X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just spoke to Melissa briefly...
    she was upset that her insurance is making her leave
    hospital "tonite" and the one rehab they want to send
    her to is not the one she wants to go to...

she couldn't stay on phone...she was trying to
    deal with the insurance issue...
    we are supposed to talk tomorrow

jess

Comment

• Horrible that she's having to deal with this at this time. If only these things would go smoothly for Melissa. Please tell her we are all thinking of her and wishing for a peaceful recovery for her.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Thanks, Jess, for the update. And I'm glad Sparky is okay!

Melissa, glad to hear you are up and about. Hope the post-op issues resolve soon. I'm looking forward to hearing how the surgery went and if you feel it was successful.

Best,
        Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Melissa--
          I was so relieved to see your post! I sure hope things start going more smoothly for you. You are continually in my thoughts and prayers!

Jess--Thanks for doing the updates for us. That is much appreciated.

Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• well...my cell phone is doing weird stuff....had Melissa's
            phone number in recent calls and all recent calls disappeared
            from phone...
            still have Marc's phone number, but am getting voice mail...
            will try again Thursday....i am concerned about whether Melissa
            had to leave hospital and which rehab the insurance will let her go to...

hoping for good things for her...
            jess

Comment

• I'm wondering why they are suddenly giving her a bad time about which rehab facility she can go to. I know she posted that she was able to go to the one she wanted. I wonder if you have to do preregistration at those places to guarantee that the insurance company doesn't try to pull a fast on one you at the last second after promising you can go where you want "over the phone". I get EVERYTHING in writing. That way companies can't get away with stuff like this. Grrrr...
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

• Melissa
                It was good to hear from you. Hopefully all will be better for you no matter where you go to rehab. I know some are better then others,but you have been in rehab before and the good thing is yoy know what to do. Experience does help with that. Get well and stay strong. I know it is har
                Jackied to deal with one more thing,but sometimes a new person can look at things with a new take on the whole picture!
                T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                Right scapulectomy 6/15
                Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                Broken neck 9/28/2018
                Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                Osteotomy

Comment

• just spoke to Melissa...
                  she is in rehab...but said it isn't like a true rehab that is in
                  any way really helpful to her needs...
                  so she is leaving tonite and going home...
                  she said she is VERY happy with the results of this surgery...feels
                  she has more mobility than she had before this operation...
                  Melissa also said her pain is manageable as long as she is on schedule
                  with the pain meds...
                  i will be calling her again to see how she is doing at home...

jess

Comment

• Thanks for the update, Jess.
                    I think I would opt for home, too, if the facility was no help. People tend to heal better in their own familiar environments anyway. Hopefully her family can be more helpful than the "rehab facility". I'm also glad to hear that her pain is finally under control and that she is thus far happy with her surgery.

(((gentle hugs))) Melissa!
                    Be happy!
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

• Thanks Jess. Great news!

Melissa, I'm so happy that you're happy with the surgery!
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Ditto!! :-)
                        age 48
                        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Thanks to you all for the very supportive messages that I received from you.

I do not know if I thanked Jessica so I will give her big thanks anyway becasue she was wonderful

I am home , in reality it was Thursday night.

I left the place because it is a nursing home, nothing else. There is no rehab area . You get 2 20 minutes segments a time of rehab.

When I left last evening , it was against medical advice. We were told that means we cannot leave with scripts or any requests for PT,OT, or home nursing care.

I did not care as I had to leave. The evening before, an resident screamed all night. In the morning, my roommate and myself both asked if she could be moved. We were told no as she is a lifelong resident and we are only there for a few days. So I just had to leave as I know I would have killed someone if shse had screamed again all night.

Monday at 8:30am, I had an appt with my PCP and she will take care of all of my needs.

I am concerned because my feet are still very swollen and they hurt alot thereby preventing me from walking, which is really the only exercise that I can do.

I still have not had a BM since June 2nd on my own. All of them that I had in the hospital were from the ennemas that they gave me.

I have pain in my gut , which seems to be the same pain as my ulcer.

Several times , during my hospital stay, I had blood in my urine.

Finally, I am still hallucinating . I cannot remember things such as my parents being dead. I am better off than during my hospital stay when I thought that my husband moved me to a different hospital . He drove me there in the middle of the night. It looked like a house to me . I was really out of it. I am told that this is happening because of the anesthesia.

Finally , I am very pleased of the surgical outcome. I have much better range of motion than I did before. Also, much less pain when I use my neck to look at things

Thanks again for your good words and blessings
                          Melissa
                          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Melissa,
                            What an ordeal you have been through! I would not want to stay in a nursing home, either. I don't blame you for leaving. I've worked in those places and I know what kind of "care" people get when they are there. They are always short staffed and smell of urine and feces. That's no place to recover. I'm shocked that they would even send surgical patients to those places. Staff hygiene isn't the best from my experience. Of course, you have your better ones. I've never worked in a really bad one. I got hired on at one once, but never went in. Honestly, I couldn't even stomach the place and am glad I never actually had to work in that environment, let alone try to recover from a surgery there!

I hope you continue to get better and better.

(((gentle hugs)))
                            Be happy!
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

• Hi Malissa, Just want to say "good luck" now that you're at home. What an ordeal you had to go through! The thought of being in a nursing home is just awful. I have "night terrors" when given morphine. So they have to give me diladid instead. Just wish you the best! Linda
                              Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                              Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                              This started adult onset scoliosis
                              July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                              Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                              Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                              May 30th 2013 revision
                              May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                              May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

• you are welcome, Melissa.

i hope your PCP can offer you some help with the digestive issues...
                                and maybe she can do something to figure out why you had blood
                                in your urine...

i hope your spine feels better every day...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Working...
                                X