Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collapsed Shoulder?

Hi everyone.

My son had surgery Dec 22, 2010. Since his surgery we noticed his left shoulder, which used to be higher before surgery, was now lower than the right. The only way I can describe it is that his good shoulder is at the corner of his collar bone and arm. His left (collapsed?-not sure if that is the best word to use) shoulder doesn't seem to exist.

We did ask the dr. at his follow ups and were told it could just be a part of the "side effects" of surgery. I'm concerned because it seems to be getting worse. Yesterday we were trying to get him to stand up straight but the only thing that brought his shoulder even with the other one was when he lifted his shoulder and moved it back. It's almost as if it's sitting in front of the socket, which I know makes no sense. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Angie Romero, Mom to Alex, Dominic & Marissa.
    Alex was fused from T2-L2 at the age of 12 on Dec 22, 2010
    By Dr. Hanson at Texas Children's Hospital

Originally posted by ARodsMom View Post
    Hi everyone.

My son had surgery Dec 22, 2010. Since his surgery we noticed his left shoulder, which used to be higher before surgery, was now lower than the right. The only way I can describe it is that his good shoulder is at the corner of his collar bone and arm. His left (collapsed?-not sure if that is the best word to use) shoulder doesn't seem to exist.

We did ask the dr. at his follow ups and were told it could just be a part of the "side effects" of surgery. I'm concerned because it seems to be getting worse. Yesterday we were trying to get him to stand up straight but the only thing that brought his shoulder even with the other one was when he lifted his shoulder and moved it back. It's almost as if it's sitting in front of the socket, which I know makes no sense. Has anyone else had this problem?
    I've never seen or heard anything like what you're describing. I would strongly recommend that you get another opinion. Where are you located?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

We are in Houston. His surgery was done by Dr. Hanson at Texas Children's Hospital.

My son even has a roll of skin between his under arm and his chest, but when we were able to get him to put his shoulder back in the right position that roll went away. He's already a little self conscious about that big scar down his back, I'd just really hate for him to have something else to add to his regular teenage insecurities.
      Angie Romero, Mom to Alex, Dominic & Marissa.
      Alex was fused from T2-L2 at the age of 12 on Dec 22, 2010
      By Dr. Hanson at Texas Children's Hospital

Comment

My son's situation sounds similar in some ways: His shoulders still look uneven, unless he consciously adjusts his posture. He definitely did not get the "perfect" posture that so many people seem to get as one of the benefits of the surgery. When he works out by swimming a lot and especially when he has time to frequently (twice a week) go to the gym and work with weights and do stretches, his posture does improve though. Being in a marching band has also helped and he had very gentle chiropractic treatments (no jerking, tugging, pulling - only vibrating machines on his back) and massages in the past to help a little. I think the working out has been the most helpful of all.

He really has to be conscious of how he's holding himself because his most comfortable posture seems to be leaning a little forward with a slight tilt to the left and his shoulders a bit uneven.

I'd get a second opinion though, if you're thinking the surgeon isn't responsive.

Best,
        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
        X