No announcement yet.

The Date Is Set!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill, before my son had his first scoliosis surgery he'd come home from school around 3:00 in the afternoon and he'd be totally exhausted. I'm pretty sure it had a lot to do with his back muscles being so strained and sore and having to fight all day to keep his body in position. He got exhausted just walking across a parking lot at the very end would wear him out. His curve was very severe though: 110* when he was x-rayed in Portland in January 2011 and it might have been even more in March 2011 b/c he did actually lose an entire inch in height in those two months while we waited for a circle bed (halo traction) to come available.
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Hello all!

Spent 9 hours at the Nuffield in Oxford (UK) for my pre-op consultation yesterday and, apart from the delays they were experiencing, everything at my end seems to be in order. My consultant said I'll be fused from T3 to L3 which is slightly more than I thought... bummer. He's toying with the idea of going down to L4 but says it will depend on the flexibility of the compensatory lumbar curve. I expect they will decide this after having a good look at the bending xrays taken yesterday. I'm also going in for an MRI in a couple of weeks. What will this do? Is it just better because it's more detailed?

Also, what should I expect in terms of a loss of flexibility with a fusion T3-L3?

Trying to get a digital copy of my xray and I'll post it as soon as I have it!!

B x
      Billy
      32 year old male from UK
      Fused at 25yrs
      62 degree thoratic curve
      45 degree lumbar curve
      Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

Hey Bill. I'm fused down to L3, and flexibility isn't really compromised. It's not something that will change your world. Going down to L4, L5, S1 is where it starts making a difference. Try your hardest to stick to L3. But it really depends on your X-Rays and flexibility. If you must go to L4, make sure those lumbar levels are looking nice and straight so you don't have any asymmetrical loading and cause degeneration. Having 2 discs underneath is risky enough. Idk if you've read my thread, but I'm having revisional, and my first surgeon said I might need to go to L4, but stuck with L3 for flexibility, and my L4 was very unbalanced, so I'm having a revisional and luckily found out my spine is flexible to straighten everything out perfectly without extending it. Cause the less levels under the spine, the more stress they will have, which would cause more surgery down the road. And if you only have 2 levels, you'll be fused to S1 pretty quick. And I see you're only 24, and I bet you're active and what not.

Good to see another 20 something male on the forum lol. Don't see a lot of those around here. Take care and keep us updated.

Also, MRI shows the condition of the discs pretty much. Like if there is any problems or they are degenerating, it's just to make sure everything is in good condition. If there is degeneration in L4, he might have to include it in surgery just because it will continue to degenerate in time, causing you a revisional surgery in the near future. Basically look at this surgery, as fixing the levels that are curved from scoliosis, and after they fuse and become solid, you're now worried about the levels that are above and below those levels. Specifically the lower since you're going pretty low. The less discs, the more problems. It just causes problems with discs when you have a disc or two trying to carrying the stress from the many discs fused above it. So it will cause these discs to wear out over time, which means you have to extend the hardware down to that disc. And if you have only 1 disc, will, same story. So you'll be fused to S1 pretty much after time.

Hopefully your X-Rays show you good news like mine, such as being flexible enough to stay at L3 and still get a solid fixation with your spine.
        Last edited by JDM555; 10-07-2011, 12:38 PM.

Comment

The MRI does provide a much greater detail than the xrays. My surgeon could tell between the xrays and MRI images that part of my spine had already fused in crooked, so he had to work around the fused bones--he believed in "doing no harm" so my spine isn't as straight as it probably could have been...but I gained about two inches...

I know everyone is providing great advice but the one I really held to and helped was "everyday it will get better"..... well, and the good pain meds help too.

Best wishes and I will be saying prayers for your surgery.

Dollie
          Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
          Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
          Dr. Charles Edwards, II
          The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
          Before and after xrays:
          http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Yeah, my consultant was saying that I'd almost certainly have more problems if they had to fuse down to L4 so I'm desperately hoping that won't happen. I think I'm fairly flexible and I keep active so fingers crossed it'll be L3. And, yes! It's definitely good to have another 20something male on here. We are a rare breed.

Dollie, thanks for the advice. My surgeon said something similar to me on Thursday. He said I'll probably feel the worst I have ever felt - like having been hit by a truck - but that after a few days the progress is usually noticeable and that's a great help. Thank you for your prayers!

Overall, I'm feeling rather positive after my pre-op. The only thing I can see going wrong for me now is if the fusion has to go down to L4 but I'm hoping this won't happen...

Ah! One more thing. When I saw the Occupational Therapist, she told me I would have to inject myself in the stomach with some kind of blood thinner for 2 weeks after the operation to prevent DVTs. Is this usual? And I bet you guys didn't get the huge talk and testing for CJD (Mad Cow Disease)

Thanks for all your help!

B
            Billy
            32 year old male from UK
            Fused at 25yrs
            62 degree thoratic curve
            45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

Bill

I remember when they were incinerating all the cattle in the UK back in the 90s. It was an alarming situation.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_...encephalopathy

http://www.prwatch.org/prwissues/1996Q1/madcow11.html

On the last mad cow scare out here, beef prices doubled. Billions of dollars in sales were created faster than a lightning strike.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I’m sure you have looked at my bending and twisting thread link in my sig. I have adapted and things are fine.

