No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you who are believers in prayer, please keep me in your prayers.

My husband is out of a job
    We are losing our health insurance Oct 1
    I might not be able to get health insurance

Thanks Everyone
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Isn't there enough wrong with you that you could get disability or SSI if you haven't "worked" enough? That would qualify you for Medicare and state aid. Then you should be covered. I know it takes time, but it's worth a shot. Believe me. I've seen people on it for FAR less reasons than you have.
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

• Well, I got the stitches out today and will begin PT for the next 5 weeks. My surgeon gave me the same explanation that Dr Bederman gave me over the weekend.

I will look into the insurance information.

I do not qualify for SS Disability. I have not worked since 1992
        Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
          For those of you who are believers in prayer, please keep me in your prayers.

My husband is out of a job
          We are losing our health insurance Oct 1
          I might not be able to get health insurance

Thanks Everyone
          I am so sorry to hear this news. Melissa, buy a lottery ticket, because you are way overdue for some good luck.

I hope the PT goes well for you and hope the pain is properly controlled in the meantime. Sending hugs and well-wishes, which seem terribly inadequate right at this moment.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Melissa--
            I totally agree with Jennifer. It's hard to know what to say but the positive thoughts/prayers folks are still pulling for you everyday! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Hi Melissa...

Sorry about your husband's job. Hopefully, he'll find something else quickly. Any possibility of moving back to NC? I was thinking that you might be able to sell your land in California, take any equity from the fire insurance payoff, and get something in NC for a lot less money.

I don't know what your financial status is, but COBRA will take you through the beginning of 2014 if I'm not mistaken. Then, if your husband still hasn't found employment, Obamacare will help you. (Check out the chart: HERE.)

--Linda
              Last edited by LindaRacine; 07-17-2012, 05:22 PM.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Well, I got the stitches out today and will begin PT for the next 5 weeks. My surgeon gave me the same explanation that Dr Bederman gave me over the weekend.

I will look into the insurance information.

I do not qualify for SS Disability. I have not worked since 1992
                There are two categories of "disability" within the Social Security Administration. For those of us who have not worked outside the home for long enough to have adequate "points" to qualify for SSD (Social Security Disability), there is SSI (Supplimental Security Income). This is for disabled people who have never worked or haven't worked enough to qualify for SSD. The monthly payments are NOT enough to live on, BUT you would qualify for Medicare and also be able to get disability benefits through your state such as the Medicaid program to suppliment your Medicare. It's worth looking in to for you.
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

• I'm also inclined to agree with Linda about moving back to NC to be near your daughter. Wasn't the reason you moved to CA because your husband found this great job? If that was truly the reason, why not try looking for a job on the east coast?
                  Be happy!
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                    There are two categories of "disability" within the Social Security Administration. For those of us who have not worked outside the home for long enough to have adequate "points" to qualify for SSD (Social Security Disability), there is SSI (Supplimental Security Income). This is for disabled people who have never worked or haven't worked enough to qualify for SSD. The monthly payments are NOT enough to live on, BUT you would qualify for Medicare and also be able to get disability benefits through your state such as the Medicaid program to suppliment your Medicare. It's worth looking in to for you.
                    Thanks for that information. I will look into it
                    Melissa

Comment

I'm also inclined to agree with Linda about moving back to NC to be near your daughter. Wasn't the reason you moved to CA because your husband found this great job? If that was truly the reason, why not try looking for a job on the east coast?
                      We cannot sell the land here in CA. I am committed to my son to stay in CA for the next three years until he graduates from the preforming arts HS. I really think that there is a very good reason that I live in CA while my daughter lives in NC. I think that I might kill her because she is getting worse .
                      Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,
                        I am so sorry about your husband's loss of job. What else can go wrong? My husband went through unemployment every time there was a recession and I can tell you from experience that it truly was the most difficult of times. I ended up going back to work full time and it was a good thing that I did. Otherwise my husband and I never would have been able to afford to retire. If you cannot work, the suggestion of looking into SSI benefits sounds like a good idea. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am glad you didn't have to have the full rotator cuff surgery, because while the surgery is easy, the recovery is very difficult. At least you have that going for you.
                        Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Well, I checked into SSI and was told today that my husband makes too much money irregardless of the fact that we spend $2500 a month on healthcare

There is no help for middle class people
                          Melissa

Comment

Well, I checked into SSI and was told today that my husband makes too much money irregardless of the fact that we spend $2500 a month on healthcare

There is no help for middle class people
                            How can he make too much money if he's unemployed? That's dumb! It sounds like you are in the same boat with health insurance as we are. We aren't paying that much money, but we are the "working poor". Ours is hefty for hubby's wages. Ours is over $800 a month PLUS deductibles and meds. That's a third of our income.
                            Be happy!
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

How can he make too much money if he's unemployed? That's dumb! It sounds like you are in the same boat with health insurance as we are. We aren't paying that much money, but we are the "working poor". Ours is hefty for hubby's wages. Ours is over $800 a month PLUS deductibles and meds. That's a third of our income.
                              They use last years W2 to determine if you qualify
                              Melissa

Comment

• I hope this isn't a silly question, but how are you Melissa? I hope the shoulder is healing for you, with pain under control.
                                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                                X