Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How old were your children at the time of surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old were your children at the time of surgery?

I'm just curious to know how old everyone's children were.

Halle is 11... part of me worries that she is so young to be having this surgery, it will probably effect her growth. I guess only the fuse portion will no longer grow, the rest of her will.
    Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
    Diagnosed January 11/08
    In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
    Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by MJB View Post
    I'm just curious to know how old everyone's children were.

Halle is 11... part of me worries that she is so young to be having this surgery, it will probably effect her growth. I guess only the fuse portion will no longer grow, the rest of her will.
    You might want to ask the surgeon the following:

1. What is her skeletal maturity (bone age)? This is most accurately determined with a hand/wrist radiograph as I understand this.

2. Depending on the answer to #1, what is the chance of crankshafting if doing a posterior fusion?

3. What is the plan to avoid crankshafting if significant growth remains?

It is my understanding that the lack of growth in the fused area of an 11 year old girl is going to be on the order of 1 centimeter or so. The surgeon will know. I doubt it will be noticeable at all.

It is my further understanding that if they are able to use mostly screws, crankshafting won't be an issue. My one kid was fused at 13.3 yo and was at a low Risser. I asked the surgeon about crankshafting and he said it would not happen in her case even though she had much growth remaining. I think the reason was he was he knew he could use mostly screws. The only hooks she has are on the top left and they are there not because he couldn't use screws but to avoid screw pullout.

The other kid had her fusion at almost 15 yo. She was mostly grown and has mostly screws but with hooks at the top left also as I recall.

Good luck.

(edited to correct the age of the first kid at surgery)
    Last edited by Pooka1; 03-17-2011, 05:38 AM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Jamie was 13 y.o. and skeletally mature when she had her surgery.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Katlin was 16 at time of surgery.

Jes was schduled at 20.

Dee
        Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
        Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
        Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

My son will be having his first surgery in 5 days and his second surgery on April 19th. with halo traction in between and he is 14. We didn't even discuss his skeletal maturity b/c his case is so urgent. He is 5'8" and weighs 118-120lbs so is a pretty decent size and I'm betting he will gain about 3" in height when straightened. His older brother is 6'3" so it's possible Elias will eventually hit the 6' mark but I doubt he'll be as tall as his older brother but you never know. Boys take so much longer to reach skeletal maturity than girls.
          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Working...
          X