Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Date Is Set!

Hello all,

I haven't been around for a while because I've been finishing off my music degree (got great results!! WOOHOO!) but I'm now out and ready to have the op. I've finally set the dates for my pre-op consultation and for the operation with my surgeon (Dr. Gavin Bowden - John Radcliffe in Oxford, UK) for the 6th October and 8th November, respectively. I'm feeling fairly positive about it all at the moment with the odd lapse of confidence here and there, usually regarding the potential increase in pain post-op compared to the minimal pain I experience now and, most of all, because of the very little there is to know about the long-term effects of Cotrel-Dubousset instrumentation (anyone found any good studies?) but, overall, I'm feeling better than I thought I would. Don't you find the ambiguity of scoliosis and surgery the hardest thing to deal with? The research needed to make the 'right' decision seems to be endless!!!

One problem I've been having is that I've been trying to get hold of my surgeon since June with some questions about when he thinks I'll be able to get back to work, which levels I'm getting fused and some other basic things, but he still hasn't replied despite telling me during my last consultation that he'd be available for any questions?! Is this normal?

Hope you're all doing well and thanks for any help you might be able to give!

B x
    Billy
    32 year old male from UK
    Fused at 25yrs
    62 degree thoratic curve
    45 degree lumbar curve
    Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

billy good luck with your surgery
    Last edited by kennedy; 10-17-2011, 04:23 PM.
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

Thanks Kara! So glad to see that you are doing well. x
      Billy
      32 year old male from UK
      Fused at 25yrs
      62 degree thoratic curve
      45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

your welcome if you have questions about the surgery and recovery feel free to ask
        Kara
        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
        Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
        T4-L2
        Before 50T
        After 20T

Comment

Hi Bill,

Congratz on scheduling your date! From what I've heard about the UK medical program, folks are not always very responsive to patients in a timely manner. My hubby just visited Oxford and absolutely loved it! He was on a project for a client in Banbury and had some free time, so went to Oxford for the day. Our daughter has been saying for years (she's just 11) that she plans to study law, psychology or anthropology at Oxford. We were planning a family trip to Oxford and Paris for springtime; however, my spinal situation has taken priority. I'm sure I'll enjoy the trip so much more after I have surgery.

Warmly,
          Doreen
          44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
          Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
          2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks Doreen. Well, hopefully he'll clear everything up when I go for the pre-op consultation in October!! Oxford is lovely. I don't live there but have a number of friends who went to the Oxford Uni and it's wonderful that your daughter wants to study there - she sounds bright as a button! I'll be recovering at my parents place in Windsor where I grew up so will have lovely walks to take and plenty of my old friends to keep me company! Thanks for the kind words and enjoy Oxford when you eventually make it!
            Billy
            32 year old male from UK
            Fused at 25yrs
            62 degree thoratic curve
            45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

First of all, congratulations on your music degree! I'm in the process of getting my music ed degree. (One of the best fields of study, but that's just my opinion.) : )

I'm glad you were able to get a date. Not knowing what to expecit is probably one of the hardest things about this surgery. I had my surgery in November and was back in school full time right after Christmas break. I went back a little at a time 2 weeks after, but that was pushing it a lot. Hope everything works out for you and you have a successful surgery and recovery, and you can get back to music!! : )
              Katie

My blog: http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/
              My video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG9hMohsU0

5 Boston back braces
              Spinal fusion- Nov. 17, 2009, senior year of high school
              52 and 57 degrees pre-surgery, 22 and 20 degrees post-surgery
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Shriners Children's Hospital, Chicago
              Back into volleyball and music as a senior in college!

Comment

First of all congrats on making your dates! And don't feel bad about those moments of doubt. I'd say we all have them, even those of us who HAD to have the surgery. I was certain I was making the right choice, but I was still terrified about it. Thankfully I only had a month to be terrified. But what I did when I had those scared moments was repeat to myself why I was doing it now. I also tried to focus on the positives, like having a straight back, not having to worry about my curves progressing any more, things like that. Your date isn't too far out, which I think is a blessing. I don't know how people live with that date for a year or more! I'd have lost my mind lol.

