Got a surgery date...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a surgery date...

It is sooner than expected... May 16th. We were told that they were booked until the summer but they would get her in before the end of August, so we weren't prepared today when we got a phone call that there are 2 months until the surgery.

She will have to start taking iron supplements asap and we'll have to start banking her blood soon.

We haven't told her yet, her cousin was sleeping over today and we didn't want to upset her with the news, so hopefully she will be ok tomorrow when she finds out it's sooner than expected. The plus side, she wont be missing 1/2 of the summer now.
    Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
    Diagnosed January 11/08
    In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
    Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

Yes that's a good way to look at it.

I think you will find that she bounces back very quickly. Most kids do. Read some of those testimonials. Avoid the adult recovery testimonials... those are a different animal and not applicable in your daughter's case.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

MJB - Sooner may be better. My DD had surgery last year - got the date right before the holidays in December, but didn't tell her until after New Years. She had little over a month to stress about it. My older DD has months to ponder the surgery date and was find until 2 weeks prior. At that point anxiety took over and surgery needed to be canceled.

Different kid, different coping ways, different ages (16 and 20), different outcomes, but I'd take the shortest wait time given the option.

Best to you all - this is the hardest time.
      Dee
      Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
      Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
      Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Working...
      X