help with sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with sleeping

I don't know if anyone else has struggled to find a comfortable sleeping position, but I can only sleep on my right side or my back.

I've tried every pillow under the sun and finally found this stupid looking "side sleeper pro" pillow at Bed Bath and Beyond last week. It's really weird looking - it looks like a boomerang of foam, to be honest - but it is MAGICAL and my neck pain has disappeared.

Just throwing out an option if, like me, you have already blown about $150 on temperpedic, down, foam, etc. pillows and still struggle to sleep through the night. I'd never seen this thing and found it while shopping for candles.
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Did you find some candles, too?

I am so glad to see you post again, lilysaidwhat. I have been wondering/worrying about you (I'm probably extra clicked into your posting since our surgeries were a day apart). . .When will your 1st day at back-to-work be? My 2nd daughter lives in NY, at 47th & 8th. . .I plan to visit her soon, but I admit that I'm a bit hesitant of taking on the NYC walking pace, though I know I'm being silly.
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Metro North was the issue, the walking was fine.

I work in midtown and start back the week of the 11th - a little less than 2 weeks. I'm only going in a day a week for the first month, working 2 days from home and will ramp up from there. I feel less worried after talking to my boss. Of course they've already changed bosses on me again - I only had the last boss for a week before they moved me again. Whatever, I am just glad to be employed.

Oh and more importantly, I totally found my candles!
      Female, age 38
      4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
      currently 64*upper/40*lower
      Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
      now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

i use such a wimpy pillow now, I used to be unable to sleep without my memory foam pillow. Now it has to be soft, and keep my head level, not prop it up.

But this thread reminded me to mention that I have been sleeping on a memory foam MATTRESS for years, and it was the best money I ever spent. I got it from wal-mart, I think online, for a king bed and it is SOOO comfy. I don't sink in or tilt or have pressure on different parts of my back.

I highly recommend it to anyone! =) Glad you're getting some better sleep!
        Rebecca
        Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
        wore night bending brace as teenager
        Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
        herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
        fusion L2-3 November 2008
        Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
        Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
        Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
        gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
        Before and After X-rays
        My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Commuting to Midtown

Hi Lilysaidwhat,
          I returned to work three months after my surgery. I commute from NJ by bus. In the beginning, I felt that everyone was walking past me (and you know we commuters can move) but I gradually caught up....almost, depending on the day. I'm in mid-town as well. What was very helpful for me on the bus is I bring a pillow (the kind that has the bubbles in them and is very slinky, fits in my tote bag) and I put in behind my back as the bus seats generally aren't that comfortable, and being fused to the sacrum, I was very uncomfortable. It might be different for you since you are not fused to the sacrum. Just thought it might help your commute. Good luck! Lynn
          Last edited by Jacque's Mom; 06-28-2011, 10:17 AM.
          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
          2000 Partial Rod Removal
          2001 Right Scapular Resection
          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
          X