Chairs, couches and mattresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chairs, couches and mattresses

After surgery what is the best type of chairs or couch and mattress? Is there something that is more functional than others.

Everyone is different, and it's hard to know what will feel good after surgery. After my initial surgeries 20 years ago, I could sit in a firm chair fairly comfortably. After my January 2011 surgeries, I was unable to sit comfortably in a firm chair for about 4 months, but I found my recliner to be very comfortable. I think your best strategy is to wait until you start your recovery to try to figure it all out.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Our recliner was my best friend for quite a while after surgery! We had just bought one after my grandma had a triple bypass (or something like that). It was nice because when I started feeling restless from being in one position for a while, I could just lie back without having to get up. I tried sitting on a couch, and it was really hard to get back up, but I guess it depends on how much your couch sinks in. That's about all I can say about this subject. : )
      Katie

My blog: http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/
      My video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG9hMohsU0

5 Boston back braces
      Spinal fusion- Nov. 17, 2009, senior year of high school
      52 and 57 degrees pre-surgery, 22 and 20 degrees post-surgery
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Shriners Children's Hospital, Chicago
      Back into volleyball and music as a senior in college!

Comment

I found it difficult to get up from chairs/couches/beds that were lower. The surgery left my legs pretty weak. Fortunately we had bought a new couch just before my surgery with about a 20" seat height and our bed is about that height also. That made it much easier to get seated and up and down. At the dining room table I used the "captain's chair" type chair, with the arms to it, because then you could push up and that made it much easier to get up. That is why raised toilet seats with arms are very helpful. They issued me one in the hospital.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Everyone sure is different.

After my surgery, I could only sit in firm chairs with straight backs, and I'd put a pillow behind my back. If I sat in a soft type chair (or even sofa) it was HORRIBLE. You'll figure out what works best for you.

After maybe 6 months, I could sit anywhere, although I did drag a little back pillow around with me for almost a year EVERYWHERE.

Now, no back pillow is required and I can sit anywhere.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
          X