No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well,my knee saga is over. This doctor does not k feeli that I need a knee replacement. He does not feel that it will help my pain. He does not know what is causing my knee pain. He said with all that my body has been though, the pain could be coming from my back or my hip. So unless the spinal cord stimulator helps with the pain, there will be no pain relief for me
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• I broke 3 ribs from falling out of bed and my SI Joints hurt so much.

I hope that nothing has broke down there

Melissa
      Melissa

Comment

• OH NO!!

After all you've been through...I just hope the damage is confined to the ribs. Let us know, Melissa.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• knee pain

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
          Well,my knee saga is over. This doctor does not k feeli that I need a knee replacement. He does not feel that it will help my pain. He does not know what is causing my knee pain. He said with all that my body has been though, the pain could be coming from my back or my hip. So unless the spinal cord stimulator helps with the pain, there will be no pain relief for me
          Melissa:

I saw seven knee doctors over a four year period for my increasing knee pain. Until doctor number seven, they all said that I had chrondomalacia (pre-arthritis) and that either there was not enough wrong to operate, or that "they knew of no surgery that would help me." The MRI showed "mild to moderate fissuring" and a bunch of other "moderate" stuff. I was told this over and over, the whole time I was wondering how I could get fused to the sacrum with my knees being so bad. Then about a month ago the stiffness in my knees started. It was agony to try to stand up, or get up from the toilet. I myself requested an MRI from my general practitioner. It had been nine months since my last MRI. The report came back totally different from the previous one. Now, everything was "moderate to severe" or "severe." I took myself off to two more knee doctors. The first said he "knew of no surgery that would help me." The second did some more X rays; lateral ones when I was laying down and he also looked at the MRI. Then, he told me that I needed full knee replacements in both knees and that he could see bone on bone in the MRI. It blows my mind that the day before that knee doctor had said nothing would help me. Anyway, this Friday I am having arthroscopic knee surgery. Hopefully this will help. If not, I'm getting a knee replacement first before being fused to the sacrum. Best of luck to you!
          1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
          2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
          3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
          4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
          I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Comment

• Melissa,

please please no more falling! I hope you feel better today.

Tableone,

Best of luck with your upcoming knee arthroscopy and possible knee replacement. Knee problems are just so difficult…my husband (who is only 48) has end-stage knee arthritis in both knees and wears bilat articulated knee braces to help with pain and stability. He is really too young for replacements due to the inevitable need for future revisions, so for now he suffers greatly. I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.

Please let us know how you go with your surgery. I hope you get the relief you need.
            Last edited by leahdragonfly; 08-19-2015, 10:28 AM.
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Melissa, it just seems so awful that you keep having such bad luck! Do you have Dexa scans? Just to check for osteoporosis? You seem too young for that, but your history just makes me wonder. And maybe you
              have already mentioned the fact that you have osteoporosis in a post that I missed. Just curious. Hope you don't have it, but some of your problems made me wonder. I.feel so bad for you. Sending you healing prayer ~~ Linda
              Last edited by babyboomer16; 08-26-2015, 09:42 AM.
              Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
              Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
              This started adult onset scoliosis
              July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
              Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
              Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
              May 30th 2013 revision
              May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
              May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
                Melissa, it just seems so awful that you keep having such bad luck! Do you have Dexa scans? Just to check for osteoporosis? You seem too young for that, but your history just makes me wonder. And maybe you
                have already mentioned the fact that you have osteoporosis in a post that I missed. Just curious. Hope you don't have it, but some of your problems made me wonder. I.feel so bad for you. Sending you healing prayer ~~ Linda
                I have had Dexa scans. I have osteoporosis. Life is what you make of it. I am waiting for next Wednesday and hopefully some good news from pain management.

I just got back from NC and a great visit with my granddaughter.

Thanks for asking
                Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                  I have had Dexa scans. I have osteoporosis. Life is what you make of it. I am waiting for next Wednesday and hopefully some good news from pain management.

I just got back from NC and a great visit with my granddaughter.

Thanks for asking
                  The one thing I do know for sure, is that grandkids are a blessing that can brighten up a any day! Glad you got to have a great visit with you granddaughters! And your right- life is what you make of it~~ but hope you don't have anymore broken anything! 👍🏻
                  Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                  Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                  This started adult onset scoliosis
                  July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                  Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                  Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                  May 30th 2013 revision
                  May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                  May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

• I am leaving soon to go to Pain management to discuss what my doctor and dr Bederman figured out for my spinal cord simulator. I will let you all know later today. Thanks for the good wishes

Melissa
                    Melissa

Comment

• Well, the trip to Pain Management was a bust. The Doctor had spoken had to Dr Bederman. However, she had not yet gotten to talk to the Doctor that Dr Bederman wants to help her .
                      Melissa

Comment

• Does this mean she needs more time?
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Yes she says that she is going to get with this other doctor sometime this month to discuss my spine
                          Melissa

Comment

• A question/thought about your knee pain. Could it possibly be from your oleotibial muscle? There is an ilio tibial band syndrome which can cause horrible knee pain and is apparently common with scoli patients (what I was told. It happened to me and the knee pain didn't decrease at all until that was dealt with. Maybe worth asking about.
                            T4-Sacrum fusion, with pelvic fixation in January 2015, Dr. Lonner in NYC
                            10 osteotomies, rotation from 25 to 2
                            Diagnosed at age 11 with double curve, 36 and 45 degrees, Braced for 2.5 years
                            At time of surgery, curves were 45 and 65 degrees
                            Chronic back pain, worsening, since age 11
                            Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
                            Mom of 2 cuties!

Comment

• Originally posted by ksmom0611 View Post
                              A question/thought about your knee pain. Could it possibly be from your oleotibial muscle? There is an ilio tibial band syndrome which can cause horrible knee pain and is apparently common with scoli patients (what I was told. It happened to me and the knee pain didn't decrease at all until that was dealt with. Maybe worth asking about.
                              Thanks I will look into it.
                              Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by ksmom0611 View Post
                                A question/thought about your knee pain. Could it possibly be from your oleotibial muscle? There is an ilio tibial band syndrome which can cause horrible knee pain and is apparently common with scoli patients (what I was told. It happened to me and the knee pain didn't decrease at all until that was dealt with. Maybe worth asking about.
                                what did they do for that muscle? I'll have check out where that muscle is. I have chondromalacia

Comment

Working...
                                X