Recommendations for PT Post Surgery in Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for PT Post Surgery in Maryland

Hello everyone. My name is Ozo and I had surgery fused T3-L4 on 6/21 with Dr Boachie in NYC. First of all thanks to you all for all the advise, words of encouragement and thoughts you share on the forum. I have pretty much been a silent member on the forum but honestly words are not enough to express how grateful I am for this forum and the people on it. It helped me find the strenght, courage and calm I needed to go through with this surgery. Thank you !!!

To my question. I will be moving to MD this week after I see Dr Boachie for my first post op visit. I currently live alone in NJ and was only able to get a caregiver for a month so I figured I'd move to MD for a couple of months where I have family and will have someone take me to PT. Dr Boachie's office expects that I will start PT at 6 weeks post op but they are not able to advise on PT's that specialize in this type of surgery in Maryland. I know some of you on the forum have had surgery done in the Maryland area so I am hoping you can give me some ideas on physical therapists in the area that work with spinal fusion patients post op.

Thanks and look forward to your responses
    Diagnosed as a teenager
    Surgery 06/21/2011 Dr Boachie HSS
    Age 34 at time of surgery
    Pre Op : Thoracic 87; Lumbar 85
    Post Op: Thoracic 36; Lumbar 21
    Gained almost 2 inches in height !

Select Medical in Maryland

http://www.selectmedicalcorp.com/abo...r-centers.aspx

This is just a suggestion. I went to Kessler Rehab in NJ, where my daughter works as an OT. It is also called "Select Medical". If you go to the above site and type in the cities in Maryland area, it tells you how many "outpatient physical rehabilitation centers" there are in the area. I was extremely happy with Kessler Rehab/Select Medical. I am also a recent patient of Dr. Boachie and started PT at six weeks. Good luck to you. Lynn
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Ozo!! So glad to hear from you and that you've had the surgery! Let us know how your recovery is going when you feel up to it!

Have you gotten your post-op xrays and stats yet?? I know you had a very severe curve, and I'm sure your correction must be a work of art!

Anyway, I don't know any PT recommendations but when I saw you post I just had to say hi, you've been on my mind lately as I remembered you said you'd be having your surgery (if you went through with it) around the summer.

Blessings on your recovery!!
      Rebecca
      Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
      wore night bending brace as teenager
      Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
      herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
      fusion L2-3 November 2008
      Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
      Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
      Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
      gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior