Reading Hurts - Anyone Else Have This Experience - Wondering What Helps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading Hurts - Anyone Else Have This Experience - Wondering What Helps

Had fusion done back in 1977. Now the Osteoarthritis has set in. My neck is curved in the opposite direction it should be. I have pretty severe pain in my neck and shoulders and hips.

I have terrible problems reading. I can't look down at a page for more than a few minutes. I also can't hold UP a book at eye level because of the shoulder pain.

For some reason my mother seems to think that if I had an e-reader like a Kindle, it would help. I am not sure. I guess because it's rigid, instead of floppy like a book, it may help in the sense that I could prop it up.

Any thoughts? Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, have you tried an e-reader and did it help?

I haven't had that same problem, but I did find that my Kindle is much easier to hold up than a book. I've been using it a lot since my surgery in June. The main benefit for me is that it's so light. And, I'm so sorry to hear about your problems. Hope you can find some respite from it.
    Diagnosed at age 13
    Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
    Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
    Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
    Post surgery 26 degrees
    Surgeon Yu-po Lee

Comment

Kindle

I received a Kindle when I was recovering and I absolutely love it. When reading in bed, I prop it on a pillow and it does make a difference. Carrying a hard cover book became too much when commuting but the Kindle is so light, I do think you would benefit by it.
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
      X