Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise to treat back pain works great

Greetings
    I have had an s curve (48/50) . My hips are slightly rotated and one is higher then the other. Same thing with my ribcage and my shoulders. I was diagnosed late and my bones had already fused and I stopped growing. I was told wearing a brace would be ineffective at that point. For as long as I could remember I have had back pain. Somedays it was a dull ache that I ignored and other days I was in so much pain all I could do was lay flat on my back. If i stand for too long or walk to long especially in cute but bad for you heels, or sit in an unsupportive chair, i feel pain. I thought i was just my burden to bear bc Surgery scared me and Im not one for pain killers. I always worked out to some degree but not that seriously. Then one day I was given the gift of sessions with a personal trainer. This person Was very experienced with back problems and put me on a schedule of weight training with moderate weights catered to make specific muscles stronger. Pretty soon I noticed my back hurt less and less and I was standing up straighter. I didn't just back muscles, i strengthened all muscles in my body like legs and abs Ect. Very slowly I increased the weights and continue to push myself. I have been doing this for a few years now and was told to keep it up by the dr. I am careful not to over do it and I don't do anythin stupid or extreme and if somethig doesnt feel right I stop immediately. Not every exercise is right for every person. Weight training also contributed to losing weight and this also was probably a reason my back hurt less bc there was less pressure on it. I wanted to share my story and hope this can give direction to some others. Chiropractic didn help me and it's not for everyone. Massages are great too. We don't have to live with pain just bc we elect not to have surgery. Does the work for anyone else? Don't be afraid to try it

i am glad you benefit from exercise...
    some people are in too much pain for the gym.....
    i worked out 3-4 times a week, both cardio and weights, while working a
    full time job, until i herniated discs...
    after that, my pain increased to the point that exercise became impossible....

jess

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I've been weight training for years up until June 2011. Working out always relieved some of my back pain;however, in June it actually aggravated my situation. I've backed off on the weight training and now do exercises my PT showed me followed up with stretching yoga. Even though this new routine feels good while I'm doing it, the pain quickly returns. I'll continue to exercise daily and look forward to the day where I can re-introduce weights. My hubby and I released over 100 pounds (I won't say "lost" weight because I'm not looking for it). It took us years to become overweight and unhealthy and it took us some time to learn new habits. We've been living healthy for over 11 years. 5 years ago when I was told my curves were 40*, the time wasn't right for me to consider surgery (figured if I ignore the issue, it will go away - NOT!). Now that my curves are 72*/59*, not only is the time right, the surgical technology is right and I am the healthiest I've ever been (except for my back), and mentally I'm ready. A doctor told me recently that whatever I've been doing for exercise, keep it up because my muscle tone is great.

Warmly,
      Doreen
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Congratulations Doreen ! I have released weight as well funny how it takes twice as long to take off then it took to put on. Yoga is great and so is pilAtes. I got bored very easily with those it's a bit to slow for me. I forgot to mention that with the years I have been weight training, my upper curve actually decreased by 10 degrees! I really believe that by doing the right exercises which is different for every person, it makes you feel better. It makes me forget I even have it except for one memorable moment. Last year I was a bride and on top of all of the stress I had going on I went to my first fitting for my dress. I was so excited after waiting for months to get I in. It was a strapless gown with the back slightly dipped. It was a pain in the ass lace up back corset that was tight on the hips too. The seamstress was on the senior side and had no filter on her mouth. I put my dress on and as she was adjusting things she kept tugging it to the side in the back and mumbeling to herself. Finally she said "oh it is back that is crooked, not dress." It hit me like a ton of bricks I had never given thought to how my back would look in the dress. She kept saying the dress in back looks uneven, it didn't line up right. It was all I could do not to burst into tears right there I was able to hold it in until I got outside with my mom. I was completely freaking out and All I could think of was everyone would see only that when I walked down the aisle and it looked bad and would draw attention to it. I was in pure panic and brooding when I went for the next fitting. The seamstress came in and said "I have solution" she began stuffing padding into one section of the back. I was totally doubtful until I saw the result. It actually looked better and less noticeable that my back didn't line up with the lace. By the time she was done at my final fitting it was perfect and not very noticeable. The rest was perfect, I just wanted to share my personal experience with people who understand.

Comment

i was thin, but i have lost a lot more weight from being on pain meds....
          last year i went down to 87 pounds, but i am now up to 91 pounds (5'3+" down from 5'5")....
          if i have surgery, the doctor wants me to be at least 100 pounds, as they figure
          on weight loss right after surgery, from the pain meds, morphine, etc....
          i have zero appetite with the medication...hydrocodone and oxycontin....
          i have stopped the meds for a week at a time....but cannot get out of bed due to pain....

jess
          Last edited by jrnyc; 09-09-2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Hi Jess,

I was told to gain weight before surgery too. I was 5'10" 135#. When I stress, I drop weight. I dropped down to 133# but then I got measured last month and am now 5'7". My family visited recently and I've been taller than my dad and brother since I was about 13 years old. They walked in the door, they both measure 5' 8", and their jaws dropped because I literally looked up to them. I told them to take a picture because it's not going to last. It's tricky gaining healthy weight. I'm not going back to eating crap just to move the scale because crappy food won't do anything good for my body.

Warmly,
            Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

it's strange...i always used to be able to eat sugary foods, even when i wasn't hungry...
              not any more....
              i have completely lost my sugar cravings...
              i pretty much have been living on Greek yogurt...the other kind of yogurt actually
              upsets my stomach...
              but i have no appetite...nothing tempts me....
              very strange....

jess

Comment

Jess,

Have you tried adding some all-natural granola and fresh fruit to your yogurt to boost the nutrition and calories? Smoothies are super simple to make and filling. Here is my daughter's recipe http://www.lizziemariecuisine.com/20...smoothies.html

Warmly,
                Doreen

Comment

I have to agree that exercise/training/getting fit does help with back pain, for those of us lucky enough to be able to exercise. I found this when I got fit for surgery. By the time surgery came round, I wasn't in much pain at all. But I knew I couldn't keep up that routine for the rest of my life and my spine would continue curving, so I went ahead with it and am so glad I did.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

thanks, Doreen
                    i'll try the recipe without the orange juice...
                    can't handle acid-y stuff...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                      it's strange...i always used to be able to eat sugary foods, even when i wasn't hungry...
                      not any more....
                      i have completely lost my sugar cravings...
                      i pretty much have been living on Greek yogurt...the other kind of yogurt actually
                      upsets my stomach...
                      but i have no appetite...nothing tempts me....
                      very strange....

jess
                      I do love Greek yogurt. It has a much nicer flavor than regular yogurt

Melissa
                      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
                      X