Swimsuit Shopping NOT painful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarahcant View Post
    So not trivial Karen! Ive lost weight with this surgery plus a straight back without having to hide my entire back? priceless!!! Sometimes just focusing on those things keeps me going thru the pain and aggravation of this whole process
    I so agree! In addition to having virtually no rib hump and no disfigured waistline, I have also lost almost 20 pounds since my surgery. I cannot wait to try on swimsuits too. I had to buy a rather ugly one last year because most suits wouldn't hang right on me. And I can't wait to show my battle scar - I bet my long scar will turn heads this year!
    Laurie
    Age 57
    Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
    Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
    Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
    Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
    Dr Munish Gupta
    UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Laurie: I like your term of "battle scar". It will be fine with me when it fades, but I'm almost proud of it now. It takes guts to have any type of surgery, especially when one has to make the decision to "go for it".

All of my friends know how much I love to play golf and give me sympathy, but I don't want it and refuse to let myself have any self pity over missing a year of golf. It's not like I have a terminal disease. I am happy with my "new body" and know that I will eventually be back on the course playing. For now, I'm walking the course and will soon chip and putt. By having the surgery, maybe I'll be able to still play golf at age 90 like my dad! Scoliosis surgery is a little break in one's normal life, but eventually we all hope it's for the best.

Thanks, all, for your replies.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Not trivial at all! I'm happy for you! I went bathing suit shopping before my honeymoon and almost cried. It was really painful to feel so deformed while I was supposed to be celebrating. I had to psych myself up for it

-Christina
        Christina
        Age 31

Wore a brace as a teen but my double thoracic curves progressed.
        Had surgery on 6/29/11 with Dr. Rand at NEBH
        Curves improved from 45 and 50 degrees to mid 20s.

Comment

I bought a new one this spring -- first time in about 20 years. Ha ha! Now that's something. It helps to lose a bunch of weight on top of getting a straight back! (Very big smile here.) Of course, it's just our own pool, so no one is really going to see me anyway... but it was fun trying them on and NOT being appalled.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Good for you, Susie! Only other ex-scolis understand!
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I'm happy for you Susie and really understand where you're coming from. I had my surgery at the age of 23 and never wore a proper swimsuit (except for when I was like 6 to 8 years old) because I was way too self conscious to even consider it.

I got married at the start of this year and wore a dress with a bodice that sat on my hips because I was so excited that they were finally straight! I'm looking forward to buying my first two-piece swimsuit in a few months
              Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
              46° curve
              Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

That sounds fun, Cimbom! And how exciting to be a newlywed! I'm approaching anniversary #39! Karen, you made a lot of us share in the emotional delight of trying on swimsuits rather than the dread it formerly brought, when you started this thread. Thanks.
                Last edited by Susie*Bee; 06-21-2011, 07:04 AM.
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                X