Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 136

Thread: Scoliosis & Heavy Metal Allergy

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    65
    Oh well, if you say it isn't true, then that must be the case. I didn't know you were a scientist, ornithologist, ichthyologist and medic, with indisputable evidence that environmental toxins definitely do not play a part in any case of scoliosis.

    With that vast knowledge base you must be very highly sought after! I must remember to contact the lab who conducted my heavy metal test and tell them that the result is nonsense because Pooka says so.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9,289
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaM View Post
    Oh well, if you say it isn't true, then that must be the case. I didn't know you were a scientist, ornithologist, ichthyologist and medic, with indisputable evidence that environmental toxins definitely do not play a part in any case of scoliosis.

    With that vast knowledge base you must be very highly sought after! I must remember to contact the lab who conducted my heavy metal test and tell them that the result is nonsense because Pooka says so.
    They need to pony up evidence for their wacky claims. The world is still waiting.

    You are deep within a folk science world with your posts. I invite you up into the light of reality and science. It's the only game in town to help you.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

    No island of sanity.

    Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine


    "We are all African."

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooka1 View Post
    only humans get AIS.
    Idiopathic only means the cause is unknown. How do you jump from that to mean that it cannot therefore be from mercury exposure, even if not recognised?

    I invite you up into the light of reality and science
    I am already in the real world where mercury poisoning is beyond dispute and can be tested. It doesn't get more real than that! Or are you going to say next that there is no evidence that anybody has ever had mercury poisoning, or maybe that mercury is completely harmless? I think it is you who needs to step into reality. When you are personally affected by it, there is no option to pretend it doesn't exist.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9,289
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaM View Post
    Idiopathic only means the cause is unknown. How do you jump from that to mean that it cannot therefore be from mercury exposure, even if not recognised?
    How do you jump to it possibly being mercury? Why not sunspots? Why not epigenetics? There is no evidence for the mercury hypothesis and there is plenty of counterevidence against it.

    I am already in the real world where mercury poisoning is beyond dispute and can be tested. It doesn't get more real than that! Or are you going to say next that there is no evidence that anybody has ever had mercury poisoning, or maybe that mercury is completely harmless? I think it is you who needs to step into reality. When you are personally affected by it, there is no option to pretend it doesn't exist.
    The incidences of mercury poisoning are known.

    The forms of mercury that are toxic are known.

    All of that points AWAY from mercury being associated in any way with AIS just like it points AWAY from mercury causing autism.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

    No island of sanity.

    Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine


    "We are all African."

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,293

    Exclamation My family and my family's scoliosis in relation to mercury plus scientific references

    I was born in 1942. My mom never went to the dentist; she never sent any of us as kids to the dentist until we had a toothache and it was too far gone for a filling. Guess what: my mom, my sister, myself and my brother all have scoliosis. There was no way that mercury fillings caused our scoliosis. Scientist have identified genetic causes for scoliosis.

    http://www.dentalwatch.org/hg/amalgampp.html:
    "Background History
    Dental amalgam has been widely used for over 150 years. It is made by mixing approximately equal parts of elemental liquid mercury (43 to 54 percent) and an alloy powder (57 to 46 percent) composed of silver, tin, copper, and sometimes smaller amounts of zinc, palladium, or indium [1]. Although some forms of mercury are hazardous, the mercury in amalgam is chemically bound to the other metals to make it stable and therefore safe for use in dental applications." this is from:

    NCAHF is a nonprofit consumer protection organization that promotes rational health care. This page and the PDF version of this paper are copyrighted but may be noncommercially reproduced with appropriate credit.

    http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...curytests.html

    http://www.dentalwatch.org/hg/hearings/fda(2010).html

    http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...s/mercury.html





    There are unscrupulous practitioners playing on irrational fears making a good living drilling out amalgam fillings and doing dubious testing/detoxification
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooka1 View Post
    There is no evidence for the mercury hypothesis and there is plenty of counterevidence against it
    Hypothesis of what? Mercury poisoning generally or mercury possibly leading to some cases of scoliosis? There is as much evidence for general toxicity as against it, and most of the 'against' is done by those trying to protect their interests. How can they now admit its toxicity when its in the mouths of millions of people? It's not a great leap to believe that the second most toxic substance to the human body causes problems when it is introduced into it in massive doses, compared to what is considered a safe level of exposure. As I said earlier, I had 250million times the safe level of mercury in my mouth alone. You would be quite happy with that, would you, and wouldn't even consider it might cause damage to your health? And you think I am gullible! Even my own dentist, who is instructed by the health authority to use amalgam in her patients has had her own amalgam fillings removed. What does that tell you?


