No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My surgery has been changed to November 7 , one day earlier. I have to get an appt for the mylegram scheduled.
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Two weeks, I hope they go by quickly Melissa. How's your pain at the moment?
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
        Two weeks, I hope they go by quickly Melissa. How's your pain at the moment?
        My pain is not good. I was in and out of the car all day looking for houses

Thanks for asking
        Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,
          Haven't been on for a while--are you moving before surgery?? Glad to hear the change for surgery was in the right direction. Try to stay positive and look forward to relief! Certainly thinking of you. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doodles View Post
            Melissa,
            Haven't been on for a while--are you moving before surgery?? Glad to hear the change for surgery was in the right direction. Try to stay positive and look forward to relief! Certainly thinking of you. Janet
            Thank Janet . No I have moved from NC to CA in June. We are now renting but YEA!!!! we finally sold our home in NC so now we are looking to buy here. It was a depressing weekend but I am sure that the prefect house will turn up
            Melissa

Comment

• Melissa--
              I had forgotten you were just new to CA. Glad the old house sold and you can find something you really like. How's the pain going this last few days? Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                Melissa--
                I had forgotten you were just new to CA. Glad the old house sold and you can find something you really like. How's the pain going this last few days? Janet
                The pain is not good. Thanks for asking .Just trying to get thru each day. I have so much stress in my life. We just purchased a 2011 Kia Soul because I can get
                into it without bending my neck. The check engine light went on. I had to take it to the dealer this morning. I had to wait three hours and found out that the
                catalytic converter is not working. I am glad that it is under warranty as it is $1000 part. Still waiting to hear when the mylegram appt will be
                Melissa

Comment

• Hi Melissa...

While it sounds like you still have pain issues, I think you actually may be improving and just not be aware of it (or afraid to jynx it If you can be out and running errands, it sounds like you're better than you were a few weeks ago. Hang in there. The progress can be frustratingly slow.

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    Hi Melissa...

While it sounds like you still have pain issues, I think you actually may be improving and just not be aware of it (or afraid to jynx it If you can be out and running errands, it sounds like you're better than you were a few weeks ago. Hang in there. The progress can be frustratingly slow.

Regards,
                    Linda
                    I am doing what I have to do. We need to find a house to buy before our lease is up. I am paying for it big time however as my pain right now is so bad that I can sleep at all and got up at 5am
                    Melissa

Comment

• Well, I finally got the mylegram appt. I am going Monday October 31.It is the same day as the pre-op so that works out well
                      Melissa

Comment

• Well I had such a wonderful afternoon. About 2 weeks ago, I chipped a tooth . I went to the dentist and found out that I needed a crown . With my insurance,
                        the cost is $ 523.I spent over 90 minutes sitting in the dental chair. I was in so much pain when I tried to get out of the chair. Then since my face was numb , I
                        bit my check and lip and so it hurts so much. Life just keeps getting for me. Monday I have the myleogram and preop. Next Thursday I have to go back for her
                        to finish. Thanks for listening
                        Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,
                          You've sure had more than your share of problems. Make sure to take antibiotics before going back to the dentist. I just had my teeth cleaned and had to take 4 amoxicillin 1 hour before my appointment.
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                            Melissa,
                            You've sure had more than your share of problems. Make sure to take antibiotics before going back to the dentist. I just had my teeth cleaned and had to take 4 amoxicillin 1 hour before my appointment.

Why do you need to take antibiotics before dental appt?
                            Last edited by mabeckoff; 10-28-2011, 03:18 PM.
                            Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,
                              My printout from Dr. Lenke's office following surgery had the following information:

"Anyone who has had spine instrumentation implanted is at risk for developing an infection around the instrumentation from bacteria in the bloodstream. Antibiotics should be taken prior to any surgical procedures or invasive testing. You should always tell your dentist or any physician that you have instrumentation in your spine. An effective method of reducing the risk of infection is to take a prophylactic broad spectrum antibiotic such as Amoxicillin or Clindamycin. If you are having any dental work (routine cleanings, filling cavities, root canal, etc.) you must take an antibiotic prior to having the work done for the first two years after surgery."
                              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                              Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Age-60 at the time of surgery
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                                Melissa,
                                My printout from Dr. Lenke's office following surgery had the following information:

"Anyone who has had spine instrumentation implanted is at risk for developing an infection around the instrumentation from bacteria in the bloodstream. Antibiotics should be taken prior to any surgical procedures or invasive testing. You should always tell your dentist or any physician that you have instrumentation in your spine. An effective method of reducing the risk of infection is to take a prophylactic broad spectrum antibiotic such as Amoxicillin or Clindamycin. If you are having any dental work (routine cleanings, filling cavities, root canal, etc.) you must take an antibiotic prior to having the work done for the first two years after surgery."
                                While at a recent teeth cleaning appointment, I mentioned to my dentist I will be having spinal surgery. He said the same thing mentioned in Karen's post.

Warmly,
                                Doreen
                                44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                                Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                                2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X