Hip Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip Pain

I am almost a year and a half post-op and am living normal life. Overall, I feel great and can pretty much do whatever I want. I am active, do lots of walking, lap swimming and my PT exercises (most of the time.) However, I still have a lot of tenderness at the top and front of my hip and some pain from what I've been told is the ileac screw. It seemed to be getting better although I always have some of the hip tenderness. In the last week or 2 though, it seems like the pain has gotten worse. I saw my massage therapist today (who is very knowledgeable about scoli and the whole muscular/skeletal system) and he said I had really tightened up. Anyway, am trying to decide whether or not to have the screw removed. Is the pain and inflammation coming from the screw or is the inflammation the main issue and it just happens to be affecting the area where the screw is located? Obviously, I still have a significant curve on the right side where this pain is and that whole area has been stretched tremendously after 40 years of being compressed. The last time I saw my Dr., he said he could remove the screw but even he wasn't totally convinced the tenderness was from the screw. The soreness at the top of my hip is sort of a long way from the screw. Any thoughts or anyone with similar symptoms? I really don't want to do another surgery (even a minor one) esp. if the screw may not be the culprit.
    Thanks for any input!

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Top of the hip as in the pelvis? Or, is it the hip? If it's the hip, it's very likely to be trochanteric bursitis.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

If it is the top of the pelvis, it could be sacra-illiac pain.
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

hi Anne
        so sorry to hear that you have been having pain lately...

i am wondering whether Dr Lonner has suggested that you try any injections?
        i read Sally's last post...and i just wanted to tell you that the only injections that have helped my worst pain, my lumbar pain, are sacroiliac joint injections...i tried everything, and for some reason (that no doctor can figure out), SI joint injections are the ONLY ones that give me relief...85% pain relief! even the doctor who does the shots for me says that "it doesn't make sense" why SI joint injections help me, considering the way my spine is, where my curves are located, where my discs are blown, etc...
        i am so grateful that the shots are working, i do not care why or how!! i had tried every other kind of shot, block, ablation, etc...i was thrilled when the SI joint injections worked!!

just in case your problem stems from SI joints, i thought you might like to know that the shots in that area can be very helpful...

hopefully you and Dr L. will be able to figure out where your pain is coming from, what is causing it, and how to treat it, short of surgery, which as you said, might not be the answer...

hope you feel better soon...
        jess

Comment

Hi Anne,

Is the pain at the back of your body, low down on your back (I think that is where the iliac screw head would be) or is it on your side closer to the hip joint or is it at the front of your body in the groin area?

I also have tenderness and occasional pain over what I think is my iliac screwhead. My pain is located in my lower back. It starts about an inch to each side of my scar and radiates out from there about 3 inches. The tenderness/soreness is surface level, but occasionally the pain is deeper.

If I remember correctly you have already had an injection (SI?). Did that help to diagnose the problem?

I'll send you a pm also. I hope you can get some relief.
          Kathy
          46 yrs at surgery, now 50
          71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
          8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
          http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

The tenderness is definitely at the top of the hip/pelvis. It almost follows a line curving around the top of my hip. I have some soreness at the screw site as well. I did do one epidural injection last fall at the SI joint which helped a lot. It seemed to get a little better in the last few months and then has really flared up again recently. When I saw Dr. Lonner in March, he said if the injection into the SI joint helped, it's probably the screw causing the problem. Sounds like it might be time to just bite the bullet and get the screw removed. Hate to be a whiner and it's nothing like the pain I dealt with pre-op. We scoli people are pretty good at sucking it up and just moving on but maybe I should get this fixed esp. since I feel so good otherwise.

Anne in PA
            Age 58
            T4 to sacrum fusion
            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10

Comment

Anne,

Did Dr. Lonner advice you on how long to wait after your initial operation before having the iliac screws removed?

If I place the palm of my hand over the iliac screw area when I walk, I can feel a clicking in there. Like muscles/tendons/? are not moving smoothly, but kind of clicking. Don't know if this is scar tissue or what. Have you experienced anything like that?

Thanks!
              Kathy
              46 yrs at surgery, now 50
              71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
              8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
              http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Originally posted by ADMoul View Post
                The tenderness is definitely at the top of the hip/pelvis. It almost follows a line curving around the top of my hip. I have some soreness at the screw site as well. I did do one epidural injection last fall at the SI joint which helped a lot. It seemed to get a little better in the last few months and then has really flared up again recently. When I saw Dr. Lonner in March, he said if the injection into the SI joint helped, it's probably the screw causing the problem. Sounds like it might be time to just bite the bullet and get the screw removed. Hate to be a whiner and it's nothing like the pain I dealt with pre-op. We scoli people are pretty good at sucking it up and just moving on but maybe I should get this fixed esp. since I feel so good otherwise.
                Hi Anne....

There's actually about 3-4" between your hip joint and the top of the pelvis. Does your pain cover that entire area?

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda--not really. It's sore at the screw site and over the top of the iliac crest, I think it's called. I looked up symptoms of the hip bursitis you mentioned and they really didn't seem to be what I'm experiencing. Am not sure what's caused it to flare up recently. I see Dr. Lonner Aug. 1 and we'll go from there. I am hoping the screw removal procedure is as minor as he seems to indicate.
                  Thanks for your input.

Anne in PA
                  Age 58
                  T4 to sacrum fusion
                  Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10

Comment

Working...
                  X