    The incidences of mercury poisoning are known.

    The forms of mercury that are toxic are known.

    All of that points AWAY from mercury being associated in any way with AIS just like it points AWAY from mercury causing autism.
    The incidences of mercury are not often known because no-one routinely tests for it. Mine wasn't known - but it's known now and yet you still deny it. However, your statement above doesn't even make sense. What has the fact that mercury poisoning and the forms of mercury are known got to do with the next part of your statement? That has got to be the most unscientific explanation I have seen for anything! I am not talking about autism - I am talking about scoliosis and, to the best of my knowledge, there is no information available on the study of mercury and its possible links to scoliosis so how you say it points away from AIS needs explained. If you know of any credible research articles making this claim, then I'd be delighted to see it.

    Finally, no-one has ever said that all cases of scoliosis are due to mercury. I'm sure there are all sorts of factors which may lead to scoliosis, some known and others not. There are also other ways to ingest or inhale mercury, such as eating large quantities of the fish that contain high levels of it or inhaling mercury vapour from broken fluorescent light bulbs.

    http://www.sdearthtimes.com/et1202/et1202s17.html
    http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    7,175
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaM View Post
    Even my own dentist, who is instructed by the health authority to use amalgam in her patients has had her own amalgam fillings removed. What does that tell you?
    That maybe, someday, she'll wake up and realize that she probably went off the deep end for awhile. Why do you think the other 99.9% of dentists haven't removed their own fillings, and the fillings of all of their patients?
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    Why do you think the other 99.9% of dentists haven't removed their own fillings, and the fillings of all of their patients?
    Oh, you personally know the statistics for dentists having amalgam in their own mouth? Can you give a source for the figure of 99.9% you quote?

    In the UK, NHS dentists do not have the option of placing non-amalgam in their patients. Neither can they remove them for any reason other than they need replaced with yet more amalgam.

    It seems the Scandinavian countries are more up to date. I suppose they are wrong as well?:

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/...08+PRN20080103

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9,289
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaM View Post
    Mercury poisoning generally or mercury possibly leading to some cases of scoliosis?
    Mercury as it relates to AIS is the only thing on the table. Until you pony up bone fide research showing a link between teh two they you can't speculate wildly across the universe of possibilities. I mean you can but it won't help you.

    Mine wasn't known - but it's known now and yet you still deny it.
    You do not have a known case of mercury toxicity until a bone fide medical doctor or toxicologist confirms it. So far, and correct me if I'm wrong, you just have quacks. Yo have no known exposure to enough of the right form nor do you have a credible suggestion on where you might have been exposed to enough of the right form. Until you do it is arm waving of the worst kind because it is not helping you and it is actively misleading the troops.

    However, your statement above doesn't even make sense. What has the fact that mercury poisoning and the forms of mercury are known got to do with the next part of your statement? That has got to be the most unscientific explanation I have seen for anything! I am not talking about autism - I am talking about scoliosis and, to the best of my knowledge, there is no information available on the study of mercury and its possible links to scoliosis so how you say it points away from AIS needs explained. If you know of any credible research articles making this claim, then I'd be delighted to see it.
    You picked mercury at random. You have no scientific reason to think mercury is causing your problems. I picked autism to show how they rule out thinks like mercury toxicity in certain diseases. Given the known genetic links in AIS, it is not rational to suggest a toxicity etiology at this point.

    Finally, no-one has ever said that all cases of scoliosis are due to mercury. I'm sure there are all sorts of factors which may lead to scoliosis, some known and others not. There are also other ways to ingest or inhale mercury, such as eating large quantities of the fish that contain high levels of it or inhaling mercury vapour from broken fluorescent light bulbs.

    http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html
    It is good to minimize exposure to things like mercury. It does NOT then follow that incidental exposures like you has of a low-to-no toxicity form can move the needle on your health.

    Please get real medical advice.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

    No island of sanity.

    Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine


    "We are all African."

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9,289
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaM View Post
    It seems the Scandinavian countries are more up to date. I suppose they are wrong as well?:

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/...08+PRN20080103
    Did you read that article??? They have moved away from amalgam fillings to reduce mercury going into the environment, NOT for human health reasons. I am not surprised Scandinavia is out ahead on the environment or out ahead on anything for that matter. As the most atheistic region of the globe, I expect they to be out ahead on science, morality and ethics.

    Please STOP reading the quacks and try to understand the science of this issue.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

    No island of sanity.

    Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine


    "We are all African."

