About to get a brace : help!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to get a brace : help!!!!!

Hi im about to get a brace and i was wondering if anybody has any tips to make life with a brace easier!!!
    hi im Zoe im pretty goofy, i just like to have fun!!!!!im 13 and in seventh grade
    i am a brace girl,i was just diagnosed last week
    i have two dogs that mean the world to me, a 6yr old bernese mountain dog who is 60lbs and thinks shes a lap dog, my other dog is an 8mth old shihpoo puppy(yess shihpoo is a weird name for a breed of dogs)his name is teddyb and he is 10lbs and thinks he is a lion!!!
    i have two curves, one is 32 and the other is 18

Hi Zoe,

I was about your age and in 7th grade when I got my brace. You will make it through this and be a stronger person for it! My recommendation for you would be to "own it." It is a part of you. It doesn't define you.

Best Wishes!
    Resilience

treated w Milwaukee Brace FT for 3 yrs
    currently 46 with 35 LL and 40 RT curves

8 yr old diagnosed w Scoli 8/10 with 27 LL and 27 RT
    11/10 TLSO Full Time
    4/11 22 LL and 24 RT on waiting list for VBS at Shriners Phila
    12/11 curves still in the 20s but now has some rib cage changes from the brace
    VBS 4/25/12 with Dr. Samdani. Pre Op: 29 RT and 25 LL Post Op: 17 RT and 9 LL
    10/13: 15 RT and 10 LL

Comment

Thank you!!!
      hi im Zoe im pretty goofy, i just like to have fun!!!!!im 13 and in seventh grade
      i am a brace girl,i was just diagnosed last week
      i have two dogs that mean the world to me, a 6yr old bernese mountain dog who is 60lbs and thinks shes a lap dog, my other dog is an 8mth old shihpoo puppy(yess shihpoo is a weird name for a breed of dogs)his name is teddyb and he is 10lbs and thinks he is a lion!!!
      i have two curves, one is 32 and the other is 18

Comment

Some tips from a seasoned brace-wearer

Hey Zoe!
        I wore a brace for over 5 years (first a Boston, then a Cheneau), so I have a few tips up my sleeve

1. Pillows are your best friend at night. Use them to try to get more comfortable during the weaning period
        2. FOLLOW THE WEANING SCHEDULE!!! Wear your brace when you're supposed to, for as long as you're supposed to. I can't stress that enough. So many kids try to just not wear the brace and hope things get better on their own. Let me tell you, they won't. The brace is important, so wear it
        3. Find someone who can sew. Clothes are difficult to find while braced, and a friend or relative who sews makes life soo much easier.
        4. Be open about it with your friends and classmates. let them know what's going on and why. I know girls who tried to hide their brace and its way too much effort.
        5. Embrace flow-y shirts and blouses. teeny t-shirts made of tissue paper are gonna get shredded by your brace. Get clothes that aren't tight.
        5. For shirts with weird sleeves, when you're brace undershirt is showing, try wearing the undershirt upside down. Pull the bottom up to your collarbone, like where a strapless top would come, put your brace on and then flip the undershirt over the top edge of the brace. et voila! strapless undershirt
        7. Sports bras are your new best friends. Champion makes some great seamless ones.
        8. Take a night off once in awhile (just not too often!). for special occasions, like dances or weddings, I was allowed to have an evening off. I would wear a pretty dress and have a blast! (This usually happened once or twice a year).
        9. Comfy shoes, comfy shoes, comfy shoes. A brace is uncomfortable, so don't add to your discomfort by wearing shoes that will make your feet hurt.
        10. Try to connect with an older girl with scoli. Try your doctor's office or something, they might have names of girls who are willing to work with younger girls. If you want, email me at 71ruesch@cardinalmail.cua.edu, and I'd be happy to talk with you more! GOOD LUCK!
        Hey, so I'm Rebecca, I'm 20 and I wore a Boston Brace for one year, and then a Cheneau brace for 5+ years. The Cheneau changed my life. I now am out of brace full time!!!! Its amazing. For all my scoli-girls (and guys of course) hang in there - the day you get your brace off is the best feeling ever. All the years of wearing it won't matter when that day comes. amo vobis!

"DUX FEMINA FACTI (The leader of the deed was a WOMAN!)"
        -Virgel

Comment

helpful thing to get

I've been wearing my brace for a month now and i feel like i have been wearing it my WHOLE life!!! Here are some life saving things you should get.

1. Buy as many belts as you possibly can! (if you don't want your pant falling down)

2. Underwear that will come up right under your waist

3. Socks that don't cover your ankle

4. A memory foam mattress and pillow(it make every difference in the world)

5. Jeans that will stretch, or sweat pants

Don't be scared about getting a brace, I was really excited about it and after we found out that i had scoli everything that i couldn't do made sense!
          Finally Don't Be embarrassed about it, theres really nothing you can do to stop it. Hang In There!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

Comment

Good tips

Im 10 and ive had a brace for 4 years.
            i was about 5 when we found out.
            I still need as much tips that i can get. do you have any?

Comment

Working...
            X