• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know the feeling, to actually to make it back
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Well, I went today for my second and final spinal cord stimulator trial. The Dr was not able to do it. She could not get through my back, even after discussing it with Dr Bederman. So now I will be going into the OR to have it done. There is a risk that that it will not work but I need to try.
      However, the good news is that Dr Bederman is coming back to Southern CA in April. That means I can have surgery in May.
      Melissa

Comment

• Tell me about the spinal cord stimulator. What does it do and how is it inserted?
        Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
          Well, I went today for my second and final spinal cord stimulator trial. The Dr was not able to do it. She could not get through my back, even after discussing it with Dr Bederman. So now I will be going into the OR to have it done. There is a risk that that it will not work but I need to try.
          However, the good news is that Dr Bederman is coming back to Southern CA in April. That means I can have surgery in May.
          I've heard you can't get these if you are fused all the way down. You have two choices if they can break through the fusion mass. I met someone with a spinal cord stimulator. He said his legs and toes tingle ALL of the time, but he seemed happy enough with it at the time. I couldn't talk long with him because it was at his mom's funeral. I'm friends with his brother. The other choice is an intrathecal morphine pump. The morphine levels stay really low in your blood, but kill the pain at the spinal cord level. I've never talked to anyone who's had one of those so don't know how well they work.

I wish you all the best and hope it's successful for you. Tingling is better than pain!
          Rohrer01
          Last edited by rohrer01; 03-14-2016, 11:18 PM.
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by susancook View Post
            Tell me about the spinal cord stimulator. What does it do and how is it inserted?
            Susan
            Susan,
            They insert an electrode along the spine that gives a mild electrical current to the spinal cord to fuzzy up the signals to your brain. It's like a TENS unit only on your spinal cord. I'm not sure if they go through the dura or not. With the intrathecal pump they do and that always carries a risk.
            Be happy!
            but we are alive today!

Comment

• I spoke to Dr Bederman and he will do the surgery for me in May.
              I am willing to take the risk of tingling. It is better than pain
              Melissa

Comment

• I have decided not to have the spinal cord stimulator surgery done.

I have fallen , however, and have broken my knee cap
                Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                  I spoke to Dr Bederman and he will do the surgery for me in May.
                  I am willing to take the risk of tingling. It is better than pain
                  Melissa,
                  If they can get a spinal cord stimulator in past your fusion, there is another option. They have a morphine pump that bathes the spinal cord with morphine and eliminates/reduces pain. If my next set of injections don't work I'm going to bring that up again. They talked about it with me. It would eliminate my need for narcotics and very miniscule amounts of morphine ever make it into the blood stream. The only thing is, it's a last option kind of thing and no surgery on that area (supposedly). That's the qualifier that made me deny it, not ever being able to have surgery on that area when I know my disc is bulging.

I wonder if that would be an option for you? You are certainly done having surgery on your spine (hopefully) since you are fused top to bottom, literally! It's just something you can ask Dr. Bederman.

Take Care,
                  Rohrer01
                  Be happy!
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

• Thanks for the information

Interesting

Melissa
                    Melissa

Comment

• Well, it has been a long time. This month, it has been five years since Dr. Bederman did his 15-hour surgery. The road has been long and hard, but my life is okay. DrBederman is very impressed with me and what I can do. He did not think that I would be able to accomplish what I can do in life. I thank God for finding him.
                      Melissa

Comment

• Melissa

It has been a long time.....

I have to say that you really are the Muhammad Ali of the forum....to go through what you went through, to go into as many scoliosis surgeries as you did, so brave, almost like Ali doing his rope a dope style in all those fights,(if you remember) and come through winning, saying your life is ok, is one of the most meaningful posts on this forum.....You are one tough lady. You are lucky to have found a surgeon of Dr Bederman’s caliber.

We are all fighters you know....but you have done your rounds.

We will hand you the torch...the flame of hope

Ed
                        Last edited by titaniumed; 07-01-2016, 07:39 PM.
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Melissa,
                          I was happy to read that you are doing okay, especially after all that you gave been through.
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Thanks so much for your words. When life is tough, I can read them and they will help me.
                            Melissa

Comment

• Hi Melissa,

Glad to hear you're doing ok. I haven't been to the forum for a while but I do think of you and hope things are ok for you. Ed's right, you are our Mohammed Ali, and I hope you'll always keep us up to date. I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing the best for you after having endured so much. Take care!

Jen
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Injured Knee cap~~

Hi Melissa,
                                I have a new problem added to my already broken rods. I damaged my knee cap from a fall. I haven't had it xrayed, as I kept thinking it would get better( it happened a month ago.) But it is still paining me and is swollen around the knee cap. I have an appt. next week to get it looked at. I was wondering how your knee is doing and what you did for treatmeant? I am still healing from my neck surgery, and have four fractures in my rods (my lower spine) So I was sick about this new development! Darn~ pain on top of pain. I hope you are doing alright Melissa. My knees have always been good until now!! Trying to stay positive . Linda
                                Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                                Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                                This started adult onset scoliosis
                                July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                                Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                                Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                                May 30th 2013 revision
                                May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                                May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Working...
                                X