There are not too many of us guys with scoliosis here....If a new male reader needs surgery and needs a new user name, I would recommend “Rod Stewart”.LOL You younger guys were lucky to have missed the “Do you think I’m sexy” era of 30 years ago. They played that song every 10 minutes on radio back then.....the disco era. Those were tough times.
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Not sure your "Occupational Therapist" knew what she was talking about regarding blood thinners.

Not sure about others who had this surgery, but I was forbidden from taking any kind of NSAIDs (Motrin, etc) for one to two months before the surgery as the last thing they want is thinner blood. I believe I have read that on several websites as well preparing people for this surgery.

Actually, now after the surgery, I am not suppose to take any NSAIDs for quite a while as it can inhibit the fusion.

You may want to talk to your surgeon about this....the loss of blood during this surgery is always a big issue. I was lucky at my surgery, with a brand new surgery facility, they were able to recycle 1/2 my blood.

Just a heads-up on this topic.

Dollie
                Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                Before and after xrays:
                http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Hi Bill

This is my first post ... keeping my fingers crossed I will make sense. Just to say that I had my op (fused T3 to L5) at the NOC in Oxford in November 2009. I was in hospital for 2 weeks and can confirm that I had the blood thinning injections every day.

Coming up to 2 years and my recovery has been tough at times and I am still "getting there" but I am a 56 year old biddy - I am sure you will do great and bounce back much quicker.

Best of luck !

Love this forum. Just wish I had found it before I had my op - there are a few things I would have done differently pre-op and lots of things I wouldn't have stressed over so much post-op.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and advice.

Vicky
                  PS my user name thirdattempt relates to my efforts to join the forum, not how many operations I have had - I need to try and change it !

Comment

Hi Vicky,

NIGHTMARE. Having to inject myself in the stomach is not a nice thought because I'm absolutely shocking with needles. I'll be fine with the tubes in me for the op and OK with taking blood but doing it myself??!! The OT said she might be able to find a way around it which would be lovely.

I'm so glad to hear that you're recovering nicely, I have heard on here that it can take rather a long time to feel completely normal again but you seem fairly positive so that's good!

May I just ask what the things are you would have done differently pre and post-op? And who was your surgeon? Bowden/Wilson-McDonald?

Thanks for your message, it's much appreciated.

B
                    Billy
                    32 year old male from UK
                    Fused at 25yrs
                    62 degree thoratic curve
                    45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

Hi again Bill

Sorry - I should have explained that I didn't inject myself, a nurse did it and there was never any suggestion I should do it myself. I promise it was only a "little jab" - nothing too awful.

My surgeon is Mr Wilson-Macdonald and he seemed very happy with my recent xrays and CT scan. I am still taking some meds for the pain but he doesn't seem concerned about that. Apparently the fact that I am small and slight doesn't help but I am now back at work full-time and have had two holidays in the US this year so take heart from what everyone says that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am trying to give up the meds but if they are the payoff for being able to do all that I need to do, then so be it. I also go to hydrotherapy sessions at the NOC - when the NHS permits!

I think the main thing I have learned from the forum is that everyone is different and recovery takes it own time and route for all of us. There were many days post-op that I despaired of ever feeling "normal" again but all you can do is take it a day at a time. I'm sure you will have plenty of family and friends on hand to keep your spirits up and of course everyone here will be with you in spirit and providing useful advice and support.

Let me know if I can help with any further info on the practicalities. How long do they think you will be in hospital for?

Vicky

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Vicky.

I suppose I'll just have to deal with the DVT shots, although I was told I'd have to do it to myself for up to 2 weeks after my surgery... bizarre.

I've hear brilliant things about Mr. Wilson-Macdonald. I'm under Mr. Bowden and saw his senior registrar who told me I should be back to work after 3 months, back to sport (he said even contact sports!) after 6 and totally back to normal with no restrictions after a year. Not sure if that might be slightly on the optimistic side but I'll try and work towards it. And they said I'd be in hospital for 4-5 days. How long were you in?

What drugs have you been on during your recovery? How have they effected you?

B
                        Billy
                        32 year old male from UK
                        Fused at 25yrs
                        62 degree thoratic curve
                        45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

Contact sports after spinal fusion? Hmm, I don't think that's a good idea Bill. What kind of contact sports were you thinking of getting back into? I have been told absolutely no contact sports for my son, which is fine b/c he's not athletic anyway. I wouldn't risk it at all but then again, I'm keeping my son in a glass case until he's a full year post op, heh.
                          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

I only had a day or two of blood thinners. I , also, question the contact sports. I would be very careful
                            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I did find it a bit odd him saying that too and made my own decision to wait until after the final restrictions are lifted to partake in any contact sports - I'm taking no chances with my recovery. However, once restrictions have been lifted (I'm hoping after a year max) I plan on leading a life rich with adrenaline and excitement. Snowboarding, surfing, kite surfing, rock climbing as well as other things I come across on my travels - and I'll probably end up skydiving at some point too despite the warnings against it. It's just an experience that I think I'd regret not doing, you know?!

How is Elias doing?

B
                              Billy
                              32 year old male from UK
                              Fused at 25yrs
                              62 degree thoratic curve
                              45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

Skydiving is on my list for sure lol. I also don't think contact sports, or even regular sports that involve twisting/bending/running/etc. at 6 months is a smart move. Work at 3 months is fine. I returned to school in the fall I think 4.5 weeks after surgery. It was tough, but doable. So 3 months should be plenty of time. I recommend walking and swimming for some exercise, but nothing that would affect your fusion/hardware. Just take it very easy, and don't bend/twist at all during recovery lol. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X