Waiting and watching for the last year and a half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting and watching for the last year and a half

Hi everyone, It has been some time since I last posted. Our younger son was diagnosed more than a year ago. After seeing a few doctors in NJ we were recommended to Dr. Errico up at NYU. We were really impressed with him and have been in his care ever since. Last spring and summer, Nick went through a big growth spurt and had to be refitted for a new brace last October. There was some increase over the summer but not much. We went back in early December and everything looked great and Dr. Errico was pleased with the way Nick was growing.
    Two weeks ago, we went back and after another x-ray, the curve increased by 8 degrees. Dr. Errico was not happy and sounded a bit discouraged. Recommended we see him again early June. He said he measured 34 and 35 degrees with the brace on and said without the brace he would most likely 40 degrees.
    I am really getting concerned that surgery will be in his near future. He is 15 years old and stands at 5 ft 7 in. He is physically fit and does not complain too much about his brace. He has been a real trooper.
    I know the docs usually consider surgery when the curve reached 45 degrees. Without the brace, he is only 5 degrees away.
    Surgery scares me but I know that if it is really needed, we are under the care of one of the best docs around.

I have a few questions I hope someone can answer

If his curves stops increasing and stay around 35 degrees, is it possible for him to not have any back issues as an adult? I am concerned about his quality of life especially since he is so active.
    If the curve increase from now until the beginning of June when we go back, do you think the doc will recommend surgery???

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I look forward to reading your responses.

Roe
Working...
X