Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doreen,
    Sorry to hear about all the extra stress. Glad you are on your way to a "new" you and the "other side."

Good luck with the surgery. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please have someone post for you. There is a whole team out here cheering you on.

Irene
    1996 x-rays (none read recently) 50 degrees thoracic, 40 degrees lumbar
    Never braced, found out I had scoliosis at age 28
    At time of surgery, multi-level disc spondylotic degeneration,
    advanced lumbar degeneration, stenosis
    65 years young and very active but no lengthy walks or standing without pain
    Now, 67. walking and standing as much as I want
    Surgery Dec. 7, 2010
    T10-S1 posterior
    Dr. Rand
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston,
    http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/itr1/

Comment

• Thank goodness surgery was approved--now that is something to be thankful for.

I don't know if my insurance paid for the BMP, and no one asked me to pay for it. I just picked p my surgical report at my last appt which says they used 5 large packages of BMP.

Good luck to you Doreen, and I can't wait to read a good report on your surgery!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Originally posted by golfnut View Post
        I think these insurance companies like to keep us on edge. I received a letter from Healthlink denying BMP, but Dr. Lenke had Barnes "absorb the cost.". Kelly said he wouldn't do the surgery without it. I am glad itbis all working out for you.
        This statement right here relieves a lot of stress. Best wishes with your surgery, as if that hasn't been said over and over. See how many people care? And to think you don't even "know" most of us. Will be looking forward to hearing a report (from someone) that you are out of surgery and doing well.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

• HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE!!! I've read everyone's comments and appreciate all of you. My insurance is United Healthcare and up until Tuesday, they have been the best insurance, aside from this recent hiccup. Hubby and I decided to go out last night and we walked to a wonderful Vietnamese restaurant and had the best bowl of Pho ever. It must have been my lucky night because I was served x4 olives in my dirty martini! :-)

Martini.jpg

During the time that we didn't know what was going to happen with the insurance coverage, we felt as if we were holding our breath for 24 hours. It feels wonderful to breathe again. I actually laughed during out date last night and it felt so good. I haven't laughed since Monday when we took our girl to breakfast before we hit the road.

Hubby, Jeremy, will take over posting on Monday and he'll also be posting regular updates to my blog; the link is in my signature line.

Off to have some breakfast. Have a wonderful Turkey Day!

Warmly,
          Doreen
          44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
          Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
          2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Doreen--
            So glad to hear the approval went through and you are set to go. Also that you had a chance to relax, go out, and have a martini--what a cute picture of you. Very best wishes to you--lots of prayers and positive thoughts coming your way!! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• sending prayers

just now read about your tur,oil w/ insurance companies! Bleah! when my neck surgery was approved, and i received the letter in the mail- it was an affirmation that this surgery is necessary... sort of cold breath of reality momemnt. well thankfully it is approved, i pray you are able to rest over the weekend, and my advice: use ur pain pump! :-) God bless, hope to hear from ur hubby soon ~ Jamie in Texas
              57 years old.
              thoracic curve 68 degrees
              lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
              Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
              Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
              THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

• I'm very glad to hear your news Doreen. Not long to wait now then you'll be on your way to your new life. Looking forward to great news from your husband next week!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Glad That's Done!

The central line is in and I'm SO glad that's done! It feels so odd and it hurts, but not like stabbing pain. I was nervous about the line because I knew I would be awake during the procedure and hear what the doctor was saying. When it comes to doctors, I'm the type of person that I don't want to hear the details, just do whatcha need to do. Hearing the doc tell the intern, "... push it in to there... pull it back a bit... watch out for that..." I didn't need to hear all that. I know, I know, I'm a ninny. My hubby said, "Look at it this way, now all you need to do is show up Monday, go to sleep and let Dr. Lenke take care of the rest." I can do that! :-)

Our plan is to get out for a bit today since it is another sunny day. Rain sets in tomorrow so we'll enjoy the movies we brought with us.

Warmly,
                  Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Doreen, if i may ask, did they put the central line in the middle of your chest?
                    i had one for a long time for IV for Lyme...
                    i got used to it, forgot it was there...
                    you probably won't need it for very long...

hope the pain goes away...it usually does....
                    just keep the area clean...
                    good luck next week...

jess

Comment

• I think that central lines usually (always?) go into the neck and PICC lines usually go into the arm, but can go into various spots on the torso.
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• why do some surgeons put the central line in before surgery and others do it at the beginning of surgery?
                        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• My line is located just below my right clavicle. Not sure why some surgeons put it in place days before vs. morning of surgery. Hubby and I had a lovely walk through a gorgeous neighborhood today. Stopped by a great bookstore and found a couple of treasures. Received an email from our daughter after we got back to the room, "... having lots of fun, except when I fell out of the tree... I'm okay it was a short fall." We called her and she said she only fell on part of her face. Good grief!

Hubby is such a sport because he watched Bride Wars with me. It's a cute lil flick. Hubby is off for a jog since it is still warm 65 and dry. We are both looking forward to not setting a wake-up alarm in the morning and Sunday.

Warmly,
                          Doreen

Comment

• Thank goodness your daughter is okay. At least with my central line, I had less than 24 hours to think about how odd it was to have something foreign in my body. Now, I try not to think about the rods and screws in my body. I will be sending positive thoughts and prayers your way on Mon. I'm only about 24 miles from Barnes (Waterloo, IL) I am calling a friend of mine (Julie Novack) who works with the surgical teams of the orthopedic dept. at Barnes to see if she will be there on Mon. I'll ask her to say hi from me. She is from Waterloo, too. Dr. Lenke is a great surgeon as you know. I am sure you will be thrilled with the results and happy to be on your way to recovery!
                            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                            Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Age-60 at the time of surgery
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• I am a ninny too Doreen. Thank goodness though, I had no tests whatsoever until I was asleep on the table. In fact I was asleep before I got there thanks to a pre-op med. The central line, blood tests and xrays, were all done once I was asleep which was more than I could have hoped for.

Enjoy a couple of days of relaxation (as much as possible) before your big day. Your husband is absolutely correct. All you have to do now, is lie there and sleep, it's all going to be taken care of by experts.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• sending prayers for surgery tomorrow-

praying that all goes well, and you'll be back posting soon! be at peace, you will soon be thru the worst part... God bess you! Jamie in Texas!
                                57 years old.
                                thoracic curve 68 degrees
                                lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
                                Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
                                Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
                                THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Working...
                                X