Hip pain...any treatments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip pain...any treatments?

Does anyone know of a treatment for scoliosis related hip pain? i have 70/35 curves and although physical therapy has greatly lessened my back pain, I seem to have increasing hip pain that is really bothersome. Anyone else had successful treatment for this besides surgery?
    Pam, age 49
    Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
    April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
    T-3 to sacrum

hi Twinmom
    i do not know which part of your spine is causing the worst of your pain...
    i have been experimenting with different types of injections for several years now...
    the only ones that have helped my hip pain, which in my case is largely from herniated discs, plus from my curves (T42, L61 last checked) have been sacroiliac joint injections...
    it makes no sense as to why those shots help my lower back/hip pain, when epidural shots, facet blocks, nerve ablation, trigger point injections, botox in lower spine, and other shots didn't help me....it doesn't make sense because the SI joints are a distance way from my curves...i do not know if the shots are helping because my hip pain is related to my disc damage (severe)...i am just SO grateful we finally found any shots that help me (besides the botox shots i get in upper spine that helps freeze upper back muscles so they cannot spasm)...SI joint shots are the only thing that have ever helped relieve the lower back and hip pain i have daily...

all i can suggest is to try working with a pain management doctor or a physiatrist to see if there are any treatments that might help you...and don't give up if the first tx doesn't help...

best of luck...
    jess

Comment

Question regarding pain management physicians: Do most require a battery of tests before treating you? or how do they diagnosis what meds are needed for your pain?
      Last edited by TwinmomTN; 08-08-2011, 05:43 PM. Reason: additional info
      Pam, age 49
      Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
      April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
      T-3 to sacrum

Comment

My experience with hip pain

I also had success with a physiotherapist for lower back pain, but had persistent hip pain. The physio couldn't pin point the cause of the hip pain and it was a daily issue for me. At the same time, I started taking tai chi. After three months of learning the basics, we were taught some 'foundation exercises'. My hip pain completely dissipated – that was six months ago. If I didn't do the exercise for a couple days, the pain came back; but then it went away again after the exercise. When I talked to my physio about it in a follow up, she suggested that the hip pain could have been nerve related if the tai chi helped. I certainly don’t think that it could help everyone with hip pain, but it might be worth a try for some?

Comment

Hip pain

Before my revision from an old fashioned 1956 scoliosis surgery my hips would hurt if I walked in a big box store. My curves at the time were 80 thoracic and 40 lumbar. Pilates exercises guided by a certified instructor actually eliminated that pain. Didn't stop the curve progression though.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

i am still getting my SI joint injections every 10-12 weeks, and it is all that is relieving my
            hip pain!

jess

Comment

Working...
            X