I feel crackling, andI have itching inside now in my spine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel crackling, andI have itching inside now in my spine

I seem to have the worst and oddest pains and problems on this forum, and I still dont have answers from my Drs---- yet(?). I am so thankful for this forum, because without you I would be so alone. Even if you arent Dr's, all of the input, advice and experiences from everyone helps alot, and it is comforting for me. So thank you for being there, and I am sorry I am always complaining about my pain and problems.. I feel different..I feel really alone with my pain and problems. I am just looking for answers and want so much to get my health back and to feel GOOD.

Since last sat night, my sharp stabbing pain has now also turned into itching inside along my spine. The chest pain is gone. Its this itch i cant scratch and it has me awake all night and in the day time I just flutter around here unrelaxed and hiper because of it. Benadryl didnt help, got that from the ER Dr I finally drove to see because Id been up all night Sunday. I called my surgeons office yesterday and the 1st PA said itching inside my spine "would not be related to the spine surgery." The next PA that I spoke to said she had "never heard of this after this surgery." I dont have a fever. My white blood count is low 3.4 according to an allergy Dr I saw Monday for the small rash that I seem to be the only one to see very close to my incision. I am on a chemo drug since the surgery called Methotrexate, due to the severe intii-nflamatory arthritis and bursitis I developed shortly after the surgery. This drug initially causes low white blood cell counts in the first week, and then it is supposed to resume to normal after 21-28 days on the med. I have now been on it 2 months. I was reading the Medtronic website about the CD Horizon implants I beleive are what I have, ( my report says Medtronic Legacy and that is the model I guess ) and one of the things listed as a possible complication from them is auto-immune diseases and bursitis,( what I developed right after the surgeryand have now, and it mentions also an allergy to the titanium. It also says the hardware is only temporary and should not be left in if normal fusion occurs and that it will not last without fusion either. It mentions ( on the list ) that people without enough soft tissue coverage should not be candidates for these implants. EVERY Dr I see for pain ( Family Dr, my surgeon, the U of M surgeon I saw recently, 2 ER Dr's, Allergy Dr, and RA Dr ) all say the same thing when they see me now. "You are so thin, the hardware screws etc could be irritating your muscles, skin " etc etc..The hardware is very predominant on my back. Several lumps where the screws and hooks are . But the Dr saw my weight and stature before the surgery and I am not a Dr, I didnt know this problem exsisted or was a possibility before the surgery.

I am starting to feel crackling in my spine lately with certain movements where I have hardware ( where all my pain is usually ) and also when I turn my head, in my neck. looking for anyone out there who can relate or just has input to help.

Don't apologise for complaining about pain and wanting answers Leanne, anybody in the same same boat would be the same. I wish I could help.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

JenniferG

You have been alot of help to me. Thank you.

Comment

I don't know much about the itch, but the cracking is my specialty. I get at least 50 cracks a day. Don't know if it's the muscle ligaments sliding over the hardware or the bone or even the hardware itself. But it hurts and it's not a good feeling. Muscle relaxant and ibuprofen is probably only thing that meds can help you with. Don't get addicted on that crap though, it's not good for you. It's hard to describe the cracking, I use to just get small crack, but not I feel a severe crack/shift/snapping of something in my back. Not a good sign.

Comment

Hi...

After my first surgery, I had some of the internal itch that can't be scratched feeling for awhile. I think it was just part of the healing process. It was, however, quite distracting. Hope it goes away quickly.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Leanne, you have every right to complain b/c you are obviously very uncomfortable, frustrated and no doubt worried and add lack of sleep to that... it's completely to be expected. I have not had spine surgery so I can't help you but am following along and hoping you get your answers ASAP.
            Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
            Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
            Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
            http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

I don't know if you're experiencing the same thing my son has but this is what he has experienced. Some popping in his back which freaks him out more than anything, but doc told us it was scar tissue and to be expected.

He gets tingling spots on his back and starts to itch and has scratched himself raw but doc said it's the nerves waking up.
              Angie Romero, Mom to Alex, Dominic & Marissa.
              Alex was fused from T2-L2 at the age of 12 on Dec 22, 2010
              By Dr. Hanson at Texas Children's Hospital

Comment

I have both cracking/creaking and itching. The itching is along my spine and in random muscles. It is deep, and with my back being numb, no amount of scratching will help it. I might as well be scratching someone else. It can drive you crazy!!!
                I am finally getting a little feeling in spots on my back. I can imagine there will be lots of weird sensations with the nerves healing. I know it's normal, and I'm still trying to be patient!

My popping/cracking/creaking has been going on since my surgery. Some popping, but mostly creaking. It sounds squeaky. It seems to be happening more often as I've become more active. It creaks so loud that my husband can hear it if it is quiet. It gives him the heebie jeebies! It feels strange, but there is no pain. I go back for another checkup in 10 days. I can make it creak any time I move, it even creaks when I'm laying in bed and deep breathing, trying to relax and go to sleep. I will let her actually listen to it and see if she still thinks it is ligaments or muscles sliding over the hardware. I could see snapping or popping, but creaking??? At least it doesn't hurt!

I didn't answer any questions for you, but I do believe you have a lot of company with itching and crackling!
                Jenee'-52
                Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                9 hours
                T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                Non-fusion
                Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Over the years, I've occasionally read posts about popping and creaking, but as far as I know, no one has ever posted a long-term follow-up. Is there anyone out there who had popping and/or creaking in the short-term, and who is at least 5-10 years postoperative?

Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Crackiling and itching

I'm learning so much here. I need to say, I finally got results on blood work that I begged for from my family dr, who I had seen previously for the pain and thinking I had Shingles back on March 14th. I have a Positive result for Shingles. I KNEW I had it. It was identical and is identical to the symptoms but without a real bad rash, blistering on my skin or any fever. Saw 5 Drs and all said they didnt believe it was Shingles. I am CRAWLING with stinging itching pain along my spine INSIDE and to the left on my shoulder blade and down. Its all INSIDE and that scares me. So I have internal Shingles or what? I never even thought to ask my Dr when she called personally to tell me the results. She said it was to late for the antiviral med so told me to get Capsaicin ( similar to Zosterix I think ) lotion which is made up of red chili peppers or something. She said it tricks the brain ..(?) I have used it 3 times and it burns and stings and itches so bad after a while I can hardly stand it. Tube says this will go away eventually. I think I may have a combination of the nerves waking up along with the Shingles and I am miserable and just very UNLUCKY I think. I had alot of pain before this...Now my low mid back area feels like the rod is ready to snap or has, as if someone has kicked me in the back. I have this sandy crackling feeling in my upper back and neck when I move it certain ways. It doesnt pop or creak, it feels crackly..like crushed bones.. Sorry but thats how it feels.
                    My fusion was t-2 to t-11 and I have pain now where the rod ends or near the end.Like someone has kicked me hard there. Besides all of this, every dr I have seen including my original surgeon says "you are so thin" "the hardware is irritating you", and as I mentioned the screws and hooks etc do protrude on my skin quite a bit. So why would my surgeon not have explained this as a posibility and or rule me out as a candidate for these implants ? Each movement I make I feel the the screws and hooks grind my skin inside effecting nerves and muscles. It feels like an open wound inside. it feels like its just raw.. The Medtronic Legacy information specifically states patients without enough soft tissue coverage should not have these implants. All that I know right now is with everything thats happened and happening to me, I want this hardware out of my body as soon as possible..The inflamatory arthritis I got right after the surgery is an autoimmune disease and this is mentioned can result from the implants as well ( or sutures unabsorbed remaining as well ). Titanium allergy ? For me possible. I had a bunionectomy years ago and had severe pain from the pin used that was left in my foot and I had to have surgery to remove it. This report was faxed to my surgeon before the surgery and they called me to say it wouldnt effect my having the surgery, but they would not use vycril sutures as a result of what happened. ( But as Ive mentioned before they did anyway and I had one not absorb and pop out and then removed )...I have a stinging aching pain where my bone graft is and they used a vycril suture there as well. ( They said they didnt use ANY Vycril sutures, and they changed the surgery report later to reflect this statement, but the paragraph regarding my bone graft still says Vycril was used there-OOps ) Yes I am extremely frustrated and afraid as I know I come across as. I see my surgeon Monday.The one who gives me like all of 5 mins at office visits and doesnt listen to anything you say.

Sincerely,
                    FRUSTRATED, sad and with SHINGLES...
                    Last edited by leannebr; 04-02-2011, 07:31 PM.

Comment

This is so awful for you. I truly don't understand the use of Caspcian lotion. I have used it off and on for years pre and post surgery when I have a spot that aches so bad it's my best recourse. It burns on the outside and often then later when you shower. And don't get it on your hands or in your eyes. It burns like crazy--can't put in contacts for a couple days after no matter how much you wash your hands. So...I'm kind of confused about this really helping since you already are having burning, itching, etc. etc. I hope you have a list of good questions for this surgeon. If he won't give you time or answers, I think you need to check with someone else. This just doesn't make sense. Maybe that's used for shingles but it seems weird to me. jI would think your surgeon would be pretty concerned about shingles along the incision. Janet
                      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

shingles pain

Leanne,
                        Ask you physician for a script for Valtrex. This is a commonly used drug to decrease pain and itching associated with shingles. So sorry to hear of your troubles...
                        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I'm not surprised, your description certainly *sounded* like Shingles. It took a long while to get your results Leanne. I hope you get some relief now that you know for sure what it is.

I tend also to agree with your take on possibly having an allergic reaction to the hardware or the sutures and the possibility it could cause an auto-immune disease. I'm hoping it's just the sutures. You will need that hardware for a few more months to ensure proper fusion.

If it's just the sutures, and you already knew you shouldn't have had that particular type, your surgeon has made an error causing you a great deal of pain and anxiety. I presume the sutures can be removed?
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

ISorry for writing a BOOK on my last post!

Just reading the resposes and looked at my post ..I am sorry for carrying on with my woahs. Boy did I vent on that one-yikes.
                            Yes it is comforting to KNOW it's Shingles. I felt better when I learned actually. Pain then turned more to an itch. I sure dont understand the Capsaicin cream as a fix for the pain, but I did read somewhere online it can help with long term permanent nerve pain from this. How, is strange because it does burn like...-- bad.
                            I am a little concerned about the other stuff I read about internal organ damage etc since it's all inside and on or very near my spine and fusion. With being on the chemo drug Methotrexate for the arthritis now its scary. Seems like every disease you read about can be caused by and is dangerous for people on these auto-immune suppressive drugs.All the warnings say if you are and you have this or that or symptoms see your dr right away. Well, I did. I saw 5.
                            We all know our bodies the best. I knew. I also feel my bodies reacting to the implants or something else. And I believe in positive thoughts will heal, so my negative thoughts have not helped me !!
                            I have quite the list of questions and concerns for my surgeon Monday. He will probably run. Thanks for the well wishes and help. It is so good to hear from others. It helps boost the spirit.

Comment

JenniferG

By the way, Jennifer your pictures are absolutely amazing and incredible and you look so great in your final after surgery pic. You are very blessed and I am just so happy to see that. You had an amazing Dr and also God watching over you. It just really inspired me to see your pictures. Yay!!! ))))))))))))))

Comment

Working...
                              X