No announcement yet.

Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news! I'm happy for you. Are you paying for the BMP or is Lenke going to find a "reason" that he HAD to use it so the insurance will have to pay? What a horrible thing to have to go through as if the surgery itself wasn't stressful enough! BREATHE....
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

• Whew! What a relief. Now you can go back to being thankful for surgery just around the corner. Happy Thanksgiving, Doreen!
      Stephanie, age 56
      Diagnosed age 8
      Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
      Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
      Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
      Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
      Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
      Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

• What a roller coaster for your Doreen. Following your progress daily and plugging for you! I hope you don't have to cover the cost of BMP. Wishing you the very best of luck!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• So glad everything worked out. I too was worried my surgeries wouldn't be approved. Luckily, I had changed insurance between my first surgeries in 09 and now. I'm not sure if my surgeon asked insurance to approve BMP or did it on his own. I'm sure since I've already had pseudarthrosis, and tried PT, injections, meds, external bone stimulator, etc. they had no excuse to deny LOL.

But I'm glad it was approved, I got BMP, and was able to stay 9 days in the hospital when my insurance wanted me out in 5. Like Linda said, they are really cracking down on surgeries, and I'm super glad you got approved. The wait is more stressful than the damn surgery! Haha

Good luck, and I'll keep you in my prayers till your big day.

Comment

• congratulations on the good news, Doreen...

jess

Comment

• Glad to hear that your surgery was approved. You are in my prayers
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Doreen,
                What a roller coaster ride you have been on. So glad to hear you are approved for the surgery finally. My guess about the BMP is that the hospital will eat the cost. It's only a guess, so don't quote me. Anyway, you have lots of good folks on here rooting you on.
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• I think these insurance companies like to keep us on edge. I received a letter from Healthlink denying BMP, but Dr. Lenke had Barnes "absorb the cost.". Kelly said he wouldn't do the surgery without it. I am glad itbis all working out for you.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Great news! That insurance company sure didn't treat you very well. It sounds like too many insurance lackeys were involved in the decision making process.
                    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                    Before and after xrays:
                    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

• I've been thinking about you today Doreen and am thrilled that things are moving ahead as scheduled. Phew! You don't need that kind of stress at the moment, that's for sure.
                      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• I am so happy for Doreen. The insurance companies are so difficult to deal with. I never did get my insurance to approve the Forteo but the pharmaceutical rep has provided samples so far. Now you can relax and enjoy your holiday.
                        Pam, age 49
                        Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
                        April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
                        T-3 to sacrum

Comment

• Great news. Although you probably lost a few years off your life from all the stress, the outcome was a good one.

The x-ray you mentioned is a Push Prone X-ray. I asked Dr. Hu about it today. I'm surprised that you got both a Push Prone and side bending films...
                          Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2000 Jan;25(1):76-81.
                          Comparison of push-prone and lateral-bending radiographs for predicting postoperative coronal alignment in thoracolumbar and lumbar scoliotic curves.
                          Vedantam R, Lenke LG, Bridwell KH, Linville DL.
                          Source
                          Midwest Orthopedic Institute, Richmond, Indiana, USA.
                          Abstract
                          STUDY DESIGN:
                          A comparative evaluation of supine right and left lateral-bending radiographs and push-prone radiographs in patients with thoracolumbar and lumbar scoliosis to determine postoperative correction of the curve.

OBJECTIVES:
                          To determine the difference in the ability of the push-prone radiograph and the supine lateral-bending radiograph to predict postoperative coronal alignment for primary thoracolumbar and lumbar curves managed with an anterior spinal instrumentation and fusion.

SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA:
                          Right and left supine side-bending radiographs are the standard means of evaluating curve flexibility before surgery in idiopathic scoliosis. A push-prone radiograph also has been obtained at the authors' institution as a single dynamic radiographic assessment of forced correction of the primary curve and resultant effects on compensatory curves above and below the fusion.

METHODS:
                          Preoperative standing, supine right and left lateral-bending, and push-prone radiographs were performed in 40 patients who underwent anterior spinal instrumentation and fusion. Postoperative standing radiographs of the spine were obtained at 3 months after surgery. Measurements on all the radiographs included the coronal Cobb angle, the angle of the lowest instrumented vertebra to the horizontal, the rotation of the lowest instrumented vertebra, and the distance of the midpoint of the lowest instrumented vertebra from the center sacral line.

RESULTS:
                          The lateral-bending and the push-prone radiographs predicted less correction of the Cobb angle and the angle of the lowest instrumented vertebra to the horizontal than was achieved after surgery. However, the push-prone radiograph was superior to the lateral-bending radiograph in accurately predicting the postoperative correction of the rotation of the lowest instrumented vertebra as well as the translation of the lowest instrumented vertebra from the center sacral line.

CONCLUSIONS:
                          The push-prone and lateral-bending radiographs are similar in predicting less correction of the Cobb angle after anterior spinal surgery. The push-prone radiograph helps in determining the effects that correction of the primary curve has on the curves above and below the level of fusion by better predicting the translational correction of the lowest instrumented vertebra and the rotation of the lowest instrumented vertebra.
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• i am really surprised that in this age of technology, a push/prone thingy is the best they can come up with!
                            do they not have something a little more sophisticated...??!

jess

Comment

• Hi Doreen --

Just getting caught up on everything. Best wishes to you! I can't believe it is coming up this soon. Be sure to have someone post on the forum for you ASAP after the surgery. We will all be thinking about you.

Weird about the "push prone." Dr. Lenke's staff must have done a "pull prone" or something on me. I was on my back and they had two residents pull my feet and jaw in opposite directions to see how far they could stretch me out.

Anyway, good luck with everything. I'm glad the insurance issue got resolved. Which company is it, by the way?

Evelyn
                              age 48
                              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                                Hi Doreen --

Weird about the "push prone." Dr. Lenke's staff must have done a "pull prone" or something on me. I was on my back and they had two residents pull my feet and jaw in opposite directions to see how far they could stretch me out.
                                Sounds like the normal bending x-rays that most of us have been through. The one Doreen mention is done face down.
                                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                                X