No announcement yet.

Before and after xrays posted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, your spine was really trying to tie itself into knots, wasn't it? What an amazing correction. I hope you're doing well.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

you were all right...i refreshed and there it was...
      a beautiful straightened spine!
      congratulations to you...and your surgeon!

i don't know what the IRS will say,
      but i believe your new car is a medical expense, necessitated by the surgery...
      so....i would declare it on my income tax, as part of my medical expenditures
      connected to the surgery!

you might need a lawyer for that....
      but i will swear under oath that it is the truth...and so will all your fellow scoli-s!

jess

Comment

Thanks for the refresh tip. Your spine looks great!! x
        Billy
        32 year old male from UK
        Fused at 25yrs
        62 degree thoratic curve
        45 degree lumbar curve
        Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

Wow-- your surgeon really got a great correction. You must feel elated! Glad that you were able to get the "after" x-ray posted. I know I said earlier that I was on meds for over 5 months (and I really needed them!) -- but I just today had to have a basal cell skin cancer lesion removed from above my lip and part of my lip, and the doctor had me stop my arthritis medicine 8 days ahead of time. By day 6 I was suffering... and in fact I had a rather sleepless night last night due to hip and lower back pain from my arthritis. Since my scoli surgeon had me not take my arthritis med both before my surgery and then for 6 months after my surgery, it could well be that was a main contributor to my needing pain meds for so long. Then again, who knows, but I thought I'd mention it. A lot of my pain after the initial recovery may have just been due to my arthritis.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Yes, I think Dr. Edwards did a great job--especially when the earthquake happened in the middle of the whole procedure.

My VW Jetta wagon is up for sale and we'll be going to a Venza--funny, since I couldn't drive due to pain drugs, I couldn't test drive the car myself. Hope I like it when I do! :-)

I have been trying to do some "at home" telework and using the corset brace the surgeon said to purchase (it's not one of those custom jobs, it's just a theoristic (sp?) brace, so I used it for the short times I tried to work on the computer. I did two half hour stints, ate some lunch, took pain meds and then fell a sleep for three hours.

Oh well, life is a adventure.

Thank you for everyone for your encouraging remarks on the spine. Dr. Edwards said in about 2-3 years the big screws in the hips might start to cause some pain, but he said they can then be removed--it's only a ten minute procedure, so we'll look at that then.

I will state this to all of you who have already done the surgery: it was your words "everyday it will get better" that got me through this.

Thank you!
            Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
            Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
            Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
            Dr. Charles Edwards, II
            The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
            Before and after xrays:
            http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

WOW!!! I am sooooo thankful for these amazing surgeons! What an amazing transformation!

Hope you are feeling better and better every day!
              Rebecca
              Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
              wore night bending brace as teenager
              Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
              herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
              fusion L2-3 November 2008
              Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
              Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
              Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
              gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
              Before and After X-rays
              My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

I actually bought a minivan last year, largely in anticipation of my surgery...and also for toting around my 4 year old granddaughter, who will have to manage without Nana for a little while next Spring.
                Stephanie, age 56
                Diagnosed age 8
                Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post

but i will swear under oath that it is the truth...and so will all your fellow scoli-s!

jess
                  That would be a blessing because we, indeed, not only traded in the Accord for a Pilot because it was too painful for me to lower down into the Accord, but we also bought a new bed. I'll be sure to include my receipts for these items to send to my tax guy.

Warmly,
                  Doreen
                  44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                  Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                  2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Pain Meds

I had my surgery on June 7, and I just recently quit taking pain meds. However, I had been taking only one or two Norphens a day for the last 6 weeks or so. I found that they didn't make me mentally fuzzy at those levels. Well, at least I didn't think they did. I found that Tylenol didn't really seem to do much of anything, so I went ahead and stayed on the Norphen when needed. I didn't have much problem with cutting back. I have the Rosetta Stone language program to learn Spanish while I'm laid up recovering, and I had to repeat the part that I did during the first 4 weeks when I was taking pain meds regularly, but I've been able to retain the parts that I've studied since then.

I'm also very excited about my waist. I gained two inches also, and dropped two dress sizes. I lost about 8 pounds due to the surgery, and am trying to keep those off, but the major reason I lost the dress sizes is that I have a waist again. It's really exciting to go through the closet bit by bit and get rid of the old pants. I can still wear some old tops and dresses, but will have to alter others, or get new ones. (So sad)

I have a Prius and have to be a little careful when I get in, but otherwise it will be fine. I was just cleared to drive today.
                    Diagnosed at age 13
                    Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
                    Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
                    Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
                    Post surgery 26 degrees
                    Surgeon Yu-po Lee

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post

jess
                      Wow, if I knew for sure that the IRS would consider my new car a necessary medical expense, I would be elated! That sure would be a nice perk after having this surgery. Any tax experts on the forum?
                      Laurie
                      Age 57
                      Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
                      Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
                      Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
                      Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
                      Dr Munish Gupta
                      UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

To Judy at 60 - Regarding beds

Regarding the bed--if you need to buy one anyway (ours was 19 years old), strongly consider buying one of the Sleep number beds--we bought the king size one that has separate platforms--so either side can independently lower and raise either side.....it has been one of the best things we did in preparing for this surgery.

I wasn't sure which "model" to go with and wasn't sure how much memory foam to go with, so we went with 1.5 inches of foam (the total for the whole bed was around $4500)....and I added a couple inches of foam later on just to make my side a bit softer.

My two cents on a definate "best practice".

Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                        Before and after xrays:

Comment

$4500?! Ahhhhhh!!!!
                          Billy
                          32 year old male from UK
                          Fused at 25yrs
                          62 degree thoratic curve
                          45 degree lumbar curve
                          Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

i was kidding about the car....
                            it would be helpful to hear from a tax expert about it, though....

i haven't gotten a memory foam because a friend who got one
                            told me that her bed started to take on her shape after about a
                            year and a half...and it seems to be staying that way....she's
                            not too happy about it....

jess

Comment

I think you would have to have an official "prescription" from a doctor for something to even consider using it for a tax write-off. Dang, I don't think I'd be able to get the good doctor to write one for a new "car", although it does have seats that are the perfect height, the rear hatch opens and closes with a push of a button on the fob and, although I might have been in drug-land, I think the back seats also fold down with a touch of a button.

As the PT says: NO BLT - Bending, Lifting or Twisting.

We had a waterbed--which I guess was a definate "no no" for the spinal surgery...but probably still not good enough for the tax gatherers for our great nation.

:-)

Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                              Before and after xrays:

Comment

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502.html

A deduction is allowed only for expenses primarily paid for the prevention or alleviation of a physical or mental defect or illness. Medical care expenses include payments for the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, or treatment affecting any structure or function of the body. These expenses include payments for legal medical services rendered by any medical practitioner and the cost of equipment, supplies, and diagnostic devices used for medical care purposes.
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Remember, this is after 7.5% of your gross. Gross 50K and the deductions start after your medical bills exceed $3750.00

Best to chat with an accountant. I had a doctor specify that I needed a spa years ago and I wrote off $7500.00

I’m sure a bed would be fine. Best to have that doctors note for IRS.

A car is not used for the prevention or alleviation of a physical illness. (An RV with a spa might work! LOL)

DJ
                                You had quite a curve and a nice correction....Soon things will improve, you take it slow ok?

I’m on the road posting from my RV. I visited with our Bendies, from Bend, Ore. Susan and Jenee.....both are fine.
                                Currently in the Portland, Oregon area
                                Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X