No announcement yet.

The Date Is Set!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very glad things are going so well for you so early out! That's great. Congratulations. You must be very relieved. Best wishes for a continued good recovery. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• I would like to know the explanation for your scraped nipples!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• I'd like to know too! I missed that before I wrote my comment above. All I know is that the many hours on your stomach makes your whole front hurt--but that doesn't make sense! Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Originally posted by BendyBill View Post
          Well, touch wood, everything continues to be this smooth!! I do have a couple of problems, mind you.
          Firs of all, as I've seen in the forums a LOT, is that the cold is a nightmare. I left the radiator off in my room upstairs and wend from in front of a cosy fireplace to a cold room and all my back muscles immediately seized up! Painful!!! I suppose I just need to remember to turn on my radiator... Lesson learnt

Also, at night time I seem to be sleeping in one position all night and I stiffen up so much so logrolling and pushing myself up is bloody agony. Anyone else have this? Any tips?

One more thing... Is anyone unhappy with their post op body shape? Bizarrely, I look more like I have scoliosis now than I did before. My scoli curves seemed to be fairly even so my torso looked more 'squat' but pretty straight and even. Now It's longer but clearly uneven and I have the 'one arm touching the hip, one arm dangling' thing. Anyone?

Hope you're all well - good to be on the other side!

B
          Hi Bill!

Congrats on being on the other side. I, too, have the same hip
          issue post op. I really hope it resolves itself. The things I've
          found painful post op are shivering, laughing, crying and
          sneezing.

Have you tried falling asleep on your side to try and give
          your back some relief?

Warmly
          Doreen
          44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
          Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
          2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Hi Doreen. Thank you very much! Jar you noticed any change at all? How does your outward appearance compare to your post op X-rays?

Thanks for your help

B
            Billy
            32 year old male from UK
            Fused at 25yrs
            62 degree thoratic curve
            45 degree lumbar curve
            Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

Hi Doreen. Thank you very much! Jar you noticed any change at all? How does your outward appearance compare to your post op X-rays?

Thanks for your help

B
              Pre-op no one could tell I had scoliosis; post-op I am tilted slightly to the left as my left hip protrudes quite a bit now. I wobble a bit when I walk now because one leg is shorter than the other. I talked with Dr. Lenke's office recently and his nurse said this sometimes happens. She said if it doesn't resolve itself, I might have to use a little lift in my left shoe. My post op xrays are practically straight at 10*. You can see the xrays here on the Dec 5 post: http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Warmly,
              Doreen
              44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
              Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
              2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I'm guessing that the rest of our body "conforms" to our scoliosis at least to some degree. Like was mentioned earlier, it may take some time to conform back. We talked about leg length discrepancy on one thread, don't think it was this one, but not sure. I'd be curious how many of us scoli's have different leg lengths as compared to the rest of the population? That would definitely make you feel like you were walking with a tilt after correction.
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Sharon. Definitely puts my mind at ease!

Another, slightly less pressing question... Did anyone else get the most horrendous nipple chafing post op? I swear it was like they had spent the last half hour Of the operation taking sandpaper to my nipples before wheeling me out of the OR. I noticed when I first got changed and they were completely scabbed over and one is completely numb!!!

B
                  Be glad you're not female. I've read a couple of posts on here from female forum members that had horrible breast bruising. But I don't know what happened to you....? :-(
                  Be happy!
                  We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

• I have a tilt to the left. My left shoulder is lower than my right. It feels like one leg is shorter, the left one, but when I stand with my feet together and lift my left heel, I even up all the way up to my shoulders. I asked Dr. Askin if I should wear a heel lift and he said no. He was quite emphatic about it and it caught me off guard and I didn't ask why not? When I walk I feel uneven until I sort of consciously pull my left hip further towards the left and miraculously everything kind of evens up and I walk without what I call my "lope."

Small bikkies in the scheme of things. I should say I'm very happy with my outcome.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• It's bizarre, as if they've gone in to straighten me up and have over-shot the mark! I've ordered digital copies of the X-rays (£18!!) taken a couple of days post-op so am looking forward to having a look at them and getting your opinions.

But, yes - small bikkies, indeed! I know this is not important stood next to the (touch wood) pain free life I'll be leading from now on.

Rohrer, that sounds horrible! It must be a rather vigorous operation to create enough movement to bruise the patient.

B
                      Billy
                      32 year old male from UK
                      Fused at 25yrs
                      62 degree thoratic curve
                      45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

• Billy,
                        It sounds like you're recovering well. I love the different expressions: "small bikkies" and "touch wood". In the US, we say "Knock on wood". Keep up the good work with your recovery.
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Is it strange that I'm not having any physio post-op? Do you guys recommend any exercises at all? Currently I'm just walking as much as I can.

Thanks

B
                          Billy
                          32 year old male from UK
                          Fused at 25yrs
                          62 degree thoratic curve
                          45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

• Also... Wow... Sneezing is the worst...
                            Billy
                            32 year old male from UK
                            Fused at 25yrs
                            62 degree thoratic curve
                            45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

• I was told to walk as much as possible and I have done that religiously for a year. I was worried about arm muscles atrophying in the early months and begged for some exercises for biceps and triceps. They were exercises I did (and still do) while laying on my back on the bed with light weights (bicep curls, wings, etc.) I was encouraged to walk in the water and move my arms there with the resistance of the water, but I don't know if you have access to an indoor pool. Some people on the forum started physical therapy early in their recovery and I would have welcomed it, but my surgeon felt that most physical therapists aren't familiar enough with this surgery and might cause more harm than good. I have always enjoyed exercising and I want to get back to my presurgery condition, so I am disciplined in working out at home and at the YMCA daily. Good luck with your recovery & don't push yourself too hard in the early months.
                              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                              Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Age-60 at the time of surgery
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Is it strange that I'm not having any physio post-op? Do you guys recommend any exercises at all? Currently I'm just walking as much as I can.

Thanks

B
                                Not for your age. You group with the teenagers and I think I have only seen one out of many many many testimonials where physio was done post-op. And I'm not convinced that was the surgeon's idea or there was something very unusual in that case or something. I don't really remember.

It seems to be unnecessary. The walking is necessary. It really seemed to speed the recovery of both my daughters. They were back in school full time between 3 and 4 weeks post op. I predict you have a similar trajectory if you do the walking.

Good luck.
                                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X