No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What caused the dizziness, Melissa - medication? No more falling please!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• I saw both my hip surgeon and Dr Bederman today. I am healing very well. Dr Bederman had a idea about my headache . He wants me to have a MRI done to see if I have a spinal fluid leak.

My right knee is very bad however. It is bone on bone and hurts me to walk. I will have to decide what I will be having done next

Melissq
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Do you remember the show "The Bionic Man"? Only his artificial prostheses only cost $1,000,000. That was a LOT of money back then. Heck, I'd like to have it now, but I know it still wouldn't go very far. At least not like 40 years ago!
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

• I feel like the Bionic man , only prices have gone up since then

Melissa
          Melissa

Comment

• Melissa--
            I just checked in here after a few weeks and was so excited to see you were back! I think of you so often and was hoping things were going better. It sounds like you've had a lot of difficult challenges to say the least. I hope things can get better for you and make 2014 better than the last. New baby is absolutely adorable. Congrats. We have #4 coming we just found out and each time just gets better. (Whoops I wasn't supposed to tell yet--so everyone keep quiet!) Welcome back!! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doodles View Post
              Melissa--
              I just checked in here after a few weeks and was so excited to see you were back! I think of you so often and was hoping things were going better. It sounds like you've had a lot of difficult challenges to say the least. I hope things can get better for you and make 2014 better than the last. New baby is absolutely adorable. Congrats. We have #4 coming we just found out and each time just gets better. (Whoops I wasn't supposed to tell yet--so everyone keep quiet!) Welcome back!! Janet
              Ha ha ha, Janet! That reminds me of when my hubby and I got married. We eloped and told the kids NOT to tell anyone until we had a chance to do so. The first day back at school was show-and-tell day. My youngest was in 3rd grade and was SO EXCITED to have a "daddy that loves me"... his words. So he just had to "show-and-tell" that he got a new daddy. Then he remembered he wasn't supposed to tell. So he told the class, "I'm not supposed to tell anyone, yet, so don't say anything to anyone!" When the little guy got home from school he said, "Mommy! I had show-and-tell today. I told them I got a new daddy! But, don't worry, I told them not to tell anyone." LOL Of course, I got a call from the teacher and had to go in and explain that we had eloped and just hadn't announced it to our friends, yet.

That's one of the cutest, most innocent, and funny memories. I'll cherish it forever!
              Be happy!
              but we are alive today!

Comment

• That's a great story!
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• That is a great memory. It reminds me of one of the reasons I enjoyed teaching kindergarten for so many years. They are so sweet and innocent (well, most are).
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                    I feel like the Bionic man , only prices have gone up since then

Melissa
                    The bionic man was the “Six Million Dollar Man”
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Six_Million_Dollar_Man

Melissa, If anyone is close here, it would be you..Your totals must be pretty high by now....

I have a friend who had a $2 million liver transplant done 5 years ago.....

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post

Melissa, If anyone is close here, it would be you..Your totals must be pretty high by now....

Ed

I cannot imagine what my insurance company has paid out. Each of my hip surgeries last year were between $250,000 and $300,000.

I do not remember what my spine surgeries cost
                      Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post

Ed
                        Oh, yes! How could I forget that!!?? It goes to show you how long it's been since I've watched that show. The metallic noises and everything in slow motion as he did some humanly impossible "rescue". Yep, leave it to Ed to spot that one. Ed, you should be on Jeopardy!

Oh, and if there's ANYONE on here that has a sum total of $6,000,000 worth of surgeries and hospitalizations, it's Melissa! I concur with Ed on that one.

Ed, I'm sure your friend's insurance coverage maxed out. I don't know what a person would do after something like that. Most insurance policies have/had (prior to "Obamacare") a 2 million dollar lifetime maximum. What is a person supposed to do after that? Just die?!
                        Last edited by rohrer01; 03-21-2014, 12:15 PM.
                        Be happy!
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

• Thanks everyone for your good wishes welcoming me back

Melissa
                          Melissa

Comment

• hey Melissa
                            been so very long...
                            you kindly welcomed me when i was only away from forum for a week or two, trip to southern CA, etc...so if 2 weeks merits a "welcome
                            back," then the time you have been away merits a super duper one...
                            so "super duper welcome back!"

i hope they are closely monitoring your meds...and that the dizziness was not caused by that...
                            i also hope and pray there is no leak of anything in your brain...
                            except for ideas maybe...but nothing leaking that shouldn't be there...maybe they can speed up that MRI order...

please feel better...and be careful...
                            hugs and woofs...
                            jess...and Sparky

Comment

• I need some opinions. I am scheduled to fly to NJ April 6th. My brother has been suing me since 2006 and it appears that the trial will finally happen. I am not well ,however. These are my problems; a headache for the past 5-6 weeks, stomach pain same amount of time, vomiting now , at least, once a day. SHould I take care of my health and go into the hospital so I can be looked at or should I wait until I return from NJ?

Thanks for your opinions

Melissa
                              Melissa

Comment

• i would strongly suggest you go into hospital...your doctor
                                can send an e mail to the court and tell them why you cannot travel...
                                the pain and vomiting sound like a warning....best to listen to it...
                                hope you feel better

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Working...
                                X