Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prayer Request for Aug 24 Appt

Hi Everyone,

I meet with an endocrinologist Aug 24 who will prescribe some sort of medication to increase bone density. Please pray that God provides the right medication and that my body responds positively to it.

While my physical limitations are increasing (no longer able to do household tasks, cannot lift the laundry basket, uncomfortable riding in car, ribs continue to compress into lungs and pelvis, etc.), I do have some great improvements such as increasing my yoga stretches, remain diligent to daily exercises, and my growing faith in God's plan for my journey. Jeremy (hubby) and Lizzie (daughter) have been extremely helpful. Lizzie learned how to hook me up to the tens unit.

We did a weekend yard project and I felt kind of useless just standing there watching Jeremy and Lizzie do all the work. I was a productive team member by fetching glasses of water! Jeremy took a shovel and was stabbing it into a bag of mulch to split it open. Lizzie said, "Hey Mom, is that what your surgeon is going to do to you?" We all laughed and I said, "Hopefully, he won't use a shovel." It felt really good to laugh.

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

I hope everything goes well, so you can get all this behind you! Praying for you and your appointment!
    Katie

My blog: http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/
    My video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG9hMohsU0

5 Boston back braces
    Spinal fusion- Nov. 17, 2009, senior year of high school
    52 and 57 degrees pre-surgery, 22 and 20 degrees post-surgery
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Shriners Children's Hospital, Chicago
    Back into volleyball and music as a senior in college!

Comment

good luck on the 24th
      Kara
      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
      T4-L2
      Before 50T
      After 20T

Comment

good luck!

Good luck, Doreen, I will be thinking to you on wednesday! Hope there will be a solution!
        Bamboo

Diagnosed age 17 in 1975
        no treatment
        Never knew I would need any follow-up
        Now 53 years old
        Curves in late 2010 Lumbar 70, Thoracic 65
        Has been fused T2 to L4 on september 22th 2011
        Dr. Stefan Parent, Hôpital Sacré-Coeur, Montréal

Comment

just said a prayer for you, and will continue to keep you in them! many blessings,
          Rebecca
          Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
          wore night bending brace as teenager
          Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
          herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
          fusion L2-3 November 2008
          Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
          Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
          Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
          gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
          Before and After X-rays
          My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Doreen,
            This truly is a journey for you and God will see you through it all. I pray that the Doctor will find the best medication for you and that your body responds. I am curious. Does the tens unit actually help with your pain?
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

my thoughts and prayers are with you!
              30 y.o female, very active, considering surgery
              08/03/11 - 54 degrees
              06/2004 - 33 degrees
              Don't like hospitals

Comment

Thank you so much for keeping me in your prayers, everyone.

Sally, the tens unit does help me with my pain, but it is short-lived relief. When I'm using the tens, I lay on a moist heating pad because that is what they do at PT.

Warmly,
                Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

We'll all think positive thoughts and send you positive vibes.

Comment

Best of luck to you!!!! I will be thinking of you tomorrow...
                    Jenee'-52
                    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                    9 hours
                    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                    Non-fusion
                    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

We have you on our prayer list. I will be thinking of you tomorrow. All things will work for your good and when you get the peace you know it's the right direction.

Comment

You will be in my thoughts and prayers as well!!!

Shari

Comment

Thank you so very much for the prayers! I had a great meeting with the endocrinologist today. He said I am very healthy but have a bad gene which caused the degenerative issue in a few of my disks. He explained that my bone density is completely normal except for the few disks in my lumbar area. I have a plan A and two Plan B's.

Plan A: Doc prescribed Forteo; however, we do not know if my insurance will pay for it or not. If it is not covered, the monthly cost is $1k and the full treatment cycle is 24 months (daily injections for 2 years). Doc said sometimes the insurance companies only approve one month. Doc also said if coverage is denied he will fight the insurance company on my behalf. He said that since I am .01 less than the osteoporosis range, the insurance company might try to deny it. He explained that if that happens, he will show them a breakdown of each disk to show that I have a couple of disks that are well into the osteoporosis range. The bone density results take the average of the measurements and this average measurement is where I'm .01 less than osteoporosis. I will know within 48 hours what my insurance decision is.

Plan B: If Forteo is completely denied, there are two other medications that work, but not as fast. These other medications do not require special approval like the Forteo does so they won't be denied by my insurance.

The doctor said it is really good that I'm seeing Dr. Lenke for a second opinion. He knows Dr. Lenke and Dr. Bridwell because they worked at Washington University in St. Louis for 18 years. He said I have great muscle definition and that the yoga is doing great for my body and to keep it up. I asked what happens to the new bone that forms at the end of the 2 year Forteo cycle. He it goes away very quickly but there are meds that will maintain the new bone.

Tick tock, waiting for the call from the insurance company.

Warmly,
                          Doreen

Comment

[QUOTE=Doreen1;124191]

Plan A: Doc prescribed Forteo; however, we do not know if my insurance will pay for it or not. If it is not covered, the monthly cost is $1k and the full treatment cycle is 24 months (daily injections for 2 years). Doc said sometimes the insurance companies only approve one month. Doc also said if coverage is denied he will fight the insurance company on my behalf. He said that since I am .01 less than the osteoporosis range, the insurance company might try to deny it. He explained that if that happens, he will show them a breakdown of each disk to show that I have a couple of disks that are well into the osteoporosis range. The bone density results take the average of the measurements and this average measurement is where I'm .01 less than osteoporosis. I will know within 48 hours what my insurance decision is.

I have a question. If Forteo is approved , will you have to wait 24 months for surgery?

Melissa
                            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Great question, Melissa. No, I do not have to wait until the end of the 2 year Forteo cycle for surgery. If Dr. Lenke is comfortable with my condition when we meet next month, and if I am on some sort of bone med, he may decide to do surgery sooner than later. Endocrinologist said if surgery is scheduled during a bone med cycle, I might have to temporarily postpone injections (or pills) right before the surgery.

How are you feeling? I was happy to read about your earring blog.

Warmly,
                              Doreen

Comment

Working...
                              X