12-6 pm, including 1/2 hour rides on each end. So, gradually getting there....

Best,
                Evelyn
                Good to hear, Evelyn!

and Doreen, you are inspiring!

hugs,
                Heidi
                Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
                53*T 71*L
                Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
                Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

• So happy for both of you, Doreen and Evelyn. You are my inspiration, and hopefully some day I can help and encourage people like myself.
                  I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                  45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                  A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

• Training for 5k Race

Since the 5k race is quickly approaching, I realized that while I walk 5 miles every day, I break up the miles throughout the day. Yesterday I started my official training for walking nonstop 5k which is 3.1 miles and then rounding out the day with my final 2 miles. Walking 5k nonstop yesterday and today was pretty comfortable and took me 1 hour. I am by no means looking to quickly finish the race but will be ecstatic to simply finish the race. I'll train again on Sunday and Wednesday doing the nonstop 5k and then the big day is Aug 4.

Had a busy day on Wednesday here at the house with my daughter's photo shoot. Ended up standing for 4+ hours swapping out food items for the different seasons they were shooting, wardrobe changes, etc. Last year's photo shoots were so painful for me because of my back, but this was the first postop shoot and I felt great at the end of the day. I'm not able to say who the client is for a few more weeks, but the first edition roles out September and I'll share details soon.

Evelyn,
                    Going to the children's museum is a big outing - Congratz!

Heidi,
                    You have about 2.5 months to go for your surgery, correct?

Irina,
                    Refresh my memory, when is your surgery scheduled?

Donna,
                    You are an amazing inspiration to be playing tennis again!

Melissa,
                    How is your shoulder healing and how is your back pain?

Warmly,
                    Doreen

Comment

• Doreen,
                      You are doing so well. I know you are an inspiration to so many on the forum.
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Doreen, yes that is correct... Oct. 12th is my big day! Thank you so much for all your posts and videos. They are so helpful.
                        Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
                        53*T 71*L
                        Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
                        Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

• I Cannot Believe

that yesterday, Aug 1, 2012, was my originally scheduled surgery date with Dr. Lenke from Sep 2011!!!! Thanks for pointing that out, Hannah. Amazing how my life transformed over the past several months. I'm excited about Saturday's race and the weather should be cool Sat morning. My hubby's boss is joining us too.

Warmly,
                          Doreen

Comment

that yesterday, Aug 1, 2012, was my originally scheduled surgery date with Dr. Lenke from Sep 2011!!!! Thanks for pointing that out, Hannah. Amazing how my life transformed over the past several months. I'm excited about Saturday's race and the weather should be cool Sat morning. My hubby's boss is joining us too.

Warmly,
                            Doreen
                            Doreen, you continue to amaze me! You should be the poster woman for adult scoliosis surgery! As I ponder my curve and wonder how I would do if I have surgery, I might need to hire you as my personal coach. Thanks for sharing your success.
                            Susan
                            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Good luck with your race. It's certainly a good feeling to have the surgery behind you. It's hard to believe that yesterday was your original date. Your persistency in requesting a cancellation certainly paid off.
                              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                              Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Age-60 at the time of surgery
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Since the 5k race is quickly approaching, I realized that while I walk 5 miles every day, I break up the miles throughout the day. Yesterday I started my official training for walking nonstop 5k which is 3.1 miles and then rounding out the day with my final 2 miles. Walking 5k nonstop yesterday and today was pretty comfortable and took me 1 hour. I am by no means looking to quickly finish the race but will be ecstatic to simply finish the race. I'll train again on Sunday and Wednesday doing the nonstop 5k and then the big day is Aug 4.

Had a busy day on Wednesday here at the house with my daughter's photo shoot. Ended up standing for 4+ hours swapping out food items for the different seasons they were shooting, wardrobe changes, etc. Last year's photo shoots were so painful for me because of my back, but this was the first postop shoot and I felt great at the end of the day. I'm not able to say who the client is for a few more weeks, but the first edition roles out September and I'll share details soon.

Evelyn,
                                Going to the children's museum is a big outing - Congratz!

Heidi,
                                You have about 2.5 months to go for your surgery, correct?

Irina,
                                Refresh my memory, when is your surgery scheduled?

Donna,
                                You are an amazing inspiration to be playing tennis again!

Melissa,
                                How is your shoulder healing and how is your back pain?

Warmly,
                                Doreen
                                Hi Doreen,

My surgery has not been scheduled yet. My follow-up appointment is on October 31 - we'll go over MRI, bending and traction x-rays etc and then... go from there. I am thinking of having it done at the end of January or February 2013. Long wait... It's probably the worst part because I am driving myself crazy. I exercise every day to stay in good shape and it makes me feel proactive. Any advice on how to stay cool and not worry too much?
                                I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                                45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                                A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Working...
                                X