Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy After Surgery

Hi All,

I am almost exactly 1 year out from surgery, and I'm doing very well! I go back to see my surgeon in a few weeks.

I will of course ask him the same question, but I wanted to ask everyone else here too - is 1 year post surgery an ok time to get pregnant? When I asked my surgeon this question originally he said 6 months, but he does tend to throw caution to the wind a bit with his responses . No lost love for him, just want to be thorough and do my own side research.

Let me know if anyone asked the same question and also if anyone did in fact get pregnant so "soon" after surgery.

Thank you!

Hi JamieAnn ,

Congrats on being 1 year post-op! I am curious as to what other people say on this topic because your case sounds so much like mine. I'm still pre-op but want to get pregnant as soon as i can after the surgery. Even the levels you were fused are what my doctor recommended. How is your flexibility/mobility if you don't mind me asking?

Take care
    30 y.o female, very active, considering surgery
    08/03/11 - 54 degrees
    06/2004 - 33 degrees
    Don't like hospitals

Comment

Hi!

I really honestly feel normal with regard to flexibility. I don't feel any different than I did before - the fusion is relatively "short" and I haven't noticed any limitations at all. I'm glad they didn't have to fuse lower as I know it would be much different if so.

Comment

My surgeon was very stern about waiting at least a year. I've heard some surgeons say 2...but I bet it depends on how long the fusion/correction is.

I'd just go with your gut. If you feel strong enough, and up to the challenge at over a year post-op, I'd think it's okay. I remember someone posting a while back that she accidentally got pregnant only a few months post-op! And she did okay, it was really hard but she and the baby were great.

My surgeon said it takes at least a full year for your bones to truly heal.

My husband and I just got approved to adopt, so I've been checking out baby furniture. I came across this amazing furniture...not sure if you could find it anywhere else but here in central florida, but we are definitely buying it! Maybe they'd ship it? Anyway, it has a gate on the top that folds down w/o endangering the baby, and enables you to reach down into the crib w/o straining your back. I went to the store and I could reach the bottom of the crib with the mattress at the lowest setting and pick up the doll they had! I am fused a little further, but I still think it'd be a good thing for people with any back problems at all. I didn't want to get one of the ones that slides up and down, I've read too many bad things. http://www.crib4life.com/?page_id=60

Anyway, thought it was a cool invention!
        Rebecca
        Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
        wore night bending brace as teenager
        Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
        herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
        fusion L2-3 November 2008
        Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
        Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
        Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
        gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
        Before and After X-rays
        My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

9 mos to 1 year

This is what Dr. Lenke's staff told me. They said that they like to get that 1 year xray prior to getting pregnant but he feels that post-surgical you are ok after 9 mos. if no complications.
          Heidi
          35 year old mother of 2 lil girls
          60 degree thoracic
          44 degree lumbar
          Oct. 11, 2010 surgery
          Dr. Lenke St. Louis
          1 year follow up: 15 degree thoracic, 22 lumbar
          fused T1 to L1

Comment

My fusion is similar to yours and my doctor said one year post op, ideally.
            Pre-surgery 5/27/11
            Thoracic 48
            Lumbar 31
            Boston Brace from 1992-93
            Post surgery
            Thoracic less than 10
            Lumbar 0

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am going for my one year post-op appt on Thursday - I am confident Dr. Errico will say the same!

Thanks again,
              Jamie

Comment

Just a little note to add to the question. As you can see I had my operation in the very early days but I would just like you to know that even in my case I had no problems with my two pregancies, in fact being fused actually helped. I have also led a problem free life until 1997 and considering how bad my scoliosis was I consider that an absolute bonus.

Good luck to all of you,

Lorraine
                Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

I'm fused to L4, and 39. We're going to adopt. If I know anything, it's that I am not going to go through this surgery again and I don't want to risk giving birth early. But we're all different, so who knows? I probably err on the side of overly safe, but my husband concurs that "effective February 2011, pregnancy is off the table."

Good luck to you guys though!
                  Female, age 38
                  4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                  currently 64*upper/40*lower
                  Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                  now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Hi Again,

Just wanted to add that I did meet with my surgeon this morning and asked about pregnancy. Just as I thought he said no problems at all at this stage.

Thanks again for all of your replies

Comment

just saw this fantastic news!!!!! Get busy LOL
                      Sarahcant
                      Surgery March 15
                      Dr. Errico NYU
                      Fused T-3 to S-1
                      an inch and change taller
                      nice and straight
                      49 years old (yikes)

Comment

Working...