No announcement yet.

update on trulyaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I had posted an update here since I came home but there’s those drugs playing tricks on me again! To summarize, my two-stage surgery was on March 9 and 11. Dr. Lenke removed ALL of the posterior hardware from my previous surgeries, did one lumbar osteotomy and re-instrumented and fused me from T1 to sacrum. I was released from the hospital on March 17 and went directly to their Rehabilitation Institute. I came home on March 28. Dr. Lenke’s office had gone ahead and arranged for my home PT/OT. I have been initially evaluated and expect to get my weekly schedule tomorrow.
    I have no pain, just a slight soreness in my mid-back. I have some weakness in my legs and an awkward walking gate; I’m hoping these are temporary. I’m convinced that going directly to Rehab has made all the difference in how I felt when I came home.
    One thing I’m struggling with is lack of appetite. Not unusual, I know, and there have been times in my past where I would have begged for no appetite. However, I’m worried about getting enough nutrition for my healing; I’m eating less than half I would normally eat – and I wasn’t that big an eater before. I’m hoping this will pass soon.
    I must say that the level of care and compassion – extending from Dr. Lenke and his office to the hospital to the rehab institute and even the Parkway Hotel – was outstanding. I don’t know how they have managed to achieve such a high level across the board, but they most certainly have.
    I just re-read your comments here and mgs reminded me of something when I was in the hospital. As usual, I was constipated after surgery and we struggled to wake up the bowels. I teased my nurses that they would all have to do the happy dance when I finally had a bowel movement. Guess what – they all came in and did just that! It was pretty funny!
    In summary, the most important part of this update: I’M STANDING UP STRAIGHT! Am I happy about that? YOU BET!
    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Felicia--
      For all of the work you had done, I think you are doing wonderfully! So glad you are up and about and straight. Despite one dreadful nurse who wouldn't give me meds on time and pretty much refused to help since she was busy on the computer all the time, the rest were very good, I agree! (Maybe she is gone, I hope! She caused me some real misery). The hospital and rehab center were very good--at least as much as I can remember. Keep on healing! Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Great news Felicia. You certainly deserve a nice, easy recovery now.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
        X