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooka1 View Post
    They have moved away from amalgam fillings to reduce mercury going into the environment, NOT for human health reasons
    "The Swedish amalgam ban is for both environmental and health issues, according to authorities."

    try to understand the science of this issue.
    I think you would be wise to take your own advice. Dental amalgam, both before and after it enters the mouth, is considered toxic and still has to be handled as a poison after it is removed. If it is toxic before being placed in the mouth, and still toxic when it is removed, then why would it be safe while it is in the mouth? And don't say, "because it is in a stable alloy". It is still in this alloy when it is removed so why don't they just chuck it in the waste? Instead, they are instructed not to handle it with bare hands and store it is sealed containers for toxic waste collection.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9,289
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaM View Post
    "The Swedish amalgam ban is for both environmental and health issues, according to authorities."
    That cannot be correctly referring to human health as there is no evidence amalgam filling are detrimental to human health. Maybe it is meant just to assuage the folk scientists who are immune to reason and ration and science.

    The article bangs on almost entirely about environmental issues and that other materials are just as good.

    I think you would be wise to take your own advice. Dental amalgam, both before and after it enters the mouth, is considered toxic and still has to be handled as a poison after it is removed. If it is toxic before being placed in the mouth, and still toxic when it is removed, then why would it be safe while it is in the mouth? And don't say, "because it is in a stable alloy". It is still in this alloy when it is removed so why don't they just chuck it in the waste? Instead, they are instructed not to handle it with bare hands and store it is sealed containers for toxic waste collection.
    The issue is releases of mercury TO THE ENVIRONMENT where if is exposed to anaerobic, sulfate-reducing conditions may get methylated which is a toxic form.

    Completely misunderstanding the issues makes it impossible for you to assess things correctly.

    If you think there is evidence for dangers to human health from mercury amalgam then why didn't all the Scandinavian countries simply state that rather than all the other reasons they state? Why isn't it banned in the US? It's because there is no evidence. All those other reasons are superfluous if there was demonstrated human health risk.

    Remember, if something doesn't make sense then it probably isn't true.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

    No island of sanity.

    Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine


    "We are all African."

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,748
    I'm jumping into this conversation blindly here. I have family members who have metal sensitivities. My mom can only wear gold jewelry, etc. I had some amalgam fillings. Every tooth in my head that had amalgam in it hurt. I had them all removed but one. The one I still have still hurts. I will say, though, that when I wear silver jewelry, which is never anymore, I would blister wherever the silver touched my skin. I can't eat off of real silver flatware. It's like someone running their nails down a chalkboard to put silver in my mouth.

    So the issue here for me, at least, is the silver, not the mercury. I know mercury is toxic, but, back in the day when people didn't know better, my mother used to get it and shine her nickels with it with her bare fingers. She's still alive and kickin', never had cancer or any other major health problem. I'm the only one of her kids with scoli and I'm the youngest (she was 26when I was born).

    I would prefer they didn't use amalgam fillings. My kids never had a cavity, so I never came across that issue as a mother.

    Without reading the article being discussed - which is a no, no - I would tend to think letting the mercury into the environment where it gets concentrated into the food chain makes more sense as to why it needs to be disposed of properly. Some fish contain extremely high amounts of mercury and therefore should either not be eaten or eaten in very small quantities, for example.
    Last edited by rohrer01; 03-18-2012 at 02:25 PM.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    52
    Andrea,

    What is your test result? I've been having attacks from sever mercury poison from my amalgam and recent exposed to elemental mercury from broken mercury thermometer 6 months ago.

    I started to do research finding what is going on w/ the sudden sever eczema and linked to the root cause of eczema is mercury, then realize I have lots of the symptoms since I was young, around age 8 or 9 which was around the age I developed scoliosis.

    One of mercury toxicity diseases is Multiple sclerosis which is an autoimmune disease that affects the brain and spinal cord (central nervous system). Mercury can cause neurological damage which leads to neuromuscular changes, and changes in nerve responses, muscle weakness, etc.

    Mercury also damages, blocks and robs certain trace elements which lead to inactive certain enzymes which cause those diseases.

    Watch this video to see how Mercury damage brain:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU8nS...UntukfyNSH5cE6

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3bFB...UntukfyNSH5cE6

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ylnQ...UntukfyNSH5cE6


    When someone has mercury toxcity, I'd think there's also other metal in their bodies are causing problems, however, mercury is the most potent and cause most the damage, and that's why we just say Mercury posion but it can actual refer to heavy metal toxicity. I have other metal allergies, toxic causing problem, but mercury is the highest .

    Metal toxicity can transfer and pass on from mother to the baby. Someone never eat fish, never have exposes to mercury element, never have amalgams can still have high metal in their body causing damage cells and DNA from their mother, grand mother, and etc pass on. .

