Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Scoliosis Book Ideas

Hi,
    I am a writer by profession and I have scoliosis. It might just be a pipedream, but I've been thinking about potentially combining the two to write a book about scoliosis. The question is what type of book is needed. I have read the great book that Dave Wolpert wrote about surgery, and I have read some of the wonderful blogs that many have created and am trying to figure out where my interest meets need.

My first thought would be to write a series of profiles about how people made the decision to have surgery or to do something else that brought them relief. A chapter would track an individual before and post surgery and show the difference in the life. I have not had surgery and am still contemplating the possibility, but have been impressed by the bravery of those who have and in how people have adapted after. I thought such a book would be interesting to people trying to make the decision as they could read the stories and see glimpses of themselves, and for a small secondary group, i would want to make the human interest stories compelling..

Just thinking about it, but am interested in the thoughts of this very vocal, savvy and brave group.
    Lisa
    60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
    58 years old

I think that's a great idea! I know that I would have loved to read something like that before my surgery. That could be such a help to others. People want to know what to expect-- not necessarily only the complex details of human anatomy, if you know what I mean. Seeing that others have gone through it and not only survived but are living happy and successful lives would be so encouraging to those who are facing the same thing. For your enjoyment and others' benefit, I hope you decide to do it!
    Katie

My blog: http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/
    My video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG9hMohsU0

5 Boston back braces
    Spinal fusion- Nov. 17, 2009, senior year of high school
    52 and 57 degrees pre-surgery, 22 and 20 degrees post-surgery
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Shriners Children's Hospital, Chicago
    Back into volleyball and music as a senior in college!

Comment

Thanks Katie for your encouragement. It's helpful. Still just thinking about it. Let me know if you have any other ideas. I love your blog and video.
      Best,
      Lisa
      60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
      58 years old

Comment

Working...
      X