Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breast Cancer due to radiation exposure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breast Cancer due to radiation exposure?

I was just wondering if breast cancer is more common among us scoli people due to repeated radiation exposure? I've read on some other threads that some of you have battled breast cancer - and thankfully won! I'm having a biopsy today and just thought about all of the unprotected x-rays I've had throughout the years, yes it listed that as a risk factor. Any insight?
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

I don't know rohrer, but want to wish you well. I've had a biopsy too (years before surgery) and it was fine. Let us know how you go.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

It's been awhile, but there have been other threads on the topic. You might want to do a search using the link above.

Hope your biopsy is negative.

Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

rohrer - wishing you the best for a clean biopsy. cancer is fairly multi factorial, where have we heard that phrase before eh? While radiation is a risk factor, it is also used for curative purposes, to kill cancer cells. If you search you can even find recent study supporting vitamin D deficiency as a risk factor for the progression of several cancers, including colorectal, melanoma, lung and breast cancer. Hopefully all who must be exposed to xray due to scoliosis, go to facilities that use proper shielding to help reduce any risk involved. Everybody is different and i guess that would mean everyone responds differently to exposure. Keeping you in my prayers.

Comment

Radiation and breast CA

As Linda mentioned there have been other posts about this and I remember studies suggesting a higher incidence in persons with scoliosis. In my case, since the scoliosis began around age 11, that's when I began the x-ray monitoring. I never had breast shielding, x-rays may have given higher doses, had more "scatter" and that is the time when breasts are developing.

I did not want radiation for my recent early breast CA because it would negatively impact my breathing capacity and I would still need mammos ultrasounds and MRIs the rest of my life. I also figured in my mind that since I grew cancer in one breast I would be capable of growing it in the other. I elected a bilateral simple mastectomy with reconstruction. Fortunately I had negative nodes and was stage 1 but I had a total of 3 breast tumors.
          In the lab they found another cancer in the opposite "good" breast!!!! This did not show up aon any diagnostoc test and was not felt as was none of my other tumors.

My other strong risk factor was 8 years of hormone replacement therapy. I actually didn't want it but, because of the scoliosis, the doctors urged it. Now science says it doesn't really help bone that much and causes earlier dementia, strokes and cardiac disease!!! That is why the large Nurses Study was aborted before it was scheduled to be completed.

My vit D levels were very good the last 8 years because my bone doctor monitors this regularly.
          Last edited by Karen Ocker; 03-08-2011, 09:15 PM.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

My local surgeon said that studies have NOT shown a higher incidence of cancer among scoliosis patients. But just to make sure, I would insist on the protective coverings! (Wish I'd know about those when I was a teen.)

Evelyn
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Have your doctor read this recent large study

Cancer mortality among women frequently exposed to radiographic examinations for spinal disorders.
              Ronckers CM, Land CE, Miller JS, Stovall M, Lonstein JE, Doody MM.

Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20852, USA.

Abstract
              We studied cancer mortality in a cohort of 5,573 women with scoliosis and other spine disorders who were diagnosed between 1912 and 1965 and were exposed to frequent diagnostic X-ray procedures. Patients were identified from medical records in 14 orthopedic medical centers in the United States and followed for vital status and address through December 31, 2004, using publicly available regional, state and nationwide databases. Causes of death were obtained from death certificates or through linkage with the National Death Index (NDI). Statistical analyses included standardized mortality ratios (SMR = observed/expected) based on death rates for U.S. females and internal comparisons using Cox regression models with attained age as the time scale. Diagnostic radiation exposure was estimated from radiology files for over 137,000 procedures; estimated average cumulative radiation doses to the breast, lung, thyroid and bone marrow were 10.9, 4.1, 7.4 and 1.0 cGy, respectively. After a median follow-up period of 47 years, 1527 women died, including 355 from cancer. Cancer mortality was 8% higher than expected (95% CI = 0.97-1.20). Mortality from breast cancer was significantly elevated (SMR = 1.68; 95% CI: 1.38-2.02), whereas death rates from several other cancers were below expectation, in particular lung (SMR = 0.77), cervical (SMR = 0.31), and liver (SMR = 0.17). The excess relative risk (ERR) for breast cancer mortality increased significantly with 10-year lagged radiation dose to the breast (ERR/Gy = 3.9; 95% CI: 1.0-9.3).

PMID: 20681802 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

This is an older study:1989

J Natl Cancer Inst. 1989 Sep 6;81(17):1307-12.

Breast cancer in women with scoliosis exposed to multiple diagnostic x rays.
                Hoffman DA, Lonstein JE, Morin MM, Visscher W, Harris BS 3rd, Boice JD Jr.

Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, GA.

Abstract
                Although exposure to ionizing radiation is a recognized risk factor for breast cancer, the potential hazard from low-dose, fractionated exposures during early breast development has not been thoroughly evaluated. Women with scoliosis represent a valuable population for studying this issue because they are exposed to multiple diagnostic x rays during childhood and adolescence, times when the breast may be highly sensitive to the carcinogenic effects of radiation. A study was conducted of 1,030 women with scoliosis who were seen at four Minneapolis area medical facilities between 1935 and 1965. The average age at diagnosis was 12.3 years; 60% of the women had idiopathic scoliosis. Individual x-ray films were counted and the number per patient ranged from 0 to 618 films (mean, 41.5). On average, the x-ray exposures were given over an 8.7-year period. Ninety percent of the women were located, of whom over 92% responded to a mail questionnaire or telephone interview. The average period of observation was 26 years. Overall, 11 cases of breast cancer were reported, compared with six expected (standardized incidence ratio = 1.82, 90% confidence interval = 1.0-3.0). Excess risk increased with time since exposure and was highest among those followed for more than 30 years (standardized incidence ratio = 2.4). Risk also increased with the number of x rays and with the estimated radiation dose to the breast (mean, 13 rad). These data suggest that frequent exposure to low-level diagnostic radiation during childhood or adolescence may increase the risk of breast cancer.

PMID: 2769783 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Publication

Comment

Thank you all so much for your concern and information. I will know the results of my biopsy either tomorrow or Thursday. I have been having x-ray exposure including a CT scan since I was 16 years old. No one has ever shielded my breasts and my female organs were shielded only a couple of times. It's something to highly consider for those who have young adolescents having multiple x-rays. The experiences of so many of you has helped me to face this challenge with courage regardless of the outcome. Thank you all for your support and well wishes.
                  Be happy!
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

just wanted to note that the studies about hormones and cancer are all done with synthetic hormones...
                    to date i believe there have been no studies done with bio identical hormones...
                    which are different, despite what the large pharmaceutical companies would have people believe..

rohr you are in my thoughts and prayers today!

jess

Comment

No cancer! Whew, that was scary. Thanks again for all the info and support. ((((HUGS))))
                      Be happy!
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

that is fantastic! really...so very relieved for you!

jess

Comment

Awesome news! You must feel so relieved. =)
                          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Working...
                          X