No announcement yet.

The Date Is Set!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those all sound like individual sports and not so much contact sports. When I think contact sports, I think hockey, rugby and American/Canadian football. I wouldn't even let my older son sign up for those sports and he has no spine issues at all but that's b/c I've seen so many serious injuries, especially in hockey, that I just wouldn't give my parental approval on it. The only sport he really wanted to join was football and there's no way I would let him. His cousin signed up for rugby and again I just said no. When he was old enough to sign for himself he'd already decided against those sports which is great. There are people here who have gone back to snowboarding, skiing (Ed) and horseback riding etc. but to my knowledge skydiving and bungy jumping are definitely out.

Elias is doing great. We/I am taking his recovery very slowly. He just started grade ten which is high school here and he's doing pretty well. He does not complain of any pain at all except to say his back feels 'tender'. I'll know more when we see Dr. K at the end of this month. Thanks for asking.
    Last edited by Elisa; 10-09-2011, 06:08 PM.
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

The skydiving has got to happen

I swim a fair bit as it is so that's going to be my go-to exercise to ease me back into some vague shape after the down time. And the walks around where my parents live are nice so there's an extra bonus.

Thanks for your concern, mate.
      Billy
      32 year old male from UK
      Fused at 25yrs
      62 degree thoratic curve
      45 degree lumbar curve
      Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

Did your surgeon say no sky diving? I would be surprised if so.

The only restriction my kids have is bungee jumping which apparently nobody should do in terms of potential to harm the back.

Good luck.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          Did your surgeon say no sky diving? I would be surprised if so.

The only restriction my kids have is bungee jumping which apparently nobody should do in terms of potential to harm the back.

Good luck.
          When you jump out of a plane with a parachute, isn't there a moment when you first jump that your spine is pulled upward? I don't know. I do know I'm not signing any waivers for anyone, especially Elias. As far as I know that's not on his wishlist anyway, thank goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by Elisa View Post
            When you jump out of a plane with a parachute, isn't there a moment when you first jump that your spine is pulled upward? I don't know. I do know I'm not signing any waivers for anyone, especially Elias. As far as I know that's not on his wishlist anyway, thank goodness.
            I don't know. Maybe other parents can chime in on whether sky diving was mentioned as a restriction with fusion.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I think in general, adults might have more restrictions than children.

There are surgeons out there who release kids from the hospital no less with NO restrictions other than their own pain.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I specifically asked my surgeon with regard to skydiving and he said, once my restrictions are lifted by him I can go and do anything I want to. Roller coasters are another thing I have to be able to do!! I'm glad your son isn't effected too much by his limitations!

Pooka, I will have no limitations after I'm fully fused (if all goes as planned!!). Does that make me a child?! If so, my life makes a whole lot more sense

I'll definitely be switching off the kamikaze setting for a good year at least.

B
                Billy
                32 year old male from UK
                Fused at 25yrs
                62 degree thoratic curve
                45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

My first surgeon gave me many restrictions with a smaller fusion than DR Bederman has this year. He basically told me to use common sense and to do what I feel up to
                  Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Bendy Bill,

Well you are 24. Young adults tend to group with kids in terms of recovery so I'm not shocked you will have no restrictions after the recovery period. That is the goal of the surgery.

We in my family all forgot the second anniversary of one daughter's surgery recently. My other daughter mentioned recently that she doesn't think about scoliosis any more. Our family has completely moved on from scoliosis. I think you will too along with most patients.

Good luck.
                    Last edited by Pooka1; 10-09-2011, 08:00 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Pooka, that is a wonderful sentiment - one I know I will be looking forward to during my recovery to help me along the way.

Thank you!

B
                      Billy
                      32 year old male from UK
                      Fused at 25yrs
                      62 degree thoratic curve
                      45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                        I don't know. Maybe other parents can chime in on whether sky diving was mentioned as a restriction with fusion.
                        Maybe those with fused spines shouldn't wear a parachute? Yes, I think that's what the restriction was; makes sense now, haha!

Comment

Originally posted by BendyBill View Post
                          I did find it a bit odd him saying that too and made my own decision to wait until after the final restrictions are lifted to partake in any contact sports - I'm taking no chances with my recovery. However, once restrictions have been lifted (I'm hoping after a year max) I plan on leading a life rich with adrenaline and excitement. Snowboarding, surfing, kite surfing, rock climbing as well as other things I come across on my travels - and I'll probably end up skydiving at some point too despite the warnings against it. It's just an experience that I think I'd regret not doing, you know?!
                          As far as I can tell from our surgeon and the testimonials, after the fusion period (8 months in our cases), some surgeons restrict contact sports and some don't. Clearly they are each working from their own datasets with various degrees of caution built in.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by BendyBill View Post
                            Hi Vicky,

NIGHTMARE. Having to inject myself in the stomach is not a nice thought because I'm absolutely shocking with needles.
                            I bet you come up to speed very quickly on that. I give my horse shots to preserve his joints and it took only about 3 shots before I was completely comfortable.

Good luck.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Skydiving ??????

Wow !

You are a real action man, aren't you? I hope you get to fulfil your ambition - sounds like it's a done deal already The most adventurous thing I have done post-op is bounce around Monument Valley in a jeep - not very comfortable at times but I was determined to do it and it felt great afterwards. This probably sounds pretty tame to you but if you saw how delicate I was for a while post-op, you'd be impressed too ! LOL

I was in hospital for 2 weeks. Mr Wilson-Macdonald said one week at my pre-op assessment but I had a tough time, losing a lot of blood during the op, and then had pnemonia. At one point they were thinking of transferring me to the JR as I needed more medical nursing than orthopaedic care - they even had the band round my wrist ready - but I must have picked up OK as I stayed put (or maybe there wasn't a bed available - you know how it is!)

I started back at work after 3 months, but only for a few hours twice a week at first and built it up from there. It was a year before I was back full-time and working normally.

I have been taking various strengths of co-codamol and gabapentin. Luckily I didn't have any bowel problems with the codeine which many seem to suffer from. They do make me drowsy at times though and I am looking forward to being able to think more clearly again. I'm not happy about being on them for so long but neither my GP nor Mr W-M seem unduly concerned which is why I didn't start cutting back sooner.

Everyone says to walk as much as you can during your recovery and I agree. As it was winter (remember all that snow in early 2010?), I used to get someone to drive me to a shopping centre where I could do my walking in the warm - the cold made my back muscles spasm and it was unbearable (still isn't great if I get really cold or shiver) so you might want to bear that in mind.

You probably won't have any of these problems - as I said I am small and slight and somehow I get the idea that you aren't - you're certainly much tougher (and fitter) than me anyway ! Just the thought of stepping out of that aeroplane is enough to make my back twinge! LOL

Vicky

Comment

Absolute nightmare. Surgery has been cancelled because my surgeon is going off somewhere for November. I'm sure it's for something important but it's a pain in the backside nonetheless!! Potentially a slot free mid December but they dont know if they'll be able to shuffle it around to make it work so it's all completely up in the air. To top it all off, this morning I traveled from London to Oxford to get an MRI done and got there only to be told that the MRI machine was broken.

Why is it when things seem to be going OK, when you finally come to terms with hard times, it all goes bloody wrong!!

GRRRRRRRRRRR

B
                                Billy
                                32 year old male from UK
                                Fused at 25yrs
                                62 degree thoratic curve
                                45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

Working...
                                X