    Just by removing amalgams, body does not automatic remove metal out of body. Body removes organic mercury, but not inorganic mercury which is from amalgams. Inorganic mercury and other metal stay in your body until you move them out. Then, you can start to heal.

    We should keep digging and find out more info. I would not be surprise if mercury, metal toxicity has strong link to scoliosis at all. In fact, I have been thinking that since I am finding out more and more info and that's how I found this post. I googled it heavy metal and scoliosis








    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaM View Post
    Thank you Mehera,

    I have no way of knowing what this test will reveal, if anything at all. However, neither will I ever know if I don't give it a chance. Scoliosis is only one of my problems. I was on acid-suppressants to protect my stomach from NSAIDs needed for ongoing pain following my fusion. Fifteen years later, I started having shooting pains in my leg and had a TIA shortly after. I was then put on BP meds and from then on never felt well. I was dizzy, had increasing nerve pain, extreme fatigue and stomach issues. Then I began to lose the feeling in that leg and the muscles withered. Next was a gradual and total loss of bowel and bladder function which is permanent. Added to it all was general allergies, muscle cramps and spasms and insomnia. I felt at the point of death when, by chance, I saw a list of the symptoms of Pernicious Anaemia. Since it was exactly describing me, I read up on it and approached my doctor. Despite all the tests being in the low normal ranges, he allowed me to try the injections and the effect was instant and spectacular. After months of terrible pain, especially during the night, it disappeared the night of that first injection. Over the next few days, my energy level began to improve and I stopped falling and banging into furniture and doorways. My BP returned to normal within the week. However, I needed a very high amount of B12 and folic acid to keep stable and fortunately my doctor is one of the few who allowed me to have them. He knows how ill I was and what difference it made to me. I suspect I will always have the results of the nerve damage which is reckoned to be irreversible due to the length of time it has been there but I have some sort of a life back. Then, in December, I had the 'flu jab and within days began to get quite a few symptoms, including general sickness and stomach upset. I have very gradually improved to some extent but my BP is very erratic, even on medication. I do not have any official diagnosis, other than demyelination of my spinal cord, and the evidence of bladder and bowel shutdown and nerve damage to my leg.

    The fact that I am on B12 and folic acid is consistent with the theory of it helping my glutathione level (which gets destroyed by mercury) and I am wondering if that is why it has been so effective in improving my health. I know I can't do anything about the Scoliosis but if I can even recover sufficiently to be able to stop having to inject into muscle 3 times a week, it will be worth it.

    Even if was eventually proved that heavy metal allergy was leading to cases of Scoliosis, quite what you would do about it is another matter. Obviously, you can't test the entire population and even if you did you are not going to know which people might go on to develop it and what other factors may have to come into play. So that leaves you only able to respond once the first signs of Scoliosis begin to appear. It would be very interesting to know what the figures would be if everyone in this position was tested for metal allergy as soon as Scoliosis was detected. Would those here who are so dismissive of the whole idea refuse to have their child tested? Imagine perhaps later finding out that you could have halted or reversed the Scoliosis. There are many Scoliotics now in their 40s or 50s who have gone on to have the kind of problems I have. Why should they develop these symptoms if all that was wrong was a physical deformity of their spine? There are of course all the others who don't have Scoliosis but have MS and some unfortunates have both.

    I don't intend to post again here as I have limited time and would rather use it to help others who are still open to other possible explanations for their health problems. I'm just sorry that others can't at least keep an open mind and see how someone else fares on a new sort of treatment even if they don't feel confident of its relevance.

    PS - I gather that Thimerosal has been withdrawn from some vaccines but mercury in dental amalgams is still being used, except in Denmark where it was apparently banned because of the controversy.
    62/75 (T4-T9 68 degree & T11 - L4 80 degree) 10/19/2010
    45/50 year 2000
    36 yrs old
    Considering, researching surgery for the first time
    S. California
    http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/...ashionista889/

  15. #135
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,729
    i thought that demyelination (splg?) of the spinal cord and those other
    symptoms are signs of MS...?

    i tried reading all of this thread to see if you mention having MS, but
    i got a little....overwhelmed with words...

    also...for those without metal fillings...how would anyone avoid
    mercury, if it is in atmosphere...??
    and the kids with scoli who do not have metal fillings...
    what about them...?

    i do not believe this theory...but i do believe how much you
    have suffered...
    i feel very bad about all you have been thru....
    i do not know what the answer is...
    but i do hope you have better health.
    if you are never on forum again, per your last post...
    i still wish you well.

    jess...& Sparky

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •