Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two FAILED surgeries and don't know what to do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two FAILED surgeries and don't know what to do now?

Hi, I have posted here a few times. I have been waiting to see my surgeon in Sioux Falls, So. Dak. to remove the two pelvic screws and hooks, as they were pushing through my skin. He did remove them, and it helped with a pain issue. But my other problem is, after my last surgery, Oct20th, 2010, I was doing pretty good , and about the third month things went downhill. Well, I am still bending forward(saggital imbalance) and I have trouble walking because of it. This was my second surgery with this surgeon, the first being July 1st 2010.
    (also resulting in saggital imbalance) He said they didn't go far enough up. It was T11 to pelvic. The second surgery he went up to T3. NOW my surgeon has told me that because of my previous medical history with other issues, like a very invasive abdominal surgery done in 2009, he couldn't go through the front like he normally would, and put some cages and such in my spine. He also had a problem with my hips or pelvic area ,as 15 yrs. ago I had a lot of bone harvested from that area to fix my arm. It was 7 or 8 times they removed bone from font and back of the illiac(pelvic) bone(I think it's called that) and so it compomised putting the screws in my pelvic area. I just can't figure out why none of this was mentioned before hand. So anyway, he did all the surgery posterior. T3 to pelvic. With an osteotomy at L3.(the Oct.20th surgery,2010). He is basically just saying that's it. He can't do anymore. I am so upset. I feel like there's got to be something they can do. I am 59,and don't want to live like this the rest of my life. Do any of you think he's maybe not experienced enough to know what to do since he can't go through the front? I sent for my xrays and will send them to Linda as soon as I can.See if she can put some light on this. I also went to physical therapy in my third month, and I thought he was a bit aggresive. The surgeon sent me. I had to stop as I was getting worse. I am in pain because of the bending . Anyway, this is a real downer-I know you all understand if anyone does. I must get up now as I can't sit here too long. Best wishes to you all- and hope you're all healing ~~~boomer
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Hi Boomer...

I've been wondering about you. Sorry there hasn't been any improvement.

I had an issue with my abdominal surgery. I had 4 prior surgeries, including one that I had a problem with healing. It made the surgery more difficult, but they brought in a vascular surgeon to do the approach, and it eventually turned out fine. Even if you can't have anterior surgery, a skilled surgeon would probably figure out a way to get to the front of your spine.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I'm so sorry Boomer. I know what you mean about being 59 and not wanting to be like that for the rest of your life. At just turned 60 myself, we still have a LOT of living to do. Are you prepared to seek another opinion? Quite a few I have read of here, were left in the lurch by their surgeons who could not do any more but have found that second opinion surgeons have different ideas and approaches. Perhaps someone here could recommend a good surgeon in your area.

Best of luck, Boomer
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Unfortunately, in terms of advanced spine surgery, Boomer is in the middle of nowhere.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I have to have hope!

Thanks for the replys. I need to have some hope, and this forum helps me and gives me some, where to look for support, and new advice on where to go from here. I will let the inscisions heal for a while , then start looking into some second opinions. I will try and get the xrays to you Linda. I want to make a copy for myself. Or if I could figure out how to put it online and so you could just have it there.??? Hmmm? Not too computer savvy. But I can try.
          God Bless You! I will keep you posted! Boomer
          Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
          Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
          This started adult onset scoliosis
          July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
          Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
          Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
          May 30th 2013 revision
          May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
          May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Dear Boomer
            Im new here. I am 53 and going in for revision surgery August 17th, 2011, so I just joined. It sounds to me like you need a top surgeon, top of the line in the country. Have you considered having the surgery elsewhere, in a large city?
            I hope you find the right person to do the job.
            Take care
            Cindi

Comment

Been there, done it. My doctor, Dr. Wm. Donaldson in Pittsburgh is wonderful. I strongly suggest that you give him a try. God Bless, Krysi

Comment

Boomer
                How about trying to see Dr.Boachie at Hospital for Special Surgery in New York? Isnt it worth a try? He's one of the country's best scoliosis revision Drs.
                thanks
                Cindi

Comment

Hi Boomer,
                  I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. The emotional buildup to the surgery is huge, so much anxiety and fear, and then when the outcome isn't what is to be reasonably expected it is the ultimate case of buyer's remorse. You're right, your doctor should have let you know the limitations ahead of surgery, when that information could be useful to you.

Hang in there and get a second opinion, even if you have to travel. What about the St. Louis docs? It sounds like they're as good as it gets and they're not horribly far. And you're not far from the Twin Cities Spine Center, which I've heard is very good.

Best to you,
                  Susan

Comment

Surprise! Another 59 year old lady in a similar position!

Boomer, I am SO sorry about your present condition, but please do not give up seeking another doctor and I would DEFINITELY keep looking! I know it is SO hard to begin again with a new physician & starting all over, but you do have the strength? Honey, you are absolutely NOT alone. There are many of us out here and this forum is a God-send and I mean those exact words, God helped in this creation. It is usually when we are in our darkest hours that the Lord will send those little rays of light to remind us that HE is still there and will put us on the right path. Forgive me if you are not a Christian, but because I am, HE is my strength! I know by now all of us have come to realize that we need someone bigger than ourselves to lean on & for me, that is God.

Boomer, we are in similar shoes because we are the same age and are both bent after having had multiple surgeries. I live in the Tampa Bay (Florida) area, so I do not live close enough to seek the help of the great surgeons who have been mentioned here several times. But if you are close enough to go to any of the surgeons mentioned, do it! None of this is your fault and at the same time, do not give up, resigning yourself to be in a wheelchair and bent over forever. Now, should it come to that after you have exhausted all possible outcomes, that is a different thing. I don't know if you are married or have a good support system, but I thought prior to your email that perhaps I should just accept that I will be bent over for the rest of my natural life, but I realize that if I think YOU shouldn't have to accept it, then I shouldn't either!!! So you see, you helped me in reaching out and I thank you. My husband and my family have been trying to encourage me to continue in my search for the right doctor/and or procedure to correct my mess. So the same goes for you. Hang in there Sweet Person. You deserve to be the best "Boomer" you can! Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing! I am SO grateful for scoliosis.org/forum!!!!
                    Thank you all SO much!!!
                    SouthernLady930

Comment

Working...
                    X