Physio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physio?

We have been told that Physio Therapy is not necessary after the Fusion... DH thinks that she probably should have some, I mean how could it hurt to learn some core strengthening exercises?

I have no idea where I stand on this... Did any of you have your children go to any Physio?
    Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
    Diagnosed January 11/08
    In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
    Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

PT is not prescribed after fusion for kids to my knowledge. I can't recall any testimonial where a surgeon had a kid doing PT. It is not necessary as far as I know. Linda would know about any general trends in this area I would think.

If your husband seeks out PT against the surgeon's advice then I suggest you have the therapist clear any and all therapy through the surgeon first. There are bending/twisting/lifting restrictions for several months until the fusion occurs.

I can't speak to how weak your daughter's muscles are due to the brace wear but I am guessing she will nevertheless bounce back extremely quickly and will not need any PT. I don't know that though... it is a lay guess based on my two young associates and their post-op experiences.

And finally, it seems like your husband has plenty of ideas with regards to approaching this recovery. That's fine as long as he runs each and every one of them by the surgeon. There are many testimonials of lay folks coming to various conclusions absent any training. With each one I am more and more grateful I didn't have to deal with that. The surgeon's instructions are really all you need. I got written instructions about what to do and not do in recovery. Maybe your surgeon has some also.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 05-07-2011, 08:18 AM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Alexander had PT about 6 mos. after his surgery. He did the PT for many, many months in order to try to help his posture. It helped to some extent, although he still needs some reminders to stand up straight. It was mostly geared to core strengthening and other postural related muscle groups, as well as basic strength training. Most kids don't seem to need PT but I frequently asked about it and the surgeon finally consented when the fusion had probably completed itself.

Now Alexander works out at a health club under the occasional guidance of a personal trainer. I coach him with this when he's not with the personal trainer.

Good luck with your Halle's surgery. Now is the most stressful time but soon you'll be through it and she'll be on the road to recovery. You're doing a great job asking a lot of questions and trying to make the best decisions for her!

All the best,
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Thank you so much for both of the responses! I appreciate your experience and advice on this!

My husband is very active, all about strengthening, etc... We would make sure with the surgeon before doing anything though. I mean I guess his thought is if it can help at all, why not? But if it actually had a negative effect on her, then he wouldn't do it. So we will see if the Surgeon just doesn't feel it's necessary or if he just doesn't want us doing it.

Thanks again!
        Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
        Diagnosed January 11/08
        In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
        Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
        X