I would definitely want to know what plan your surgeon had for your spine, I'd say that is a bit unusual here. But I guess every surgeon is different. Also, my surgeon told me in my pre-op visits he was going to fuse me all the way to S1 and then when I came out of surgery he happily told me I was only fused to L4. So I guess plans change. But it is good to have an idea! =)

Since I was already in pain pre-op I was scared of it getting worse (esp. since my surgeon warned me that could be the case with my leg pain) but so far for me, my pain has greatly decreased in one leg and is completely gone (as of 4-5 months post-op) in the other. I just decided that, worse case scenario, I'd rather be in pain with a straight back than be in pain with a crooked back that will eventually crush my insides.

As you are getting ready, you may find the preparing for surgery page on my blog helpful.

Blessings on your surgery!
                Rebecca
                Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
                wore night bending brace as teenager
                Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
                herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
                fusion L2-3 November 2008
                Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
                Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
                Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
                gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
                Before and After X-rays
                My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Congrats on your degree and your scheduled surgery, Bill! It's frustrating that some surgeons are not as available to their patients as they should. I hope you get your answers soon. I don't think it's too much to ask, though I know our surgeons are busy.

Best of luck! Glad you don't have too long to wait.

Jen
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Billy,
                    Congratulations on getting your music degree! It's tough to make the decision to have surgery when you are in minimal pain. I was in minimal pain as well and was terrified of the surgery. I worried daily with "what if" thoughts prior to the surgery. I am happy to say that my recovery has (so far) been smooth with much less pain than I anticipated. Although recovery is no piece of cake, I am thrilled with the results and so happy that I decided to have the surgery. Best of luck and be sure to post after your surgery.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

That's great about your music degree Bill and I'm wishing you all the best with your upcoming surgeries.
                      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Hi Bill
                        Congrats on the music degree and your decision.

Since you brought up the CD instrumentation subject, I ordered Dr Cotrel’s book “In the sands of Berck” today.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/profess...-autobiography

I remember when his system came out back in 1984 and was exited about it. This system was the launching of the pedicle screw used in all the scoli surgeries done today. Before this time, it was Harrington rods and Luque wires.

All the best
                        Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Post-op joy

Yes congrats,
                          I would also like to add, for those considering surgery that the post-op period is quite life changing. I felt a bit sorry for myself that I would be using all my accumulated sick and holiday pay on recovery. I am pleased to say though except for a bad two weeks in hospital, mainly due to a bowel ileus (sleepy bowel), recovery has been dreamlike. I have been enjoying walks and have really slowed down so I am noticing flowers etc that I would have overlooked in the past. I have really enjoyed quality time with family and friends, as well as reading and watching DVDs guilt free. This the holiday I always wanted but I think in holidays you always feel you should be on the go or productive. It sounds like you might be ready for this kind of break too. The area of my back that was concave is still quite numb and gets a bit achy at night but I feel that in time it will pass but may take months. I am now just over 4 weeks post-op and will be ready to return to work at 6 weeks, although my work isn't physical and quite cruisy.
                          All the best
                          Kelly
                          Progress
                          49 yrs
                          55 deg thoraculumbar
                          Progress 1 hr Nth of Sydney, Australia
                          49 yrs
                          55 deg thorocolumbar
                          Fused T9 to L3, Aug 11th 2011

Comment

hi Kelly
                            i am glad that you had a good experience with surgery...
                            but i am absolutely shocked that you compare it to a vacation!!

jess

Comment

Glad that you made the decision to schedule surgery. Once I made the date to have surgery, I felt better; like I had a plan going forward. My current surgeon is wonderful about returning calls and emails. My first surgeon did not get back to me in a timely manner at all, but then I had nothing to compare it to. You need to get your questions and concerns answered in a timely manner

Melissa
                              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
                              X