Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill

Try running.....or a fast walk.

On my final day I felt a feeling of total relaxation almost like a fish who gives up the fight. I felt this way since there was no turning back. Others here have reported this feeling.

Remember that you will be in good hands, these people do this everyday....you will do just fine.

Post when you can, or have a friend or relative post for you.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Better late than never. I watched your video and..... it's AWESOME!!!!! I could only spot the scoli because I was looking for it. A belated answer to your question about anyone else self-conscious about the deformity but others don't notice: YES. I look at my back in the mirror and see wrinkles and folds where they shouldn't be. My musculature is odd and my right arm hits my body whereas my left arm dangles inches away. No one else notices, but I don't make it a habit to run around with no clothes on either, LOL. I'm guessing you'll be taller when you're all done. I haven't had surgery so I can't really comment on your presurgery jitters. I wish you all the best, though. You have so much talent, it's truly amazing!
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

• Bill ...I also just watched your video and loved it. You have a wonderful voice and I would never have spotted your curve. Best wishes for a successful surgery and quick recovery. You're young and should do fine.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
          If by pre-meds you mean the little relaxation tablet they give you just prior to surgery, I have to say, go for it! I was not overly nervous but had planned on asking for one, on the recommendation of someone else. There was no argument, they brought me the tablet and I went off to sleep. I wasn't aware of going in to OR, the time in the OR before anaesthesia or anything else. I highly recommend it.
          Why would it even be necessary to ask for something before surgery? I was given light sedation via IV just before I was wheeled off to surgery and don't remember the ride down the corridor and I wanted to see what the operating room looked like. Is that not standard in Australia or the UK?
          Sally
          Last edited by loves to skate; 01-02-2012, 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• I'm not sure. It was the only surgery I've ever had. At that point, I had no IV.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Catch you all on the flip-side

B
              Billy
              32 year old male from UK
              Fused at 25yrs
              62 degree thoratic curve
              45 degree lumbar curve
              Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

• Best of luck to you Bill! I was thinking about you this afternoon as we are in the final hours beforehand as well. Hope you have a smooth time of it, and look forward to hearing how you did. Six hours til we wake up for the ride to the hospital and Jacob is excited to move forward. All the best,
                LeighAnn
                Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

• Hi guys. Surgery went well - pretty much got me completely straight and only fused from T3-L1. Lost a lot of blood so have had a few transfusions. Day 1 was tough. On Day 2 and things are getting a little easier. Off the morphine pump and on something that I'm drinking from a syringe that tastes like what I imagine cat piss to taste like. Stood up a couple of times but get nauseous and light headed (probably to do with blood). I'll let you know how I'm feeling tomorrow.

B
                  Billy
                  32 year old male from UK
                  Fused at 25yrs
                  62 degree thoratic curve
                  45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

• Glad to hear that you are on the other side. Take it easy and you will start to feel better soon
                    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• congratulations, Bill...
                      hope your recovery from now on is uneventful and smooth...
                      please have people with you always, whenever you get up or out of bed....
                      that dizziness...you don't want to fall anywhere!!

jess

Comment

• That was quick! Congratulations Bill. I was light headed on Day 2 as well. They gave me another unit of blood and I was fine on Day 3 to walk (though only to the door and back.) Glad you got a great result! I hope the days flow by smoothly and it's not long before you're home. Isn't it good to have it over and done with?!
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Bill

You did it. Just try to hang for now, take it slow. Things will improve in time....

Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Good to hear from you Bill. The first few days are tough from blood loss and anesthesia, but it'll wear off. Good luck with everything and keep us updated.

Comment

• Congrats Bill

So happy it all went well for you! You were in my thoughts and prayers. Hope your recovery progresses well. Each new step is such a hurdle, but seems to be done without a second thought the next time Are they giving you anything for the nausea? Funny how you two on the same day had the same T3-L1.
                              Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                              Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                              Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                              Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                              photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

• Day 4 and things are progressing slowly. Walking without help down the corridor and tried the stairs today which went well. It's gettin in an upright position from bed that is where the pain really goes up and I'm still getting a little woozy when I put back down. Told I could go home today but the pain is still a little too much to bear in a new Place with new obstacles, if you know what I mean?

B
                                Billy
                                32 year old male from UK
                                Fused at 25yrs
                                62 degree thoratic curve
                                45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

Working...
                                X